Outfielders

Mishael Deson (21)

Some updates to the roster today:

Rolphy Cruz released

Several players added:

OF Yirber Ruiz

C Miguel Rodriguez 

SS Edrei Campos

Three players assigned to rehab assignments with FCL Orioles: Max Wagner, Jake Cunningham, and Terrin Vavra.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warehouse said:

Some updates to the roster today:

Rolphy Cruz released

Several players added:

OF Yirber Ruiz

C Miguel Rodriguez 

SS Edrei Campos

Three players assigned to rehab assignments with FCL Orioles: Max Wagner, Jake Cunningham, and Terrin Vavra.

Rolphy Cruz certainly fell hard.  Earned a mid-season promotion to Delmarva last year after posting a 1.192 OPS in the FCL, and he’s out of the org less than 11 months later.  

9 hours ago, Yossarian said:

There is a 29 year-old pitcher on the FCL squad? Or is that a typo?

No, Ronald Guzman has three years of MLB service time as a position player and is attempting to become a pitcher.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, interloper said:

I'm low key excited for the Terrin Vavra comeback tour. I just like that guy. 

I’ll second that. Always liked a hitter that could navigate the strike zone.

The FCL, Delmarva, and even Aberdeen, are always going to have “bad” records until we get the DSL pipeline fully going into top 5-10 mode. I have faith in Perez. 

We don’t draft HS kids and the college players that are good are pretty much in Aberdeen right away. 

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The FCL, Delmarva, and even Aberdeen, are always going to have “bad” records until we get the DSL pipeline fully going into top 5-10 mode. I have faith in Perez. 

We don’t draft HS kids and the college players that are good are pretty much in Aberdeen right away. 

It’s getting pretty close to put up or shut up time for our Latin American program.  This isn’t 2018 anymore.  Perez has been on the job for 5+ years.  First two years, we all understand he was playing catch-up because a lot of these kids make commitments 2 years before they can be formally signed.   But that really shouldn’t have impacted our last three signing classes, populating the Carolina League, FCL and DSL by now.   I haven’t really drilled down, but it feels like we are still getting a below average share of the talent down there, based on the record of those teams and just skimming the individual leaderboards.  Last year, Delmarva was 56-74 and the FCL team was 22-32.   The players on this Delmarva team are either holdovers from last year or guys promoted from the FCL, so it’s not surprising that Delmarva is pretty bad.  Our two DSL teams were 35-19 and 20-35, so 55-54 collectively in a league where 20 MLB teams have two affiliates while the other 10 have just one (and therefore can concentrate their talent in one team).   That gives me some hope that our FCL team will be more competitive this year, though their first two games were uninspiring.