FIX THE DANG BULLPEN

DocJJ

22 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Further …. The bullpen is being overused for a team with 6 starters …need more length.

Does the team even have 6 starters with both Kremer and Means on the IL.  IMO, the O's need to stop with the 6 starter nonsense.  Hyde struggles with a 8 man bullpen.  Giving him a 7 man bullpen is asking for trouble.

• Upvote 1

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

Does the team even have 6 starters with both Kremer and Means on the IL.  IMO, the O's need to stop with the 6 starter nonsense.  Hyde struggles with a 8 man bullpen.  Giving him a 7 man bullpen is asking for trouble.

Yeah, the Kremer injury brings us back to five unless both Suarez and Irvin stick in the rotation. It seems like more of a modified five man rotation until the rotation gets set.

Bullpen will be interesting today with Cano, Coulombe, and Kimbrel all having pitched back to back. Akin fans could get to see him in a big spot.

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah, the Kremer injury brings us back to five unless both Suarez and Irvin stick in the rotation. It seems like more of a modified five man rotation until the rotation gets set.

Bullpen will be interesting today with Cano, Coulombe, and Kimbrel all having pitched back to back. Akin fans could get to see him in a big spot.

Akin, Perez, Tate, Vespi, and Webb should be available. And I would avoid using Webb if at all possible because his over-usage is affecting his performance 

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Perez would not have been my bullpen bingo choice for the save and he made it interesting but got it done! 

Tate came up huge.

Hopefully the "Akin is our best reliever" narrative can finally be put to rest.

I know you hate it, but if he had to get 3 outs instead of 4 as he should have this game was a shutout. Continue your crusade against the metrics.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

I know you hate it, but if he had to get 3 outs instead of 4 as he should have this game was a shutout. Continue your crusade against the metrics.

Lol, I am not against metrics, I am against using small sample sizes to pretend Akin is good. 4 outs or not, good pitchers don't get themselves in those situations, and find a way to get out of them when they do. 

6 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

Want to fix the bullpen than have our starting pitching pitch deeper into games. 

In 2024, pitching deep into games means finishing 6 innings.  No team averages 6 innings a game from their starters.  I think some don't even average 5.  (Someone will tell me one way or the other in about 10 minutes).  This isn't 1970.  No starting pitcher finishes more than a couple of a games a year, max.  Some aces never make it to the 9th inning. 

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Perez would not have been my bullpen bingo choice for the save and he made it interesting but got it done! 

Tate came up huge.

Hopefully the "Akin is our best reliever" narrative can finally be put to rest.

It was a 1-2-3 inning. How did he ‘make it interesting’?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I haven’t heard any 6 SP talk since Means got injured.  We don’t even have 5 now.

Hyde struggles because of how he manages the pitcher in the game. Too quick with the hook on RP, unless they’re ‘respected.’

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol, I am not against metrics, I am against using small sample sizes to pretend Akin is good. 4 outs or not, good pitchers don't get themselves in those situations, and find a way to get out of them when they do. 

You seem to be against metrics if you’re always complaining about Baumann getting DFA instead of optioning Akin. Akin had bad results last year, but was a good pitcher.  Look at his K:BB ratio, his .434 BABIP, and his FIP. If he doesn’t have bad luck last year, he’s been very good the last 3 years. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

You seem to be against metrics if you’re always complaining about Baumann getting DFA instead of optioning Akin. Akin had bad results last year, but was a good pitcher.  Look at his K:BB ratio, his .434 BABIP, and his FIP. If he doesn’t have bad luck last year, he’s been very good the last 3 years. 

You actually made some good points about his FIP and K/BB which I should have acknowledged. I am not on a crusade against metrics as much as I am just sick of Akin consistently underperforming his good attributes. My take on optioning Akin was mostly about keeping control of Baumann.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

8 straight games with the pen giving up a run.

OUCH!

Trey McGough is quietly having a nice year at AAA.  Maybe he could be a piece?  

Otherwise, we're going to have to swing a trade or two....