The 2024 Trade Deadline

The Orioles should just "go for it" with Skubal. 

A 1-2 punch of Burnes and Skubal (also 1-2 contenders for the AL Cy Young Award in '24)                                                 would make the Orioles the favorite to win the World Series this year.

But, Skubal won't come cheap.

The Orioles will have to give up multiple top 100 prospects and great young players to get Skubal.

The Skubal to the Orioles blockbuster deal will rival or surpass the Soto to the Padres blockbuster deal.

Holladay, Coby Mayo, Basallo, Kjerstad  (2 or 3 from this list) + additional players.

The Orioles are continuing to draft well and continue to add to their massive talent pool in their farm system.

Are the Orioles looking to stockpile young players and to have the best farm system that never wins the World Series Championship.  Or does Mike Elias and the Orioles  seize the opportunity right in front of their faces and get that World Series Trophy in '24?!

The path to a World Series Championship is very clear this year.

The 2 teams that match up on paper and in the standings for the World Series are the Orioles

and the Phillies. Skubal is a difference maker in the playoffs and the World Series.

Make the Skubal deal if  you want to be on the field hoisting the 2024 World Series trophy and popping Champaign corks in the locker room in October!

No one will be talking about the players you gave up if  the Orioles  win the World Series in '24 and if Baltimore                   is in 3 pennant races and favored to win the World Series in '24, '25 and 26.

3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

If we want top end, difference making talent then we are going to have to be willing to deal some away.

Usually it doesn't work where you can do a treasure for trash swap.

I agree …but will Big Mike?

4 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

With apologies if this has been shared already, here’s some interesting commentary from todays MLBTrade units chat, from a knowledgeable monitor:

IMG_2574.jpeg

IMG_2575.jpeg

IMG_2576.jpeg

Hays for Lodolo?  lol. 

Why would you even take that question?

• Upvote 1

Ben Clemens did a nice reliever survey, and one of his conclusions as a market watcher was:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-rundown-of-relievers-on-the-trade-block/

Obviously, I’m not sure what each reliever will fetch in trades. If I had to pick my favorites, though, I’d go with Brebbia, Erceg, Vest, and Floro. Those four offer the best ratio of expected return to expected cost, at least in my book. We’ll have to wait a few weeks to see how the market shakes out, but good righty middle relievers feel like a market opportunity this year.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Ben Clemens did a nice reliever survey, and one of his conclusions as a market watcher was:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-rundown-of-relievers-on-the-trade-block/

Obviously, I’m not sure what each reliever will fetch in trades. If I had to pick my favorites, though, I’d go with Brebbia, Erceg, Vest, and Floro. Those four offer the best ratio of expected return to expected cost, at least in my book. We’ll have to wait a few weeks to see how the market shakes out, but good righty middle relievers feel like a market opportunity this year.

This article made me realize the Orioles are probably going to end up with an unheralded righty middle reliever. There’s a lot of interesting options there, but very few bigger name guys.

Just now, Rbiggs2525 said:

Harvey trade seemed like a slight overpay by Royals. This may murky the trade waters.

A slight overpay, but an early buy to try and stop the team from falling out of contention.   Now they get an extra two weeks worth of use.  

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

This article made me realize the Orioles are probably going to end up with an unheralded righty middle reliever. There’s a lot of interesting options there, but very few bigger name guys.

Starters vs. relievers - some of the fun watching is Elias I think really does have a blank canvas for games 3 and 4 of the playoffs.

Burnes and Grayson even without Bradish still give a nucleus better than some other playoff clubs, and to be Raysian is just to Arm Barn your way through the rest of it.

If we get pushed to an AL wildcard game 3, there's no third pitcher on the roster I don't really have someone up in the bullpen behind even if for exaggeration's sake they yield a couple 1st inning baserunners.      Today's roster, maybe Dean Kremer and Cade Povich just both warm up in the pregame.

Hopefully we outrun the Yankees and then there's nothing too tough to think about until ALDS Game 3, should the injury gods spare the big two.

One interesting angle is will TBJs and TBRs deal w/in division to NYY, Os, or RedSox?

TBJ = Kikuchi (might be best rental SP), Garcia (might be best rental RP if healthy)

TBR = Eflin (controllable SP for 25 but expensive), Fairbanks (controllable RP for 25)

Any of those guys would be asset to Os and not cost any of the big3 (or Kjerstad).  The other OH darlings (Crochet, Skubal, Miller) will cost arm and leg, are off the market bc teams holding on for contention (Helsley), or guaranteed to NYY (Scott).

Edited by Say O!

13 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Starters vs. relievers - some of the fun watching is Elias I think really does have a blank canvas for games 3 and 4 of the playoffs.

Burnes and Grayson even without Bradish still give a nucleus better than some other playoff clubs, and to be Raysian is just to Arm Barn your way through the rest of it.

If we get pushed to an AL wildcard game 3, there's no third pitcher on the roster I don't really have someone up in the bullpen behind even if for exaggeration's sake they yield a couple 1st inning baserunners.      Today's roster, maybe Dean Kremer and Cade Povich just both warm up in the pregame.

Hopefully we outrun the Yankees and then there's nothing too tough to think about until ALDS Game 3, should the injury gods spare the big two.

Good Analysis.  Wish we had the old August deadline date where we could pick up a Game 4 SP.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Say O! said:

One interesting angle is will TBJs and TBRs deal w/in division to NYY, Os, or RedSox?

TBJ = Kikuchi (might be best rental SP), Garcia (might be best rental RP if healthy)

TBR = Eflin (controllable SP for 25 but expensive), Fairbanks (controllable RP for 25)

Any of those guys would be asset to Os and not cost any of the big3 (or Kjerstad).  The other OH darlings (Crochet, Skubal, Miller) will cost arm and leg, are off the market bc teams holding on for contention (Helsley), or guaranteed to NYY (Scott).

Eflin just feels like a guy Elias will target. He's not the big splash that Skubal/Crochet/Miller are, but a solid track record, very low BB, and a viable #3 guy. That is assuming we'd be willing to pay his salary for the next year and a half, which I think we should be.

30 minutes ago, Say O! said:

I’m sure the BJs will be trying to push Kikuchi on everyone, but he’s of little interest to me. Just a pretty middling pitcher who has been much worse than middling since a hot April.

If I’m on the phone with TOR, the one I would want to talk about is Chris Bassitt. Classic SP3, doesn’t really have the stuff to blow you away, but he’s tough and cerebral, he can give you some length, and you could match him up against anybody and think you’ve got a fair shot. 

You get him for next season as well, which is a plus. And while he’s pretty pricey — pro-rated portion of $22M this year and another $22M next year — maybe that keeps the prospect price down a bit. You’d like to think we’re in a position to absorb a salary like that.

Anyone in their right mind would want Yimi if he’s pitching the way he was early in the year, so he will bear close watching over the next couple weeks (evidently he’s supposed to return soon). A Bassitt + Yimi deal would be just what the doctor ordered for this team. 

Edited by e16bball

16 hours ago, CTBear said:

Adley catching Skubal, Crochet and Miller for scoreless frames in the ASG? Good stuff

Miller even credited Adley for framing 100+ at the bottom of the zone talking to Wainwright after the game. He's definitely on his way to Baltimore soon!

• Upvote 1