The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

I am curious to see what happens with the Astros and Verlander.  Looks like they may be heating up making it irrelevant but if they end up being a seller and he shows he is healthy before the deadline I think Verlander is the guy Elias targets.  I think with our new ownership and low payroll no reason we cannot take on the remainder of that contract and he could be the perfect replacement for Bradish. 

He’s gotta be healthy first.

Just now, eddie83 said:

For what it’s worth a Blue Jays writer, Shi Davidi thinks the Jays will try to move guys on expiring contracts but not make major changes. Saw him on MLBN earlier today.  

He doesn’t think they blow it up. 

Not sure why anyone would think they would.

On 6/17/2024 at 3:33 PM, Greg Pappas said:

Cal Quantrill (29) of the Rockies would be an interesting target for the rotation.  He has 1 1/2 years of control remaining and wouldn't cost a ton.

He's still pitching pretty well despite his last starts not being great. He might come cheaper because he's a free agent and the Rockies have nothing to play for this year. Maybe a guy like Norby would get him? Norby might hot bombs out in Colorado!

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's still pitching pretty well despite his last starts not being great. He might come cheaper because he's a free agent and the Rockies have nothing to play for this year. Maybe a guy like Norby would get him? Norby might hot bombs out in Colorado!

I feel like the Rockies rarely make trades. They are by far their own worst enemies.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

I feel like the Rockies rarely make trades. They are by far their own worst enemies.

Well they did give as a bag full of AAAA players for Givens a few year ago, maybe they can do us a solid and we'll give them a bag full of AAAA players for Quantrill.

58 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's got one more year of control after this one.  Norby would likely be a great return for them if Elias was amiable, but I'd think that might be overpaying.  Hard to say though, for sure.

Edited by Greg Pappas

There are multiple starter targets that make sense to me, to varying degrees, if their teams would be agreeable to dealing them.

• Tarik Skubal (27) from the Tigers, with 2.5 years of control. 
  • Cal Quantrill (29) of the Rockies, with 1.5 years of control.  
  • Jack Flaherty (28) of the Tigers, who is a FA after the season.
  • Erick Fedde (31) of the White Sox, who has 1.5 years remaining on his 2/$15m contract.
  • Tyler Anderson (34) of the Angels, who has 1.5 years remaining on his 3/$39m contract.

As I detailed earlier, I would not prefer we seek to trade for Crochet at this time, nor Soriano from the Mets.  JP Sears is someone that's pitched poorly this season, so I think I'd not look his way either.

The closer we get to the deadline, more teams will sell, adding more starters to this short list.

5 hours ago, eddie83 said:

For what it’s worth a Blue Jays writer, Shi Davidi thinks the Jays will try to move guys on expiring contracts but not make major changes. Saw him on MLBN earlier today.  

He doesn’t think they blow it up. 

Chsd Green might be interesting. 

4 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

There are multiple starter targets that make sense to me, to varying degrees, if their teams would be agreeable to dealing them.

• Tarik Skubal (27) from the Tigers, with 2.5 years of control. 
  • Cal Quantrill (29) of the Rockies, with 1.5 years of control.  
  • Jack Flaherty (28) of the Tigers, who is a FA after the season.
  • Erick Fedde (31) of the White Sox, who has 1.5 years remaining on his 2/$15m contract.
  • Tyler Anderson (34) of the Angels, who has 1.5 years remaining on his 3/$39m contract.

As I detailed earlier, I would not prefer we seek to trade for Crochet at this time, nor Soriano from the Mets.  JP Sears is someone that's pitched poorly this season, so I think I'd not look his way either.

The closer we get to the deadline, more teams will sell, adding more starters to this short list.

We have got to trade 1-2 or our top prospects, which is too much for any of those guys above.  We need to set our sights higher.

Edited by connja