The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

They are getting Woo back.   Stanek is a FA in three months.   They need offense.

Not sure why you would want Stanek, but OK, definitely Understand why you would want Miller, lot of control Bref sat no FA til 2030. That for pieces that are almost redundant. I think Elias would do that all day long, not sure why Seattle would.

They are getting Woo back.   Stanek is a FA in three months.   They need offense.

Not sure why you would want Stanek, but OK, definitely Understand why you would want Miller, lot of control Bref sat no FA til 2030. That for pieces that are almost redundant. I think Elias would do that all day long, not sure why Seattle would.

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

The Orioles have pitched 808 innings this year.

Bradish & Means have covered 60 of those innings.  

Since the Houston series the Orioles are 8-6.

Team era is April/March was 3.68.  

Team era in June was 3.73. 

Maybe take a Quick Look at BBref before postings.  Almost everything you said is inaccurate.  

I said around .500. As a matter of fact, they are one game under .500 before they played the Astros.

Have you checked out the ERA for the month of July? Spoiler alert ... it's 5.75. 

I know you like to do the "gotcha" thing when it comes to me. But yeah, I checked the facts. 

Since June 21 the day we entered the Astros series, we are allowing 6 runs a game

Is that accurate enough for you?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rays.

In season though?  

My point is that Mountcastle and Hays are platoon bats that we need for LHP. If we trade them then we create holes. I’m all for getting Mayo up here. The time to deal Hays, and Mounty, is this offseason.

Also, I want to see Rubenstein throw some paper around and not just t shirts. If we’re trading away Hays and Mountcastle. Plus letting Santa walk. 

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

The Orioles have pitched 808 innings this year.

Bradish & Means have covered 60 of those innings.  

Since the Houston series the Orioles are 8-6.

Team era is April/March was 3.68.  

Team era in June was 3.73. 

Maybe take a Quick Look at BBref before postings.  Almost everything you said is inaccurate.  

Lastly, I've got the team ERA at 2.86 in the month of May. 236 IP and 75 earned runs allowed. 

Maybe my calculations are a little off? But not by too much I wouldn't believe.

O's are not trading Santander in a pennant race and shouldn't.   Hays who can hit 20 homers and is a good everyday left fielder when healthy.  He has a year and a half left before FA.  But Kjerstad who Hyde is playing in LF will hit 30+ homers.  That is why Hays is available.

Hays when healthy, You said your self, because when hes not healthy( which is a lot) hes worth nothing. Youre not getting Miller for this crap package

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Seattle could trade Woo or Miller for a young hitter with a similar amount of control, as long as they get a depth 5th starter back. So in theory the Orioles make sense because they could include Irvin and have a lot of young hitters. 

The problem is the Orioles don’t have a controllable young hitter that is roughly equivalent with Miller or Woo in value. The closest is Kjerstad, but I still think Kjerstad is more valuable and the Orioles turn down a 1:1 with Kjerstad (even ignoring Irvin).

And Norby and Stowers are not even close to being as valuable as Miller or Woo. Even by adding in some collection of vet hitters from the Santander/Mullins/Hays/Mountcastle/O’Hearn group. I don’t think Seattle deals Miller or Woo without getting back a headliner comparable hitter and I don’t think the Orioles have one that matches.

I would probably trade Kjerstad for Woo, not sure about Miller.  Seattle fan on MLB traderumors wanted Basallo and Mayo in return for Miller.  Just showing Hometown bias.

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would probably trade Kjerstad for Woo, not sure about Miller.  Seattle fan on MLB traderumors wanted Basallo and Mayo in return for Miller.  Just showing Hometown bias.

Yes, agree for Woo it would take Kjerstad as Headline, not sure about Miller but would take more than package floated around last couple of pages

Posted (edited)

Well, this is... interesting. https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2024/07/10/pirates-brewers-bryan-reynolds-rowdy-tellez-joey-bart-grand-slam-mlb-column-recap-dk

From BY DEJAN KOVACEVIC --DK Pittsburgh Sports
Jul 10, 2024 • 6:05 AM

Fact: I was told over the weekend by a high-ranking American League executive that, at some point in 2024, the Orioles approached the Pirates about a trade of elite prospects, one that'd send Jared Jones to Baltimore and 20-year-old infielder Jackson Holliday to Pittsburgh. I was further told that it was Ben Cherington who backed off. And as the opening sentence of this paragraph suggests, I've got no idea when within this year it occurred. Only that it did.

UPDATE: 

He previously spent three years as lead sports columnist at the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, covering the Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, Pitt and more. Before that, he spent 12 years on the Penguins and Pirates beats with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He also has covered five Olympics: Athens, Vancouver, London, Sochi and Rio de Janeiro.

In February 2012, he was named one of the top five columnists in the country by the Associated Press Sports Editors. He was honored with the same distinction the following year by the National Headliners.

So, there's that.  

Edited by Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

Well, this is... interesting. https://dkpittsburghsports.com/2024/07/10/pirates-brewers-bryan-reynolds-rowdy-tellez-joey-bart-grand-slam-mlb-column-recap-dk

From BY DEJAN KOVACEVIC --DK Pittsburgh Sports
Jul 10, 2024 • 6:05 AM

Look... I don't typically post stuff like this, but since I have no idea how legit Kevacevic is I thought I'd share it.  Maybe someone here is familiar with him?  It seems HIGHLY unlikely at first glance, and probably non-factual (a nice way of saying B.S. LOL!).

It’s not illogical. Swapping out Holliday for a high value P prospect makes sense. I’d assume we’d get more players coming back since Holliday has more value. 

Just now, waroriole said:

It’s not illogical. Swapping out Holliday for a high value P prospect makes sense. I’d assume we’d get more players coming back since Holliday has more value. 

I understand that others would have to be involved, as we would not swap Holliday for Jones alone.  Jones is a potential ace in the making as he gets his career underway in Pittsburgh.  He is forming a dynamic duo with Skenes and could make the Pirates very formidable moving forward.

1 minute ago, Greg Pappas said:

This "fact" 😄 regarding talks between the teams does, once again, beg the question:  Will Elias be willing to part with one of the Big Three to add a controllable ToR?  

If it’s one of the big 3 I prefer 3 years of control or more. Gun to my head I’d probably do Skubal no matter what and not sleep at night after every start.

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I understand that others would have to be involved, as we would not swap Holliday for Jones alone.  Jones is a potential ace in the making as he gets his career underway in Pittsburgh.  He is forming a dynamic duo with Skenes and could make the Pirates very formidable moving forward.

Yeah, Jones has a ton of value. And he has actually proven it at the major league level, although that value has fallen slightly because of the lat strain. There is no way it's only going to be 2 weeks. Just look at Clarke Schmidt of the Yankees who has a right lat strain, and he's most likely going to be out 1.5+ months.

But you don't trade for injured goods. Although I'd much rather trade for Jones instead of Luzardo who is a ticking time bomb. 

• Upvote 1