Cade Povich 2024

Pickles

13 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

So when Dean Kremer comes back, do we option Povich or do we DFA/option a relief pitcher and move Suarez into the bullpen?

Should Cade Povich stay in the rotation the rest of the season and continue his development?

This seems like a challenging decision to make. Hassle free option on a good developing young pitcher risking slowing down his MLB development, or risk losing a reliever to waivers.

I would move Suarez back to the pen and give some leash to Povich as long as he is keeping us in games. His development is going to be critical for both this season and to know if we can count on him for next years rotation, when we are already losing Bradish and probably Burnes.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm sort of guessing but I was looking around the site and this is as close as I could come to an explanation of physics, possibly... It talks about release point and movement consistency.

The Pitch Model plays an important role in determining the repeatability of a pitcher's outcomes based on how effective his pitches appear.

Yeah, that's a big factor for sure.  Assuming that guys good at math...

One thing that doesn't seem to be mentioned very often is the Orioles are seemingly high on Povich.  Of course, you would expect the Orioles to not be down on Povich but they seem to talk him up a lot.  I trust that their pitch modeling is ahead of the general public's.  One thing we can say so far is that the results seem better than expected.  Maybe they know something that we don't.  I sure hope that this is the case.  

I’m going to drop a rock into this pond of thoughtful posts. Does anyone else want Povich to get rid of that alleged mustache? The female clerk at the Shell minimart where my grandson gets ice cream after soccer camp has a more impressive stache.

• Haha 3

I’ve heard Povich compared to Max Fried both by the telecast and apparently by teammates.

curious if those that have watched a lot of him see that as accurate at all? Obvious getting even close to those kind of results would be best case scenario but from only seeing him MLB results it seems like they have very different command and Fried has a much better fastball.

Povich does seem to be able to limit hard contact, somehow or other.  I've seen enough to be excited for his future, but to me it makes sense to send him down when Kremer comes back.  He can work on throwing more strikes at Norfolk just as easily as he can in Baltimore.  

1 hour ago, casadeozo said:

I’ve heard Povich compared to Max Fried both by the telecast and apparently by teammates.

curious if those that have watched a lot of him see that as accurate at all? Obvious getting even close to those kind of results would be best case scenario but from only seeing him MLB results it seems like they have very different command and Fried has a much better fastball.

I’m not sending him down when Kremer returns. I agree with the posters calling for Suarez to go to the pen. This team is really good, and a developing Povich could be the key to really great

Edited by theobird
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theobird said:

I’m not sending him down when Kremer returns. I agree with the posters calling for Suarez to go to the pen. This team is really good, and a developing Povich could be the key to really great

This.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theobird said:

I agree. Give Povich a chance to get comfortable first he's been able to tread water so far. If Povich adjusts he can be a difference maker in the second half.

Povich has faced some tough teams in his career. Atlanta, NYY, Houston. Even at Toronto. Toronto is probably a playoff team if they weren’t in the AL East.

So in my book, he’s faced 4 playoff teams. 2 on the road. 

Gutsy efforts by the young man so far. He’s alright. 

Edited by sportsfan8703