The 2024 Trade Deadline

4 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

That cannot be right unless he was extended, this is his 6th year almost full time.and he definitely has more than 3.1 service time.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/player/_/id/29550/nate-lowe#:~:text=Nate Lowe signed a 1,a total salary of %247%2C500%2C000.&text=Source%3A MLB contract specifics generally collected from verified reports.

He had 3.1 years of service time entering this season.

5 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

That cannot be right unless he was extended, this is his 6th year almost full time.and he definitely has more than 3.1 service time.

Ok. Fangraphs and BRef are wrong.  Prove it.

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Both BRef and Fangraphs have Lowe as having 3+ years of service time and not a FA until the 2027 class.   You got different information?   Let’s hear it.

Well nothing more than his career stats which show exceeding rookie limits in 2019 and full time since then unless he got option in 2020.

Just now, Safelykept said:

Well nothing more than his career stats which show exceeding rookie limits in 2019 and full time since then unless he got option in 2020.

Is it possible you’re wrong and two websites who specialize in this stuff are correct?

1 minute ago, Safelykept said:

well Bref shows him as played more than 3.1 years

Mountcastle and Lowe become FA at the same time.  After the 2026 season.   If you don’t believe it, I don’t care.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But he’s not. Lowe has 2 more years of service time..he has 4 arb years because he was a super 2.

The Rangers bringing him back for 10+M?  I have my doubts, unless the power starts coming back in the second half, which it may. 

Either way, they have a need for another bat. Would that need matter in this deal? Maybe not. As I said, maybe they want younger and more controlled talent but you are only going to get so much for rental players and Scherzer is a risk, which will keep his value down.

Mounty represents someone who can help them now but really for next year and maybe the year after. They will not be rebuilding and they will go after at least one bat in the offseason..for sure.

So, does getting Mounty now eliminate that need and if it does, is that still worth it?  Who knows but I would be calling to find out.

OK, thanks for helping me out with that. So if your a super 2 that delays service time thought it was the other way. But he does have more than 3+ years service time as per Bref , he was Arb 1 last right and hes making more than 1.2 million this year as per Bref

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

OK, thanks for helping me out with that. So if your a super 2 that delays service time thought it was the other way. But he does have more than 3+ years service time as per Bref , he was Arb 1 last right and hes making more than 1.2 million this year as per Bref

It doesn’t delay service time, it just means year 3 is arb1 instead of year 4 being arb 1.

He had 3.1 entering this season. He has accumulated service time this year.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Safelykept said:

According to Fangraphs he’s making 7.5M which makes more sense.   The super 2 doesn’t change when you become a FA.  It just makes you arbitration eligible sooner than some guys.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mountcastle and Lowe become FA at the same time.  After the 2026 season.   If you don’t believe it, I don’t care.

Well in the grand design I dont care either, but somebody sure gamed his service clock and if hes played full time the last 3.5 so he only got .145 service credit for his first 2 years (71) games played. hey good for management. Bref also shows him making 1.25 million this year (Arb 2) after making 4.5 mil last year, So either Bref is wrong about that or hes taking a 65% pay cut off lastyear. If so their fixing this guy up real good

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

According to Fangraphs he’s making 7.5M which makes more sense.   The super 2 doesn’t change when you become a FA.  It just makes you arbitration eligible sooner than some guys.

Yeah they dont (Bref) make a lot of mistakes but they do muck from time to time.

Mountcastle and Hays are the type of RH vs LHP bats we would be looking to acquire if we didn’t have them. They’re not going anywhere till the offseason. They’re more valuable to us now then what they would bring in a trade. 

To that point, Norby and Stowers might be the same in terms of value to us the next 6 years as role players versus what other teams value them as. 

Rebuilding teams are probably going to be more interested in EBJ, Beavers, McDermott, Baumeister, and DeLeon.  

Just my two cents. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It doesn’t delay service time, it just means year 3 is arb1 instead of year 4 being arb 1.

He had 3.1 entering this season. He has accumulated service time this year.

Yes but I"m still confused as to why so little credit (.145) for 2019 and 2020 71 games played

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There will be plenty of ways to add starters in the offseason.

The lineup is going to be dirt cheap next year.

It is crazy to think - the Orioles could in theory trade or nontender ALL of their arbitration eligible position players next year (except Adley, who will be Arb1) and field one of the best groups of position players in the game.

C Rutschman

1B Mayo

2B Holliday

SS Henderson

3B Westburg

LF Stowers

CF Cowser

RF Kjerstad

DH Norby (eventually Basallo)

Basically the position player half of a playoff team for the league minimum.

Obviously, they won’t jettison all of the vets, but it just underscores the financial flexibility. It’s a shame it’s a pretty underwhelming SP free agent class but they should have plenty of ability to add payroll to bring in SPs.

2 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

It is crazy to think - the Orioles could in theory trade or nontender ALL of their arbitration eligible position players next year (except Adley, who will be Arb1) and field one of the best groups of position players in the game.

C Rutschman

1B Mayo

2B Holliday

SS Henderson

3B Westburg

LF Stowers

CF Cowser

RF Kjerstad

DH Norby (eventually Basallo)

Basically the position player half of a playoff team for the league minimum.

Obviously, they won’t jettison all of the vets, but it just underscores the financial flexibility. It’s a shame it’s a pretty underwhelming SP free agent class but they should have plenty of ability to add payroll to bring in SPs.

Thats why I dont like trading our big names for pitching. we could a top 2 or 3 lineup for the next 5 or six years ( dont know about Stowers though or Norby) use guys like tat to upgrade pitching.