Cade Povich 2024

Pickles

He was what he has been in AAA, which should have been enough to give us a shot of winning.

The 4th run was a fluke and if the offense produced anything, he would not have been back in for the 6th to allow the other 2 runs.

• Upvote 1

I said it in the game thread, but he reminded me of the way Bedard was before Bedard trusted his stuff and just started attacking.  Bedard had better overall stuff, to be certain.

Nibbled, threw too many balls.  But did enough for the team to have a chance to win.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I said it in the game thread, but he reminded me of the way Bedard was before Bedard trusted his stuff and just started attacking.  Bedard had better overall stuff, to be certain.

Nibbled, threw too many balls.  But did enough for the team to have a chance to win.

"Nibbling" would be an improvement for Povich. So many of his pitches are so far out of the zone, they are nowhere close to competitive.

Mixed bag, but enough to get him another outing.  He was having trouble landing his breaking stuff in the early innings, but landed some nice ones later.   Got behind a bit too much but at least a lot of his misses were close.  

58 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Make that 6 runs 

He deserved much better. While he didn't throw a ton of strikes, he didn't give up much harder contact besides the mistake to Vlad.

Tate has been a major league pitcher for several seasons and is throwing 1-2 crap sliders in the middle of the plate to give up two of those runs. 

Starters will end up much worse ERAs if the best the Orioles can do is bring in Dillon Tate in a key moment.

Mixed bag, but enough to get him another outing.  He was having trouble landing his breaking stuff in the early innings, but landed some nice ones later.   Got behind a bit too much but at least a lot of his misses were close.  Frobby

"Nibbling" would be an improvement for Povich. So many of his pitches are so far out of the zone, they are nowhere close to competitive. Dirtybird

I didn't get to see the game but reading the reports he either was missing close or they were nowhere close.  I guess they both watched two different games.  

I couldn't watch the game, but doesn't look like the savior to the rotation some were hyping him up to be.  Some people saying the O's were 8 deep in the rotation, counting Povich and McDermott.  Looks like our rotation depth is actually razor thin.

• Downvote 1

Imo he has enough talent to work with for the Orioles  pitching coaches staff.  Half the runs came on 1 pitch to one of the Jays better hitters.  A lefty, so might need to be a little patient with him on command.  A lefty starter is a prized addition if there is reasonable talent to tap in to. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Imo he has enough talent to work with for the Orioles  pitching coaches staff.  Half the runs came on 1 pitch to one of the Jays better hitters.  A lefty, so might need to be a little patient with him on command.  A lefty starter is a prized addition if there is reasonable talent to tap in to. 

That one bad pitch was the very first pitch after talking with our pitching coach on the mound. 

What did he say?

16 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I couldn't watch the game, but doesn't look like the savior to the rotation some were hyping him up to be.  

Literally nobody was hyping him to be the savior of the rotation

15 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I couldn't watch the game, but doesn't look like the savior to the rotation some were hyping him up to be.  Some people saying the O's were 8 deep in the rotation, counting Povich and McDermott.  Looks like our rotation depth is actually razor thin.

Counting him as an 8-deep depth option isn't the same as hyping him as rotation savior, and I don't think I saw a lot of the latter. 

General excitement about the callup ≠ expecting a savior. 

Not discouraged about the start at all. Learning process and bad luck. Walks, bloops, and Tate hanging a slider killed him. Not like Guerrero JR ball was a no doubter. Home run in half the parks in baseball.

• Upvote 1

Povich cuts down on his walks and he should fare pretty well, but the Jays aren't exactly a good hitting team. Will be interesting to see what the team does if Bradish make his next start soon. Does Povich stay in the rotation and maybe Suarez to the bullpen?

I'm not a proponent of the six man rotation given the heavy bullpen usage by the Orioles.