The 2024 Trade Deadline

3 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Sorry I forget his phrases sometimes. Thanks 😂.

That's not Elias speak, it was Andy's catchphrase.

Just they all seem to do it.  I can't say if it's more effective but it would be a nice change of pace to have a more proactive GM on the trade front.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just they all seem to do it.  I can't say if it's more effective but it would be a nice change of pace to have a more proactive GM on the trade front.

Like Dipoto or Heller?

Taillon is a better pitcher than Sports Guy is giving him credit for, but he’s right that his contract negates much of his value. It’s a similar situation, but to a lesser degree for Bassitt, Eovaldi, Snell and Eflin.

These guys are all decent to good SP (Taillon being the worst of the group, and with the worst contract), but they’re getting paid accordingly. They’re all playing out deals they recently signed as free agents, so there’s not a lot of surplus value there. Any trade for those guys is going to either be cheaper in prospect capital, or the trading team is going to pay down some of the contract to get better prospects. 

The Cubs feel like a team that will pay down some of Taillon’s contract for better prospects. I don’t think Eovaldi or Snell will be available, so hard to tell the preference there. The Blue Jays definitely want to shed payroll for this season to get under the luxury tax threshold, but they might be able to do that without dealing Bassitt and may not feel they need more payroll flexibility for next year. The Rays probably want to move Eflin’s full salary, but he’s also good enough that they can do that and get decent prospect capital back. 

This is also why Fedde will be very expensive by comparison - he’s on a really cheap contract for next year. And I don’t really know what to think of Anderson, he’s on a cheaper deal but he’s also the most bizarre pitcher in the game right now where all of the peripherals indicate he should be considerably worse than the results he’s gotten. Very tough to pin down his value.

Altogether the Orioles have both the prospect capital and the payroll flexibility, so they’re in a good position where every door is open to them. But my preference is that they take on payroll to keep better prospects - especially if they are going to continue with their reluctance to commit years to free agent pitchers this offseason.

The Orioles really need to find a way to leverage their payroll flexibility in some capacity, and they only need SP - so if they want to devote payroll to SP but don’t want to give 3+ years to a decent free agent SP, pretty much the only option is to trade for SP part of the way through a free agent deal who haven’t broken down. That makes Taillon is a decent option (and one the Orioles were interested in as a free agent, IIRC). 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

10-4 thanks. At some point the deadline becomes a deadline and you lose all leverage. Last year it became apparent Flaherty was the last number 3 starter left on the market. 

We’re 15-18 our last 33 games. 33 games is 20% of the season. So not so SSS. 

We got problems. The bottom two SP in our rotation. Mullins, Mountcastle, Cowser, and O’Hearn, are all really struggling and have been for awhile. 

We’ve turned to the farm for Povich and Holliday with no success. We’re going there again today for McDermott. We want to go there for Mayo, but his defense would be creating a new negative. 

Teams go through this. Even WS teams, but how will Elias address this?

I think we need two SP, a RP, an upgrade at CF, and to install Mayo at DH. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re 15-18 our last 33 games. 33 games is 20% of the season. So not so SSS. 

We got problems. The bottom two SP in our rotation. Mullins, Mountcastle, Cowser, and O’Hearn, are all really struggling and have been for awhile. 

We’ve turned to the farm for Povich and Holliday with no success. We’re going there again today for McDermott. We want to go there for Mayo, but his defense would be creating a new negative. 

Teams go through this. Even WS teams, but how will Elias address this?

I think we need two SP, a RP, an upgrade at CF, and to install Mayo at DH. 

Mullins has a 128 wRC+, Cowser is at 98, and O’Hearn is at 133 during those 22 games. Mountcastle has been bad (68 wRC+) as has Mateo (42 wRC+). The offense in general hasn’t been an issue (121 wRC+ during those 33 games which ranks 4th), but they’re 14th in runs during that time frame because they have been brutal with RISP. They’re also been very inconsistent from game to game which doesn’t help the perception. 

I agree that the bottom 2 in the rotation needs upgrading though and they need at least one high leverage RP. I think they’re fine with Cowser/Mullins against RHP’s but it’s not ideal when a lefty is on the mound. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I can’t believe what I’m reading …Montas blows. He has a near 5 erawith a 1.36 whip. He’s not better than what we have. Kikuchi is just as bad with some Ks sprinkled in. It’s like trading clubs for spades. Anderson is an upgrade that would be worth exploring.

Anderson is a 1.1+ WHIP pitcher averaging 6 1/3 innings per start . He has a sub 3 ERA. Guys don’t like him because he’s not a strikeout guy.

Has anyone done the research on Anderson to see how much Waltimore would help him? I'd love to see that. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I can’t believe what I’m reading …Montas blows. He has a near 5 erawith a 1.36 whip. He’s not better than what we have. Kikuchi is just as bad with some Ks sprinkled in. It’s like trading clubs for spades. Anderson is an upgrade that would be worth exploring.

Anderson is a 1.1+ WHIP pitcher averaging 6 1/3 innings per start . He has a sub 3 ERA. Guys don’t like him because he’s not a strikeout guy.

Of the three, Anderson is the one I'd take, but I don't want him, either.  He's due for a correction...and not in a good way.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They “blow” as a #4 SP? Who do you want?  Our in house options aren’t looking so hot.   We need two SP. A #2 and a #4.

What’s the hot take here?

We’ve lost Bradish, Means, and Wells, to TJ.

Irvin, Suarez, and Povich, are no longer effective. 

I agree. We need one back end guy just to eat innings. Should be able to get one for next to nothing. We probably could use two, but one such starter and an impact reliever would be the minimum we need IMO. 

2 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

Has anyone done the research on Anderson to see how much Waltimore would help him? I'd love to see that. 

Anderson has some traits that will carry over well. I’m not sure he’s a guy you want starting in October but I will say worse pitchers have given their teams good starts in October.

Bowden’s Q&A from The Athletic:

What level of prospect could the Angels get for players like Taylor Ward, Luis Rengifo, Carlos Estévez or Tyler Anderson? (I don’t think they’ll) get a top prospect for them (top two in a system, or top 50 overall), but the next tier down might be realistic (like a top-10 prospect in a system, or top 50 to top 200 overall). Do you think that’s realistic?  — Matt R.

Matt, I think you nailed it with your take. All four of those players have trade value but none of them are going to land a top 1-3 prospect from an average farm system. Landing multiple players from a team’s top-20 prospect list should be the expectation.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Anderson has some traits that will carry over well. I’m not sure he’s a guy you want starting in October but I will say worse pitchers have given their teams good starts in October.

Anderson is a guy that will help us win the division, and be a Game 4 option in a 5 or 7 game series.  

We need two pitchers folks.  Maybe Suarez fills the need of RP?  We don't have the luxury of sitting back this deadline.  The sky isn't falling, but we gotta get our house in order.  

I have a feeling the Dodgers are going to end up with Skubal and another big name. Elias will wait and end up with another Flaherty type. It would be nice if we made the first move for once. 

3 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

I have a feeling the Dodgers are going to end up with Skubal and another big name. Elias will wait and end up with another Flaherty type. It would be nice if we made the first move for once. 

Where is the Dodgers version of Holliday, Mayo, Basallo?

If that is what the Tigers are requesting from the O’s are the then going to turn around and take much less from the Dodgers?