The 2024 Trade Deadline

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Who is JLC? In what context did he call Elias a jackass? 

Jason La Confora AKA JLC used to be (primarily) an NFL "insider" with NFL Network. I don't know that it was ever specifically stated, but it seemed pretty apparent he was let go because he wore out his welcome. He often tweets out "rumors" without any real validity, and usually is called out for it. He never admits any wrongdoing and is incredibly passive aggressive. Think Keith Law but like 10X more obnoxious. 

22 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

There is no “try” in pro sports, you either do or you don’t. No participation or try hard awards. It was, is and always should be a results oriented business.

No, trades are the opposite of "do or don't." No one team can unilaterally compel a trade into existence. All a single team can do is assign value to available players at positions of need and make offers. That is all you can control.

If the argument is that a trade can be compelled into existence by increasing the offer until the other side has no choice but to accept, then that is not a decisionmaker I would trust or respect.

The front office is trying. They are identifying positions of need and they are making offers. They rightly value the players on our roster. And that's good enough for me.

• Upvote 2

Here's what I'm thinking with 24 hrs to go.

1. Mullins and Mountcastle are not getting traded. 

2. Kevin Pillar makes a ton of sense, maybe Pache is flipped as part of that deal to give LA a young replacement outfielder. 

3. Tyler Anderson also makes a ton of sense, and I could see us giving them Stowers or Norby and maybe Irvin and a young pitcher like Chace.

4. Flaherty seems like a Yankee fit.

5. Snell is a maybe if the prospect price is very low. 

6. Skubal doesn't seem likely. 

7. Scott is going to command a lot because everyone is on him. If we get him, I don't think we'll like what we had to give up. But we really need him or someone like him. 

8. Not a lot of rumors about Erceg, which sounds like Elias. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

2. Kevin Pillar makes a ton of sense, maybe Pache is flipped as part of that deal to give LA a young replacement outfielder. 

3. Tyler Anderson also makes a ton of sense, and I could see us giving them Stowers or Norby and maybe Irvin and a young pitcher like Chace.

7. Scott is going to command a lot because everyone is on him. If we get him, I don't think we'll like what we had to give up. But we really need him or someone like him. 

I think you’re onto alot. Good post. 

We all want a lot, but Anderson, Pillar/Ward, and Erceg, would fill our needs. I don’t think Snell is available. When do the Yankees never not get their guy?  

Anderson, Ward, and Erceg, seem like the fits since we haven’t heard any rumors tying us to any of them. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I too think we land Anderson/Pillar but If we get another RP i think its an off the board guy no one is thinking. Perhaps like a Julian Merryweather

2 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

I'm sorry, maybe it's just me. I don't really understand the point of the Yankees trading to add to their rotation and then immediately trading to subtract from their rotation.

They don’t believe that Cortes is good enough to start a game 3 or 4. They think Flaherty is. They did the same with Jordan Montgomery. 

In a way we’re doing the same with Suarez/Kremer, but we’d just kick Suarez to the pen if we get another SP. 

Feels like I'm the only one, but I do not see the allure of Kevin Pillar. Hes been worth negative bWAR 3 out the last 5 years, and is 35 years old.  He has not had over 1 bWAR over the course of a season since 2018. I feel like we would be watching a lot of very frustrating at bats and complaining at the lineups with him playing every day vs lefties. Career OBP under .300. Not sure hes better than Austin Hays. 

Edited by terpoh
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Feels like I'm the only one, but I do not see the allure of Kevin Pillar. Hes been worth negative bWAR 3 out the last 5 years, and is 35 years old.  He has not had over 1 bWAR over the course of a season since 2018. I feel like we would be watching a lot of very frustrating at bats and complaining at the lineups with him playing every day vs lefties. Not sure hes better than Austin Hays.

He can play center though, Hays clearly has lost a step and they were no longer comfortable putting him in center it seemed.  

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

He can play center though, Hays clearly has lost a step and they were no longer comfortable putting him in center it seemed.  

Can he play CF better than Pache?

3 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Feels like I'm the only one, but I do not see the allure of Kevin Pillar. Hes been worth negative bWAR 3 out the last 5 years, and is 35 years old.  He has not had over 1 bWAR over the course of a season since 2018. I feel like we would be watching a lot of very frustrating at bats and complaining at the lineups with him playing every day vs lefties. Not sure hes better than Austin Hays.

Pache would probably go straight up for Pillar or might be a piece to get Pillar and Anderson.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Pache would probably go straight up for Pillar or might be a piece to get Pillar and Anderson.

Right. That's what I'm saying though. It may just be me, but I wouldnt be excited about a Pache for Pillar swap. Pillar doesnt move the needle for us in my opinion. 

I guess in that case we essentially get an Austin Hays type back plus added a solid reliever in Dominguez. But I just have a feeling we would be forcing Pillar into every lineup vs LHP and I just dont see his offensive production being great in that role. 

Edited by terpoh

19 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

I'm sorry, maybe it's just me. I don't really understand the point of the Yankees trading to add to their rotation and then immediately trading to subtract from their rotation.

New York sports talk radio produces a toxic climate that puts a lot of pressure on the GM and incentivizes moves for the sake of moves.

52 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Who is JLC? In what context did he call Elias a jackass? 

Jason LaCanfora is a clown who is bitter that the Orioles didn’t hire him for MASN coverage of the games.

JLC was filling in part time last season during broadcasts and he weaseled his way onto MASN by kissing John Angelos’ butt. He’s a universally reviled sports media personality who somehow keeps getting high profile jobs. 

• Upvote 2