The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 hour ago, casadeozo said:

If you ask most non Orioles fans around the league they would say the O’s have the best offense in the league. If that’s the case, I like our chances in a 3 game series though I’m also aware the bats have certainly lived and died by the homer far too often. 

my feeling a week and a half out of the trade deadline, we will add a starter and a reliever (Fedde/Bassitt and Scott) but not make the kind of blockbuster trade a lot on here want to see (Crochet, Mason Miller, def not Skubal).

Just my opinion but I think Elias is pretty gun shy with trades in general, and doesn’t want to operate in such a sellers market. I see us making a major addition more likely in the offseason, but certainly this is one of the more interesting deadlines for the O’s I can remember. 

He did pull the trigger on Burnes. Maybe Burnes was a random outlier but with a new owner and so much talent it feels like a strategic pivot.  I think Elias to some extent has made a narrative for himself that is going to take time to shake.

That being said, I don't see Elias going fully all in. He has always stated he wants a pipeline of talent so we can compete every year. I think your expectation is reasonable. I might add Scherzer, Eovaldi, and Kikuchi for starters, Robertson, Yates, Yimi Garcia, Fairbanks for the bullpen. If we go for a second arm, someone like Fernanco Cruz or Poche. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

He did pull the trigger on Burnes. Maybe Burnes was a random outlier but with a new owner and so much talent it feels like a strategic pivot.  I think Elias to some extent has made a narrative for himself that is going to take time to shake.

That being said, I don't see Elias going fully all in. He has always stated he wants a pipeline of talent so we can compete every year. I think your expectation is reasonable. I might add Scherzer, Eovaldi, and Kikuchi for starters, Robertson, Yates, Yimi Garcia, Fairbanks for the bullpen. If we go for a second arm, someone like Fernanco Cruz or Poche. 

If Burnes had 2 more years of control he wouldn't be an Oriole this season.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

If Burnes had 2 more years of control he wouldn't be an Oriole this season.

I'm not getting your point. We still gave up a lot more than any previous deal under Elias, and Burnes is a way different type of player than we'd brought in previously. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I'm not getting your point. We still gave up a lot more than any previous deal under Elias, and Burnes is a way different type of player than we'd brought in previously. 

They got him without giving up any of their top prospects. Ortiz had no position on this team and Hall is Hall. If Burnes had 2 years of control they wouldn't have gotten him for those players, hence he wouldn't be an Oriole.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

They got him without giving up any of their top prospects. Ortiz had no position on this team and Hall is Hall. If Burnes had 2 years of control they wouldn't have gotten him for those players, hence he wouldn't be an Oriole.

OK. That doesn't contradict anything I said though.

Just now, Malike said:

They also got the draft pick. I guess it depends on how much extra it would cost for 2 years of Burnes. 

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

They also got the draft pick. I guess it depends on how much extra it would cost for 2 years of Burnes. 

More than Cease and we didn't come close on that.

49 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Where's the pipeline of pitching?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Dallas Keuchel just got DFA'd and elected FA. I bet we see him in an O's uniform lol.

He was the one who shamed the front office when they did nothing, and then they got Justin Verlander a minute or three later.    Of course the rules were easier in those years.