My biggest question entering the season

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Urias has been surpassed by Mateo and is barely playing and when he is playing, he’s not hitting at all.

But Hays is a problem. They need his RH bat but he’s not hitting anything and he’s swinging at awful pitches and he has largely been awful for the last 5 months of baseball.

It is an issue when you run into a situation like last night and these are your two RH options on the bench. Poor roster construction to not have a bat to ball guy in either of those bench spots. Neither has speed either. Just two slightly above avg defenders, who are liabilities with the bat.

• Downvote 1

Norby for Urias makes a ton of sense. Not a great defensive 2B but you don't really need that from your bench guy. If he comes in to PH for Mateo or Stowers, you have a viable defense of Norby 2B, Gunnar SS, Westburg 3B. Eventually Holliday takes that spot. 

I think we keep auditioning Stowers and Cowser while keeping Kjerstad as an option in AAA if either fail.  

I think we should keep Hays for now and keep giving him chances. He is a year removed from one of his best seasons and can be a defensive asset even if we stop using him as a hitting option.

Great summary. Hope some moves are coming. For one, I'd like to see what Norby's right handed bat would do while Mayo heals and Holliday gets it together. Is Norby worse in the field than Kjerstad? Hays looks completely beat. Last night - bases loaded - no outs - strike out/weak tap to the mound/strike out. That was the game and that just ties into your summary. Yes we need relief pitching but we need a more rounded offense too. Westburg is rapidly becoming my favorite player. I love his game.

• Upvote 1

I think Mullins becomes our late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner, with Cowser taking over as starter in CF.

I still think we need Hays and his RH bat in LF.  He can platoon with Stowers or Krjstad.  I believe one or the other will be traded for bullpen help.

The way Mateo is playing on both offense and defense I don't think he gets replaced any time soon.  Holliday will need to wait.

I also think Urias is pretty safe for a while - O's love their veteran role players.  That said if his average isn't considerably higher by second half could see them giving Norby a shot.  Norway could also be involved in a trade for bullpen.

I’m still wondering why we have one of the leagues lowest payrolls.

Doesn’t make sense.

3 minutes ago, Phil Beckett said:

Doesn’t make sense.

You still don’t want to talk about baseball.   Hmmmm.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

You still don’t want to talk about baseball.   Hmmmm.

I’m confused. Are the Orioles a soccer team?

10 minutes ago, Phil Beckett said:

Doesn’t make sense.

Because the most valuable players on the team haven't even reached arbitration yet. It makes perfect sense.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Beckett said:

I’m confused. Are the Orioles a soccer team?

This thread has nothing to do with the payroll.  Do you have any ability to talk about the actual players?

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This thread has nothing to do with the payroll.  Do you have any ability to talk about the actual players?

I like Boog 

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Because the most valuable players on the team haven't even reached arbitration yet. It makes perfect sense.

Wow. I’ve never rooted for a perfect team before. Even the 60/70’s Orioles, which is still their best era. 

Do you call this rebuilding complete? Now you 100% trust the owners of this team?

pretty cool