Why Elias took Holliday over Drew Jones in 2022 draft

Cuellar35

I think most players leverage their college commitment for more money. I find it hard to believe with Elias track record of developing hitting talent Jones wouldn’t want to come here. I’m sure money played a small factor but ultimately Elias and Co liked Holiday rapid development.

If Andruw told Elias not to draft his kid Elias was totally mum on it.  He did not let it slip out of his draft room.  Which makes sense because it would just make the Orioles look like the Colts of 1982.  I would guess Andruw and the agent have been quiet.  If the coach learned about it then Druw probably told his coaches.

15 minutes ago, Cuellar35 said:

My only educated guess is that it had more to do with the O's ownership and less to do with how we develop players.  Sometimes fate intervenes in mysterious ways!

Can you explain? Holliday is a Boras guy. 

I think you're overthinking it. IIRC there were like 3-4 players (Holliday, Jones, Johnson, Green?) that could conceivably have been chosen 1:1. Elias took who he thought was the best player.

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Can you explain? Holliday is a Boras guy. 

You mean Druw is a Boras guy?  Holliday obviously didn't have an issue with Baltimore and the Jones family did.  Obviously this plan did not come from Boras or he would of tried to get Holliday to bauk in the draft as well.  Its all kind of odd.  

This guy has no obvious reason to lie about it but he could be totally wrong.  Maybe it never happened.  

Jacob Calvin Meyer of The Baltimore Sun had a fairly in-depth article on this a few weeks ago. There is no mention of signability.  Rather, it goes through the process of how the O’s concluded that Holiday was the best prospect.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/04/12/orioles-jackson-holliday-scouts/#:~:text=Jackson Holliday%2C the No.,his introduction at Camden Yards.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Is Jones already washed out or something?

NO he is in A ball doing kind of meh.  Likely he still makes the majors but his bat so far does not look like an asset.  Going to be a legs glove guy.  

1 hour ago, Cuellar35 said:

I live in the Atlanta area.  In May 2022 the choice was thought to be Druw (I apologize for the earlier missspelling).  I decided to go see Wesleyan's first round playoff game to see him.  None other than Mike Elias was there as well.  Druw's first AB was an absolute rope of a HR.  Nothing from that doubleheader suggested Druw was anything but a stud.  Then the draft rolls around and the Birds take Jackson. My brother's son played on a little league team coached by the brother of the Wesleyan head coach, who informed his brother that Andruw told Elias that Druw would not sign with the O's if they drafted him but would honor his commitment to attend Vanderbilt.  I have confirmed this with several other sources.  So Elias had no choice but to take Holliday.  I don't think any O's fan is complaining!  I'm simply surprised this story has never been brought out.

I'm not saying this is not true, but why would he not sign with the Orioles? I have hard time believing a young man was going to forgo 1:1 money out of high school because for some reason he doesn't like the Orioles? None of this makes any sense.

As for Holliday over Jones, every indication was that Elias and company felt Holliday was the best player available. The fact that he would sign for under slot and give the Orioles additional money (which unfortunately they blew on Carter Young) was a bonus.

Also, every indication is that Elias was right on as Holliday is the number one prospect in baseball and despite his major league struggles, he's going to be just fine. 

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, but currently in low A ball in what’s considered a hitters league with a .253 AVG, .737 OPS and 37% strikeout rate.    Red flags.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Where you go matters. I don’t have any reason to think Arizona’s development system isn’t good. They have clearly developed good players.

But who is to say Jones wouldn’t be doing better with us?  

I think Elias made the right choice and felt it at the time. Holliday was the only other player I felt should be taken at 1 unless they felt they could unlock whatever plagued Elijah Green. His talent was 1st pick worthy but so many question marks. Still, had the Os taken green, I would have trusted that they saw something easy to fix.

But after hearing Elias explain why they took Holliday, it made perfect sense.

Still, I don’t think Jones failing means it’s a slam dunk Holliday will be better. Jones is still young and he started off his career with some injury issues, so that put him behind. And maybe if he’s drafted here, we do a better job at developing him. Who knows?

Doesnt matter, we have the guy that is likely the better player and that’s all that matters.

3 hours ago, Gurgi said:

NO he is in A ball doing kind of meh.  Likely he still makes the majors but his bat so far does not look like an asset.  Going to be a legs glove guy.  

If he becomes what Bradfield looks like he could be, that's a big disappointment for Arizona.