My biggest question entering the season

24 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If you sit at the table now Boras will act like the 50 homer season has already been accomplished.

I'm not mad at Boras. His job is to get his client the most money possible. That's what every player hires him for.

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

You mean "additional" in addition to Kimbrel? Because that was a pretty big signing and he's been as advertised aside from a few hiccups.

Yes, I meant additional. I liked the Kimbrel signing, but I thought we needed another quality arm out of the pen. I haven't been confident in Cano as the regular setup man for a long time. Couple that with Kimbrel's age and the need for some insurance – and I thought another bullpen arm made sense. Plus, you can never have too much pitching. 

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm not mad at Boras. His job is to get his client the most money possible. That's what every player hires him for.

Just saying.  There’s probably never a good time to sit down and talk to Boras.  He’s going to paint the most optimistic outcome for his client and then he’s going to tell you to pay market value or top so and so’s contract.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Just saying.  There’s probably never a good time to sit down and talk to Boras.  He’s going to paint the most optimistic outcome for his client and then he’s going to tell you to pay market value or top so and so’s contract.

I hear you. But IMO that's what he should do. And if there is a possibility to keep Gunnar before FA, it's going to come at a big price tag, as it should because he is worth it! There aren't many better in the game and we are literally paying no one and haven't in quite some time.

59 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Hopefully Elias does his homework 📚 with Sig & staff before negotiating with Boras .  Boras will find out Elias is no Angelos . 

Posted (edited)

If Gunnar is getting a top of market deal he's looking at probably 13 years at 40 million a season.  So 13/560.  Let's work backwards from there.  He has 1 more pre-arb year, then 4 arb years at 20%, 20% 50% and 80%.  So let's subtract 140m.  That puts at 13/420.  Let's give a 10% discount because he's signing a very long guaranteed deal, so that's 13/380.

That's probably what it will take to sign him.  If he wants an opt out in, say, 2031 we can probably lop off another 40 million. So 13/340 with an opt out, or 13/380 without.  

That would easily be the largest pre-arb extension in MLB history.  Knowing his agent I think that's what we're looking at.  Would you do that?

Edited by Hallas

16 minutes ago, Hallas said:

If Gunnar is getting a top of market deal he's looking at probably 13 million at 40 million a season.  So 13/560.  Let's work backwards from there.  He has 1 more pre-arb year, then 4 arb years at 20%, 20% 50% and 80%.  So let's subtract 140m.  That puts at 13/420.  Let's give a 10% discount because he's signing a very long guaranteed deal, so that's 13/380.

That's probably what it will take to sign him.  If he wants an opt out in, say, 2031 we can probably lop off another 40 million. So 13/340 with an opt out, or 13/380 without.  

That would easily be the largest pre-arb extension in MLB history.  Knowing his agent I think that's what we're looking at.  Would you do that?

Yes.  This is they guy you do that for.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I hear you. But IMO that's what he should do. And if there is a possibility to keep Gunnar before FA, it's going to come at a big price tag, as it should because he is worth it! There aren't many better in the game and we are literally paying no one and haven't in quite some time.

I didn’t say they shouldn’t talk to Boras.  I took your comments to mean it would be too late after a 50 home run season.   I can assure you that Boras is going to represent Henderson as a 50 home run man today.