The Os will be in the playoffs

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Yeah, I had a very similar reaction to the thread about upgrading McCann and Urias as well.  Those roster spots aren't what is going to define this season.

But I'm not sure I agree with your remedies.

1) I'm not against getting a high leverage reliever, but I'm not willing to give up value beyond Stowers and Norby, so I don't see how high leverage that gets you.

2) That sounds about right, but we don't know if he can outperform Mateo this year.

3) The only way there's really significant at-bats for Mayo in lieu of an injury is if he's a better defender than Santader in RF, or they feel comfortable w him in LF, and that seems highly unlikely. 

There are clearly at bats available for Mayo and let’s not get into this overrating Mateo stuff again.  You should have learned your lesson.

He is doing well in a part time role and they are riding him playing well for the moment but Holliday is the clear better option and will be the obvious starter within 6 weeks.  And we all know this isn’t what Mateo really is. That has been proven.

That said, he can have a role on this team and he is proving to be an asset, which is good to see.

As for what to trade, I think that’s an awful take but it is what it is.  Some people are ok with hoping for the best and if that doesn’t work out, so be it.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

There are clearly at bats available for Mayo and let’s not get into this overrating Mateo stuff again.  You should have learned your lesson.

He is doing well in a part time role and they are riding him playing well for the moment but Holliday is the clear better option and will be the obvious starter within 6 weeks.

As for what to trade, I think that’s an awful take but it is what it is.  Some people are ok with hoping for the best and if that doesn’t work out, so be it.

Where are the ABs for Mayo? Verse a lefty you have Hays/Santander/Mountcastle above him as a bat.  He's worse than them defensively.  There's abs for him at DH vs LHP. If you stop using it to rest Rutch. Are you ready to bring him up to do that and only that? Because there's not 200 abs in that role for the rest of the season.

It's not about Mateo vs Holliday.  It's about Holliday didn't look ready to be playing in the MLs.  If 3 weeks in the MiLs can fix that, great.  I'm skeptical.

As to what to trade, instead of just throwing out stupid descriptives, give me names.  Are you willing to trade Basallo?  Mayo? Kjerstad?  Because if not, then Stowers and Norby are about the best you have.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He is doing well in a part time role and they are riding him playing well for the moment but Holliday is the clear better option and will be the obvious starter within 6 weeks.  And we all know this isn’t what Mateo really is. That has been proven.

That said, he can have a role on this team and he is proving to be an asset, which is good to see.

Not disagreeing with your take, but Mateo has better speed, defense and mlb experience. His adaptation to 2b defense tells me he’s the better defender in 2024+

Will Holiday’s bat play in 2024? It is an open question. 

18 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Where are the ABs for Mayo? Verse a lefty you have Hays/Santander/Mountcastle above him as a bat.  He's worse than them defensively.  There's abs for him at DH vs LHP. If you stop using it to rest Rutch. Are you ready to bring him up to do that and only that? Because there's not 200 abs in that role for the rest of the season.

It's not about Mateo vs Holliday.  It's about Holliday didn't look ready to be playing in the MLs.  If 3 weeks in the MiLs can fix that, great.  I'm skeptical.

As to what to trade, instead of just throwing out stupid descriptives, give me names.  Are you willing to trade Basallo?  Mayo? Kjerstad?  Because if not, then Stowers and Norby are about the best you have.

I’m willing to trade anyone but Holliday, Mayo and Basallo..in terms of prospects.

Im also willing to trade some ML pieces.

As for Mayo…yes I think there are at bats there vs lefties all over…enough to justify him being brought up after he gets time in RF and shows he can handle it.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Not disagreeing with your take, but Mateo has better speed, defense and mlb experience. His adaptation to 2b defense tells me he’s the better defender in 2024+

Will Holiday’s bat play in 2024? It is an open question. 

Please stop overrating and overvaluing Mateo. Os fans really can’t learn their lesson with this guy.

He is thriving in his role right now and that’s great. He looks to be turning into a good super UTI guy although we still need to see more of it.

But let’s stop with the idea that he should play over Holliday long term this season.

Edited by Sports Guy

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Please stop overrating and overvaluing Mateo. Os fans really can’t learn their lesson with this guy.

He is thriving in his role right now and that’s great. He looks to be turning into a good super UTI guy although we still need to see more of it.

But let’s stop with the idea that he should play over Holliday long term this season.

Not saying that at all, but Holliday taking up a spot on a mlb roster in the playoffs should mean he has a proven mlb bat.

Without question, Mateo is the better fielder and runner as a 2b option (as we type).

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m willing to trade anyone but Holliday, Mayo and Basallo..in terms of prospects.

Im also willing to trade some ML pieces.

As for Mayo…yes I think there are at bats there vs lefties all over…enough to justify him being brought up after he gets time in RF and shows he can handle it.

Ok, so maybeeeeee you'd trade Kjerstad???  Because what else is more valuable than Stowers or Norby?

There are no ML pieces to give up now that would make sense.

I find the presumption that Mayo can just pick up RF and play it better than Hays or Santander at the ML level in a few weeks faulty.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Yankees have won 8 of their last 10 and Judge is beginning  to heat up...another HR today...his 11th...and they'll get Cole back...theyre gonna be very tough to beat...im glad we won some games vs them early...

I Unfortunately agree!

14 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Not saying that at all, but Holliday taking up a spot on a mlb roster in the playoffs should mean he has a proven mlb bat.

Without question, Mateo is the better fielder and runner as a 2b option (as we type).

Holliday will be the clear better option by then.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Ok, so maybeeeeee you'd trade Kjerstad???  Because what else is more valuable than Stowers or Norby?

There are no ML pieces to give up now that would make sense.

I find the presumption that Mayo can just pick up RF and play it better than Hays or Santander at the ML level in a few weeks faulty.

1) There are plenty  of ML pieces that make sense to trade.

2) that doesn’t surprise me because you overrate those players

3) Povich, McDermott, some of the Intl talent and you can argue guys like Bradfield and Beavers could be more valuable than those guys.

Those guys are fine to trade but limiting to them as the “best guys” is faulty and close minded.

Just now, oriolediehard said:

Why can't the O's try Cade Povich or McDermott in the BP?

They may but those guys still may be needed in the rotation this year. You never know with injuries and stuff like that.

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the question is whether Holliday will be ready this year. He is very young and may not be able to match Mateo's production. I hope Holliday is ready but I'm glad we have Mateo as a Plan B if he struggles.