The 2024 Trade Deadline

15 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

There is no other place to put Mayo, unless we would be getting rid of Mountcastle or O'Hearn. And I'm not sure how sie that would be nor am I confident that Elias and co would do that given how hesitant that they are to allow any talent to walk out of the door. With all of the INF talent in the org, we decided to keep both Urias and Mateo instead of starting the season with Norby (when he had already been at AAA for all of 23' and succeeded). He was in essence forced to repeat the level for no reason other than we didn't want to surrender a backup player with a limited skill-set like Urias.

You seemed to ignore that he hasn't played there.  I was hopeful he'd see some action in RF at Norfolk, but that hasn't happened. I understand your reasoning as far as fit goes, but unless the O's start playing him there at Norfolk, the odds remain low he'll be an option for us in RF.

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I agree with you that Mayo could be an option at 1B, but the O's are likely to retain Mountcastle and, perhaps, O'Hearn as well.  O'Hearn has been an excellent addition thus far, but should not keep a spot from Kjerstad/Mayo. DH is an obvious choice for Mayo until a spot opens up, such as Mounty moving on.  Mayo can also fill in at 3B on occasion. 

Knowing what you know from what you have seen from Elias and the front office, do you think that there is even a remote possibility that he starts the season penciling in 3 rookies/acclimating players all at one?

39 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Bradish is by no means a #4 pitcher. 

But overall, I agree that would be an awesome rotation. However, I think it is VERY risky to count on that proposition of using Kremer, Suarez, and Irvin as multi-inning bullpen guys. NONE of them really have any kind of history in doing that. AND even if they proved effective, that still leaves the backend of the bullpen as a hole. 

I would hate to walk into October asking a bunch of guys to do things that they have never done before in order for our team to be successful. 

IMO Skubal while awesome would be much more of a luxury addition than a necessity and given the hole in the roster at the back end of the bullpen, he doesn't solve that.

This would like be investing in marble floors and an olympic-sized infinity swimming pool in your back yard, when you have a hole in the roof. Seems to me that wisdom suggest that you fix what's wrong FIRST before you start trying to improve on what's already right.

It’s a fantasy scenario… but I don’t understand your logic about the multiple innings comment. Kremer and Suarez would likely be able to go 2-3 innings every 3-5 days. Really with the listed rotation you probably don’t need both guys.

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

You seemed to ignore that he hasn't played there.  I was hopeful he'd see some action in RF at Norfolk, but that hasn't happened. I understand your reasoning as far as fit goes, but unless the O's start playing him there at Norfolk, the odds remain low he'll be an option for us in RF.

Well Mayo is getting most of his reps at 3B and Holliday at 2B now. But we know if both remain in the org, that it is not possible for both of them to be starters for the Big League team at those both of those positions next season, since Westburg is the starting 3B.

So something is going to have to change right?

8 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Because they don’t think they can resign him and they want to trade him at his highest value. Not saying the Tigers definitely would trade him, but I’ve seen some chatter from Detroit sportswriters about whether or not to trade him now at his highest value. It’s just an interesting option to think about. 

I don’t see them trading him this year. Sportswriters are gonna sportswrite. 

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Yes, please keep going. Because that's FIVE in how many years??

There’s a few others.  Carlos Correa.  Jose Fernandez.  Ozzie Albers. Rafael Devers.   Fernando Tatis.  Wander Franco.  

What’s noticeable to me is that Holliday was the only one who started his pro career at age 18.   He had less minor league time than any of these guys.  

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s a fantasy scenario… but I don’t understand your logic about the multiple innings comment. Kremer and Suarez would likely be able to go 2-3 innings every 3-5 days. Really with the listed rotation you probably don’t need both guys.

I thought we were talking about the postseason.

No scenario exists where a non-starting pitcher's workload can be managed to include 3-5 days of rest in between appearances.

But I didn't know that we were discussing "a fantasy scenario". I wouldn't have interrupted with my comments because I don't want to mess up anybody's fantasy.

10 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Well Mayo is getting most of his reps at 3B and Holliday at 2B now. But we know if both remain in the org, that it is not possible for both of them to be starters for the Big League team at those both of those positions next season, since Westburg is the starting 3B.

So something is going to have to change right?

Yes.  Holliday will play 2B.  I have already covered this.  Mayo at 3B will not be likely with Westburg entrenched, thus Mayo may play at 1B  some, and DH.  That's my best guess for now.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s a few others.  Carlos Correa.  Jose Fernandez.  Ozzie Albers. Rafael Devers.   Fernando Tatis.  Wander Franco.  

What’s noticeable to me is that Holliday was the only one who started his pro career at age 18.   He had less minor league time than any of these guys.  

Ok, 10 in how many years. And how many of those were American born?

My point was that people are judging Holliday on what he can or cannot do. Or what he will or won't be after what 2 and 1/2 weeks of playing Big League ball at aged 20?

I just don't think that is the best/wisest way to go about things for such a young, gifted player. But that's just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Yes.  Holliday will play 2B.  I have already covered this.  Mayo at 3B will not be likely with Westburg entrenched, thus Mayo may play at 1B  some, and DH.  That's my best guess for now.

So in essence getting rid of Mountcastle for Norby?

51 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Mayo could also be at 1B and 3B.  I don't think his position is set in stone.  Isn't he mostly still playing 3B in the minors?

@Bemorewins  can’t stomach the possibility of Holliday not being in our starting infield.   

10 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Ok, 10 in how many years. And how many of those were American born?

My point was that people are judging Holliday on what he can or cannot do. Or what he will or won't be after what 2 and 1/2 weeks of playing Big League ball at aged 20?

I just don't think that is the best/wisest way to go about things for such a young, gifted player. But that's just my opinion.

Are there that many people judging Holliday based on his short stint in the majors?  I’m sure a few are, but not many IMO.  

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

@Bemorewins  can’t stomach the possibility of Holliday not being in our starting infield.   

I really don't care that much. Nowhere near as you are making it seem. 

But I think it does come down to 2 things - 1) Who is the better defensive 3B between Mayo and Westburg? 2) Who is the better defensive INF between Mayo and Holliday?

The answer to those 2 questions should determine positioning. 

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Where would you put Mountcastle LF or 3B?

Neither. If Mayo is 1B and O'Hearn stays at DH (primary against RH/strong side of platoon) and Norby goes to RF, then there is no place for Mountcastle.

Just to be clear, I am not in favor of getting rid of Mountcastle or O'Hearn next season. And definitely not so Norby can play RF.