Credit where it’s due to Melanie Newman

4 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

She did a national telecast last year of all women and MLB was really hyping it up.  It was cringe.  Halfway through the game she made a gaff where she did not know a basic rule of the game.  I forget what it was now but maybe you can research that.  She is not good at her job.  

I know she's not, and I've said that more than once.  I was arguing your reasoning, not your basic point.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

God I missed that one.  Holy crap.  

She said something to the affect that the batter had previously hit I o a DP and wouldn’t it be nice if he could do it again.  Neither Ben or Melanie seemed to  realize that the O’s lost the DH once Rutschman became the catcher.   Didn’t mention it once.

I was watching with my wife last night (who likes baseball, but doesn't usually spend much time worrying about the broadcasters) and her reaction to Newman was "ugh, she's so annoying, where's the other guy?" 

5 minutes ago, Otter said:

Yes, I do remember that about Manfra.  But Manfra was a good broadcaster with a good voice and delivery, but bad at describing the baseball action.  Melanie is terrible at both.

I don't have any problem with Melanie's voice, though Manfra certainly did have a good radio voice.   I'm not too sure about the disctinction you're making between delivery and describing the baseball action.   I will say that if I was locked in a room and had to choose between radio PBP by Fred or Melanie, I'd probably go with Fred.   But in both cases, I far preferred it when they were doing color rather than PBP.

1 minute ago, deward said:

I was watching with my wife last night (who likes baseball, but doesn't usually spend much time worrying about the broadcasters) and her reaction to Newman was "ugh, she's so annoying, where's the other guy?" 

There is also the sound of her voice when she goes up in energy that is not pleasant to the ear.  Its like nails on a chalkboard.  Its like she is telling me to get off my butt and take out the trash.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

She said something to the affect that the batter had previously hit I o a DP and wouldn’t it be nice if he could do it again.  Neither Ben or Melanie seemed to  realize that the O’s lost the DH once Rutschman became the catcher.   Didn’t mention it once.

I didn't listen to all of the game because I often mute it, but I did catch this.  When Kjerstad was pinch hitting they didn't once mention that a new pitcher was coming in.  But later when they saw something in the dugout Ben said something like "Suarez night.. probably done".  Uhm, yes, definitely done since he was pinch hit for haha.  

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

She did a national telecast last year of all women and MLB was really hyping it up.  It was cringe.  Halfway through the game she made a gaff where she did not know a basic rule of the game.  I forget what it was now but maybe you can research that.  She is not good at her job.  

Newman didn't know how far the runners could advance on a ground rule double. She thought the runner on 1B could score on one.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Newman didn't know how far the runners could advance on a ground rule double. She thought the runner on 1B could score on one.

Wow you remembered!  How did you remember the exact mistake?  I just remember being gobsmacked and horrified and embarrassed for her at the time.  It being a special hyped all women telecast.  

Just now, Gurgi said:

Wow you remembered!  How did you remember the exact mistake?  I just remember being gobsmacked and horrified and embarrassed for her at the time.  It being a special hyped all women telecast.  

I was watching the game when it happened and was surprised an MLB announcer would be ignorant of how a ground rule double worked.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was watching the game when it happened and was surprised an MLB announcer would be ignorant of how a ground rule double worked.

Okay so I wasnt the only one.  I was really shocked at the time.  It was NOT a good look for their special game.  

36 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

So it’s just me that saw a difference, then. Alright. 

Last night and the night before was the first time I was able to listen to her at any length and I was more impressed than I thought I would be.  That said, I think she still has a long way to go, but I also think a lot of the angst is misplaced.  Matching her up with Ben was a very astute choice on somebody's part.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Just put two and two together and realized tomorrow night is an Apple TV broadcast.  

So, two straight games free of Kevin Brown.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952sx2deb63pkhrcxftiw

I think the crew in the booth is by far the weakest part of the Apple broadcasts, from what I've seen so far. Not a fan at all.