Are we actually 27-14 with the highest runs/game in the AL?

Frobby

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The only people that have seen the organization in a healthier spot are 60 years old or older.  And I can't believe that is the majority of anywhere near it of posters here.

True.  

Kind of hard to remember what my thoughts were in the late 90s.  I thought that guys like Rick Krivda, Rocky Coppinger, Curtis Goodwin and Alex Ochoa were going to be stars, I'm pretty sure.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

True.  

Kind of hard to remember what my thoughts were in the late 90s.  I thought that guys like Rick Krivda, Rocky Coppinger, Curtis Goodwin and Alex Ochoa were going to be stars, I'm pretty sure.  

Larry Bigbie was a big five tool guy.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nobody mentioned it because it’s an utterly false narrative.  The team has a Pythagorean record based on runs scored and allowed of 26-15, compared to their actual record of 27-14.  That’s a minimal amount of luck.  

I don’t disagree, but the reason you posted this comment in the first place was because from folks are complaining and complaining vociferously, and a dominant refrain is that we’re not THAT good and something needs to be done or the sky will fall.

A couple of days ago I went through the standings and compared most teams Pythagorean record with their real record, and every single record that I checked was within one or two games of Pythagorean. We were one game “lucky” and the Yankees were one game unlucky.

but the perception remains, and it sure seems that we’ve won a lot of games on a single lucky hit or a single bad play by the other guy.

One of my personal sayings has always been, “we make our own luck.” And good teams make their own luck, take advantage of the other guys flaw, or pick each other up when they fail, that’s actually what we’re doing, and that’s something to celebrate, but…

I for one would like a string of 11-1 victories. I don’t think it’s going to happen this weekend, but I do expect to win all three games 3-1-ish.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Larry Bigbie was a big five tool guy.

He doesn't even make the Larry All Stars. Walker, Larry Wayne Jones, Doby, Dierker, Histle, Jackson, Gura, Parrish, Laughing Larry Doyle, Larry Benard McDonald (who knew?), Anderson, Bowa, Biittner, Jansen, Gardner, French, Sheets, Corcoran, Milbourne, McWilliams, Christenson, McLean...

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

True.  

I was devastated when Tampa Bay selected Aaron Ledesma with the expansion draft.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, interloper said:

I don't personally love pointing to us having the highest runs in the game because that is based on one hot month. With all the current slumps (are they slumps or something worse?), that stat holds less and less water because we are not going to have the most runs for much longer. 

3 hours ago, interloper said:

27-14 is a small sample size, period. We've seen two very different versions of this team in a month and a half.

So their 1.5 month stats/record is skewed by a good 1 month?

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

We could win 11-1 tonight, and there'd be 3 pages complaining about the lineup tomorrow.

Should have saved some of the bullets in the chamber, if we're being honest. No need to waste them on overkill. SMH Hyde...

57 minutes ago, Philip said:

This kind of supports my argument. Even though people say we are a good team, I think that a lot of us don’t really think we are. Yes, Seattle has splendid pitching, but… We do too.

So, instead of saying “oh my God we’re facing a fantastic pitching staff”, why aren’t we saying, “oh my God, THEY are facing a fantastic pitching staff”?

And regardless of flaws in our hitting approach, we are a top offense. Seattle is pretty dreadful at the plate.

That’s the imposter complex; the idea that we’re really not that good and it’s all some kind of a charade. 

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/476907

Always love an excuse to dig this up...

Before the Baltimore Orioles finished their series against the New York Yankees on Wednesday, reporters asked O's center fielder Adam Jones about facing Masahiro Tanaka.

And how exactly, does a three-time All-Star reply to such a question about a rookie pitcher, no matter how good his international record is?

"Why don't you ask Tanaka about me? I'm the one who's been over here in the major leagues for a while. Congratulations, he did it over there. Don't make it like he's the dirtiest guy in the world. He was 24-0-in Japan."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

It's human nature.  Nobody takes the time to fire off messages about what they're happy about.

I'm as guilty of it as anybody.  I virtually never respond to a post that I agree with.  I only respond when I disagree, and the more I disagree, the more likely I am to respond.

I just wanted to say it makes me happy to agree with this post.  You have made my day!  Well done.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yes? What are you trying to nail me on here?

I’m not trying to nail anyone, but do you expect perfect consistency from any team?  I track the team’s record in 10-game segments.  So far: 6-4, 7-3, 6-4, 7-3.  And 1-0 in the current segment.  They may have hit better in some segments and pitched better in others, but who cares?   They have played winning baseball throughout the season.  The ability to win when the offense isn’t at its best is a strength, not a weakness.  And the offensive slump of 14 games is not more indicative of this team than the previous 27 games.  It’s a pretty normal ebb and flow.  Teams aren’t metronomes.  

58 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/476907

Always love an excuse to dig this up...

I love Adam Jones.

”sometimes you suck.” Another one of my “sayings to live by”
 I think Nike or some athletic company had an ad campaign built around that concept, the theme was that if you fail, you try again.

I always think of Adam Jones when I saw that commercial.