The 2024 Trade Deadline

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

No, I you missed my point completely. I’m saying that a large amount of trade discussion includes an unwillingness to trade the guys we have who have value.

If we want to get someone worth having, we’re going to have to give someone worth having. The humor is that too many people in this comment thread ignore that.

Bingo.  Every team message board does this.   I am a big Colts fan and they do the same.  

We have a plethora of guys on the farm who may or may not make it.  Right now we have  MLB team that 'could' win the WS.

With the pitching injuries we have, and considering how it is very possible that 3 of them may not return until 2026?   IMO you have to make a trade.  And make a trade with some of your better prospects.  JH included. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Bingo.  Every team message board does this.   I am a big Colts fan and they do the same.  

We have a plethora of guys on the farm who may or may not make it.  Right now we have  MLB team that 'could' win the WS.

With the pitching injuries we have, and considering how it is very possible that 3 of them may not return until 2026?   IMO you have to make a trade.  And make a trade with some of your better prospects.  JH included. 

A trade like this would be our Archer trade. You make that trade literally never 

53 minutes ago, Philip said:

Ok, no problem, but what I said doesn’t imply Panic Mode. But all of the guys we have, whether 3 or 5, are tenuous in some way, and it is imprudent to assume they will last the season or maintain current performance. McDermott has potential, but like Povich, who has only two starts, is a great unknown.

So getting a solid starter now isn’t panic, it’s just doing what is needed now.

In July the O's go back to a 5 man rotation.   Burnes, GRod, Suarez, Irvin and Kremer.  Povich and McDermott will be starter depth unless Povich is pitching so well they can't send him down.

I would be shopping Norby and a lesser minor leaguer for a late inning reliever.  Not a starter at this point.

48 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

You've made your feelings very known about Holliday. But you know in your heart and based on Elias' track record that there is almost zero chance that the Orioles trade him.

2 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Holiday and a Heston for him?  If I am the O's I do it. 

Are you a Cubs fan? Because that would be a trade that would benefit them in a tremendous way.

What chance to do you the Orioles or any competent franchise trades the number 1 prospect in the sport and another top 30 prospect for a pitcher who will almost certainly get injured? 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

This is complete Blasphemy, but what about trading Westburg? He’s so good he might work as the only piece in the trade.

Yes it is BLASPHEMY and CRAZY! You don't trade guys with that kind of "clutch" gene. Why would we be worried about "the only piece" in a trade? I would rather trade worse players (multiple) than the singular better player.

24 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You've made your feelings very known about Holliday. But you know in your heart and based on Elias' track record that there is almost zero chance that the Orioles trade him.

I like Holiday.   Quite a bit.   So I don't want people to think that I think he will be a failure.  

He should be a very good player for a lot of years.

Just don't see elite.   And I want elite. :)

22 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Are you a Cubs fan? Because that would be a trade that would benefit them in a tremendous way.

What chance to do you the Orioles or any competent franchise trades the number 1 prospect in the sport and another top 30 prospect for a pitcher who will almost certainly get injured? 

I think Shota will be a great pitcher for a long time.  That is why I say that.

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

I like Holiday.   Quite a bit.   So I don't want people to think that I think he will be a failure.  

He should be a very good player for a lot of years.

Just don't see elite.   And I want elite. :)

I'm not people. I'm one person who speaks for myself (singularly) and only.

Also, I know that you think highly of yourself (and that is your prerogative). But just because you (singularly) don't see "elite" the MAJORITY of the baseball industry does, including guys who make a living evaluating baseball talent/players. So I'm going to have to lean into the opinion of the many experts including our own scouts and front office as opposed to what you see.

But I appreciate and respect your right to share your opinion.

Just curious what do you see in Gunnar the first two months of last season (if you were watching)? I don't remember the handle that you use being here. Maybe I missed it, wouldn't be the first time.

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I think Shota will be a great pitcher for a long time.  That is why I say that.

What makes him injury-prone? Most of them get hurt at some point. Burnes is one of the very few top level/elite pitchers who has managed to survive without major injury so far.

29 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Yes it is BLASPHEMY and CRAZY! You don't trade guys with that kind of "clutch" gene. Why would we be worried about "the only piece" in a trade? I would rather trade worse players (multiple) than the singular better player.

Hahahaha thank you, my brother. That’s exactly the reaction I expected.