The 2024 Trade Deadline

FWIW (maybe not much), Bowden said today they are looking for a RHH OF in addition to bullpen help. Makes sense considering right now against RHP’s they have Santander, Cowser (who has not been great against LHP’s), Hays/Mullins (who have been awful the last calendar year), and Stowers (who they clearly don’t trust against LHP’s). 

I've mentioned Taylor Ward of the Angels as a guy I'd be interested in.  He would likely cost us more than what we'd prefer dealing away and it's not especially likely the Halos would deal him anyway. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Jim Bowden on the Athletic ($) today:  He listed "Sellers" quoted below. In his notes for each team, I like that he listed their needs moving forward.

25. New York Mets
Record: 24-35, fourth place in NL East
Run differential: -41

The mediocre Mets haven’t lived up to that expectation and have played more like the morbid Mets. It’s surprising they’ve been this bad considering the starting pitching trio of Luis Severino, Sean Manaea and José Butto have had ERA’s under 3.30 for most of the year. Meanwhile, Pete Alonso has 13 home runs but his on-base percentage and slugging percentage are well below his career averages, and Francisco Lindor has nine homers but is hitting just .227. New York just can’t get things rolling on either side of the ball. It looks like it’ll be a long summer in Queens for Mets fans.

Early trade deadline needs: The Mets have needs all over the diamond and throughout the pitching staff. Trading for as many good young players as they can would be their best play at the deadline.

Players most likely traded: Pete Alonso, Starling Marte, Harrison Bader, Jose Quintana, Adam Ottavino, Jake Diekman

26. Oakland A’s
Record: 24-37, fourth place in AL West
Run differential: -64

The Oakland A’s are no longer the worst team in MLB, a small step in the right direction. They’ll have a new home next year at Sutter Health Park in Sacramento, where they’re expected to play until moving into a new stadium in Las Vegas, hopefully by 2028. In the meantime, their average attendance for home games is just over 6,500, which is embarrassing for the league. Rookie Mason Miller has been a big bright spot as he’s become one of the best closers in the game with his 103 mph fastball and wipeout slider.

Early trade deadline needs: The A’s are looking to upgrade at shortstop and in their starting rotation. They have some players of value to trade at the deadline.

Most likely traded: DH Brent Rooker, RHP Lucas Erceg (IL), RHP Paul Blackburn (IL), RHP Austin Adams

27. Colorado Rockies
Record: 21-37, fifth place in NL West
Run differential: -79

The Rockies will be fighting the Marlins all year for the worst record in the NL. But they’re at least starting to put together some building blocks for the future with shortstop Ezequiel Tovar, center fielder Brenton Doyle, and outfielders Nolan Jones and Jordan Beck, even though that pair is currently on the IL. The Rockies have a strong farm system and help is on the way in terms of position players, but they need to significantly improve in the starting pitching department before they can become relevant again.

Early trade deadline needs: The Rockies are continuing to put their energy into improving their starting and relief pitching for both the short- and long-term.

Players most likely traded: C Elias Díaz, LHP Jalen Beeks

28. Los Angeles Angels
Record: 21-38, fifth place in AL West
Run differential: -55

Shohei Ohtani is a Dodger, Mike Trout and Anthony Rendon are back on the IL again, and the Angels are where we all thought they’d be — in last place. Taylor Ward has been their best position player, hitting .265 with 11 home runs and 34 RBIs; he should be a strong trade chip come late July.

Early trade deadline needs: The Angels are focused on trying to acquire a middle-of-the-order impact bat and upgrade the back of their bullpen. However, in my view, they’ll be trading major-league assets for minor-league prospects at the deadline.

Players most likely traded: OF Taylor Ward, RHP Carlos Estévez, RHP Adam Cimber, RHP Hunter Strickland

29. Miami Marlins
Record: 21-39, fifth place in NL East
Run differential: -82

The Marlins didn’t do anything in the offseason to improve their lineup. They didn’t re-sign their best power hitter, Jorge Soler, and now are paying the price for it. They dealt two-time batting champ Luis Arraez to the Padres in a rare May trade, getting four players in return to help their organization long term but further weakening their current lineup, which ranks 29th in runs scored and 29th in OPS. They have a lot of work to do to improve the lineup from top to bottom. On the pitching side, they’ve been crushed by injuries. Their two best starters — Sandy Alcantara and Eury Pérez — are out for the year and Edward Cabrera is among several others who’ve been sidelined, which has made it difficult for them to compete this season. Their rotation ranks second-to-last in the NL in ERA.

Early trade deadline needs: The Marlins are trying to improve their overall offense with emphasis on corner bats.

Players most likely traded: LHP Tanner Scott, LHP Jesús Luzardo, 1B/DH Josh Bell

30. Chicago White Sox
Record: 15-45, fifth place in AL Central
Run differential: -138

The White Sox are the worst team in MLB, ranking 30th in runs scored, home runs and OPS, and 29th in team ERA. Luis Robert Jr., their best overall player, has played in only seven games due to a hip flexor strain. The 26-year-old center fielder is their best trade asset but they’d prefer to build around him. However, if he can get healthy, their best play would be to swap him for a strong prospect package.

Early trade deadline needs: The White Sox are in rebuild mode and plan to add to their improving farm system by continuing to trade from their major-league ranks.

Players most likely traded: RHP Erick Fedde, RHP Steven Wilson, LHP Tim Hill, RHP Michael Kopech

Regarding the O's, he had this to say:

3. Baltimore Orioles
Record: 37-20, second place in AL East
Run differential: +74

The Orioles are one of the deepest and most balanced organizations in baseball. They rank fourth in the AL in runs scored and second in home runs and OPS. Gunnar Henderson and Adley Rutchsman are MVP candidates, Corbin Burnes is a Cy Young Award candidate and Kyle Bradish, after spending the first month of the season on the IL, is pitching like he did last year, when he finished fourth in the Cy Young voting. The Orioles have plenty of potential trade assets in their loaded farm system to upgrade their roster between now and the deadline.

Early trade deadline needs: The Orioles will look to upgrade the closer and set-up roles in an effort to improve the depth and quality of their bullpen. They’re also searching the trade market for a right-handed-hitting outfielder.

Edited by Greg Pappas

Mike Trout has to do the hard work of asking out first, but if he does and Mullins/Cowser both look CF flimsy, I think the Orioles would have some due diligence to do.

An acquirer in cases like these gets the chance to renegotiate what their organization will pay the player, so people don't have to freak out about an all-time great being owed expensive back years by some MLB club.

This presupposes his knee will be okay in July - I have no insight how that recovery is progressing.    May-June certainly give him a lot of time to contemplate how he wants to conduct the next part of his baseball life.    He's witnessed recently a longtime teammate make some interesting choices to stack the odds in his favor.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

From Mark Feinsand at MLB.com: 10 questions to answer before Trade Deadline

From CBS Sports: 2024 MLB trade deadline preview

It feels like every three months we note that the Orioles have World Series hopes, an abundance of prospects, and a dearth of long-term financial commitments, making them the perfect candidate to do something bold. The closest they've come over the years was last offseason, when they obtained ace Corbin Burnes in what appeared to be a highly favorable deal for Baltimore. With new owner David Rubenstein in place, we might get an answer this deadline as to how much of the Orioles' previous aversion to big moves could be credited to top executive Mike Elias and how much had to do with an uncertain ownership situation.

Edited by Greg Pappas

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Mike Trout has to do the hard work of asking out first, but if he does and Mullins/Cowser both look CF flimsy, I think the Orioles would have some due diligence to do.

An acquirer in cases like these gets the chance to renegotiate what their organization will pay the player, so people don't have to freak out about an all-time great being owed expensive back years by some MLB club.

This presupposes his knee will be okay in July - I have no insight how that recovery is progressing.    May-June certainly give him a lot of time to contemplate how he wants to conduct the next part of his baseball life.    He's witnessed recently a longtime teammate make some interesting choices to stack the odds in his favor.

I have a buddy who thinks Trout to O's is going to happen; just his hunch, but I like discussing it with him.

The return on Trout is going to be a very interesting conversation about money and prospects. Essentially 6 years would be left on his contract at around 35.5 mil annually. With Trout's contract and injury history, I wonder what Elias could negotiate for a fair return

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I have a buddy who thinks Trout to O's is going to happen; just his hunch, but I like discussing it with him.

The return on Trout is going to be a very interesting conversation about money and prospects. Essentially 6 years would be left on his contract at around 35.5 mil annually. With Trout's contract and injury history, I wonder what Elias could negotiate for a fair return

Love Trout, but I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole unless the LAA paid 75% of his salary and we gave them Vieira as the trade bait.

3 minutes ago, SilentJames said:

Imagine the Blue Jays blow it up. 

Would we entertain bringing Gausman home? 

I don't think SP is where we'll be spending our resources unless there is another big injury before the deadline. 

1 hour ago, SilentJames said:

Anything is possible.  I will say that Elias is more likely to wait until he addresses the bullpen before seeking help elsewhere.  A RHH outfielder may also be in Elias' queue, unless Hays goes off on one of his blistering stretches.  A starter would not surprise me either.

2 hours ago, SilentJames said:

I doubt they'll pay him the 11M+ they would owe him this year then 23M for the next two and give up real prospects. I hope they won't at least.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Malike said:

I doubt they'll pay him the 11M+ they would owe him this year then 23M for the next two and give up real prospects. I hope they won't at least.

I hear you, but as far as starters go, that's cheap... especially quality starters.  Whether we'll add any starter is still TBD.

Edited by Greg Pappas

If Elias is looking for a right handed outfielder that can play CF, I would target Harrison Bader.  Struggling team (Mets), last year of his deal (10 mil), and leads the league in Zone Runs above average from CF (12).  No power but that's not an issue with this team.

Burnes and Gausman both have had ~70% of their career postseason appearances out of the bullpen.

I keep having this thought that if one of Kremer/Irvin is September sharp for Game 3 if there's a small chance bullpen Grayson becomes a thing.

Certainly if Jesus Luzardo becomes the get, somebody is going to have to step to a role like how the Dodgers used Julio Urias in 2020.