This series is an example of why you don’t trade any of Holliday, Basallo, or Mayo, unless is for an ACE

An elite offense is more valuable than a closer in the regular season. It’s also more valuable than a singular #2-#5 regular season pitcher. Meaning Luzardo, Cease, or Mason Miller. 

The postseason is a crap shoot. If it wasn’t the Dodgers would’ve won the last 5 years. So for the postseason, just give me the hot arms or hot bats that are available. 

43 minutes ago, George Zuverink said:

An ACE controlled thru the 2026 season at least, under 28, with recovery from TJ surgery behind him. Any other qualifiers?

I don’t think we can call Crochet an ace by any definition. He has certainly had an. Awesome first half of the year but he has literally never started a game in MLB before this season. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

An elite offense is more valuable than a closer in the regular season. It’s also more valuable than a singular #2-#5 regular season pitcher. Meaning Luzardo, Cease, or Mason Miller. 

The postseason is a crap shoot. If it wasn’t the Dodgers would’ve won the last 5 years. So for the postseason, just give me the hot arms or hot bats that are available. 

I'm not sure what you're arguing here.

I don't think anyone here is really arguing to trade Holliday, Mayo, Basallo for anything, really.  I don't have the scientific proof to back it up, but it seems like the consensus is those three are the ones that no one wants to trade.  Or if they do trade them, there better be a massive haul coming back. 

I also don't believe Elias would trade any of those three.  Holliday is still considered the best prospect in the game, @Roy Firestonekeeps telling us that Mayo has been told that he should buy a house in Baltimore or something and Basallo is really good for his age.  I don't think they're going anywhere.

You're right that the postseason is a crap shoot, but I don't understand what you mean when you say, "So for the postseason, just give me the hot arms or hot bats that are available."  

• Upvote 1

Would Logan Webb qualify?  Would the Giants trade him?  He's under contract through 2028 under a very team friendly deal and it doesn't look like the Giants are going anywhere any time soon.  I'd give up Mayo+ or Basallo+ for him, with the plus being any one of Kjerstad, Norby, Stowers, etc.

He provides help for us for the playoff push and gives us continuity for upcoming years with Burnes hitting the open market after this year.

Edited by Hallas

3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Would Logan Webb qualify?  Would the Giants trade him?  He's under contract through 2028 under a very team friendly deal and it doesn't look like the Giants are going anywhere any time soon.  I'd give up Mayo+ or Basallo+ for him, with the plus being any one of Kjerstad, Norby, Stowers, etc.

He provides help for us for the playoff push and gives us continuity for upcoming years with Burnes hitting the open market after this year.

I think the only way you get Webb is with what you're proposing Mayo or Basallo plus additional prospect. Giants aren't usually a team that sell, but they could use multiple guys over just having Webb.

Webb is the type of player you would give up a top prospect for over the likes of Garrett Crochet and  Mason Miller.  Orioles would have to part with a pitching prospect too.  If Scherzer can still pitch maybe you pick up his contract and part with a lesser prospect.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure what you're arguing here.

I don't think anyone here is really arguing to trade Holliday, Mayo, Basallo for anything, really.  I don't have the scientific proof to back it up, but it seems like the consensus is those three are the ones that no one wants to trade.  Or if they do trade them, there better be a massive haul coming back. 

I also don't believe Elias would trade any of those three.  Holliday is still considered the best prospect in the game, @Roy Firestonekeeps telling us that Mayo has been told that he should buy a house in Baltimore or something and Basallo is really good for his age.  I don't think they're going anywhere.

You're right that the postseason is a crap shoot, but I don't understand what you mean when you say, "So for the postseason, just give me the hot arms or hot bats that are available."  

I think we have to acknowledge other platforms that are out there. The O’s Hangout FB group has 30k members. There’s not a day that goes by that Mason Miller isn’t fawned over. Then there’s the local radio station 105.7. Haynie wants us to sell the farm for Luis Robert and Crochet/Fedde, or a move for Mason Miller.  

So while we haven’t had a thread here awhile about it, it most certainly is getting talked about. 

My current opinion is we still have 5ish weeks till the deadline, and I’d rather go the rental route. Selfishly, I want us to win the WS. I’m 40. I was 0.1 years old the last time we won. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we have to acknowledge other platforms that are out there. The O’s Hangout FB group has 30k members. There’s not a day that goes by that Mason Miller isn’t fawned over. Then there’s the local radio station 105.7. Haynie wants us to sell the farm for Luis Robert and Crochet/Fedde, or a move for Mason Miller.  

So while we haven’t had a thread here awhile about it, it most certainly is getting talked about. 

My current opinion is we still have 5ish weeks till the deadline, and I’d rather go the rental route. Selfishly, I want us to win the WS. I’m 40. I was 0.1 years old the last time we won. 

Eh, I don't have to acknowledge the other platforms out there.  I mean, you can but as far as I'm concerned this is the best little corner of the internet to discuss the Orioles.  Twietnam can be entertaining and it's good for breaking news, but that just ends up here.  I'd imagine facebook to be a disaster, too.  I refuse to listen to sports talk radio as it's 55% talk and 45% commercials.  So, I don't know what Haynie wants, no do I really care.  

That said, wanting Mason Miller is understandable.  He would make our bullpen immediately better and when Bautista comes back, that's a great two headed monster in the 8th and 9th.  I don't feel the need to see Kimbrel trying to close games in September and October.

In a day and age where starters are going less and less innings and being shelved more often due to TJ, bullpens matter.  And I'm not saying to trade one of our top 3 guys for bullpen help, but it's something we need.

I want to win the World Series, too.  I don't know why you put the "selfishly" disclaimer there, that was weird.  We all want to win the World Series.

But as interested as I am in winning the World Series, I'm almost more interested that we have a strong chance to do it every year for the next decade.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Eh, I don't have to acknowledge the other platforms out there.  I mean, you can but as far as I'm concerned this is the best little corner of the internet to discuss the Orioles.  Twietnam can be entertaining and it's good for breaking news, but that just ends up here.  I'd imagine facebook to be a disaster, too.  I refuse to listen to sports talk radio as it's 55% talk and 45% commercials.  So, I don't know what Haynie wants, no do I really care.  

That said, wanting Mason Miller is understandable.  He would make our bullpen immediately better and when Bautista comes back, that's a great two headed monster in the 8th and 9th.  I don't feel the need to see Kimbrel trying to close games in September and October.

In a day and age where starters are going less and less innings and being shelved more often due to TJ, bullpens matter.  And I'm not saying to trade one of our top 3 guys for bullpen help, but it's something we need.

I want to win the World Series, too.  I don't know why you put the "selfishly" disclaimer there, that was weird.  We all want to win the World Series.

But as interested as I am in winning the World Series, I'm almost more interested that we have a strong chance to do it every year for the next decade.  

I think we've moved on from the weird "everyone is obsessed with having a homegrown lineup so you might as well give non homegrown players away" to something new. 

You can probably count on one hand the amount of posters here that would be willing to trade either of those 3. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

I think we've moved on from the weird "everyone is obsessed with having a homegrown lineup so you might as well give non homegrown players away" to something new. 

You can probably count on one hand the amount of posters here that would be willing to trade either of those 3. 

The main local sports station literally has a pregame show that centers around the host saying we should trade one of those 3 for Mason Miller or Luis Robert. 

Am I the only poster that puts on 105.7 on the way home from work at 5:30 and listens to “Baltimore Baseball Tonight”?

Just because there isn’t a thread here, trading one of the big 3 is a very popular opinion shared by fans in order to “get us over the hump”. 

23 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think the only way you get Webb is with what you're proposing Mayo or Basallo plus additional prospect. Giants aren't usually a team that sell, but they could use multiple guys over just having Webb.

Webb is the type of player you would give up a top prospect for over the likes of Garrett Crochet and  Mason Miller.  Orioles would have to part with a pitching prospect too.  If Scherzer can still pitch maybe you pick up his contract and part with a lesser prospect.

If Webb is made available the O's should be all over the opportunity to acquire him. Problem, as bad as the Giants are (well mediocre) they are only a game or so back in the wildcard.

But they are the kind of team like the Cards and Red Sox who are just stuck in the middle (not really good or bad).

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The main local sports station literally has a pregame show that centers around the host saying we should trade one of those 3 for Mason Miller or Luis Robert. 

Am I the only poster that puts on 105.7 on the way home from work at 5:30 and listens to “Baltimore Baseball Tonight”?

Just because there isn’t a thread here, trading one of the big 3 is a very popular opinion shared by fans in order to “get us over the hump”. 

Talk radio usually brings out the worst in any fan base. Mike Elias didn't build this up to throw it away at one trade deadline in my opinion. I don't think they have enough pieces behind those 3 to make a significant trade for a SP, but I believe they can shore up the BP with available players.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah, but that's dumb.  And you should know dumb stuff when you hear it.  Like, trading for Luis Robert is a bad idea.  He's almost always hurt and when he's been on the field this year, he's been pretty awful.  

Mason Miller is more appealing since he'd be under so many years of control.  I'm not advocating for us to trade one of the big three for him, but I can understand why someone would want to.  And, really, if they're going to want to trade one of the big 3, make it Mayo or Basallo.

Haynie is there (I'm assuming, it's been forever since I've listened to anything he's had to say) to say stupid stuff to stir the pot and get people to listen and to call in.  That's it, that's all he exists to do.  

Just because an opinion is popular doesn't mean it's a good idea.  The casual fan probably has no idea just how bad Luis Robert is and how often he's hurt, they just know he was a hot name a few years ago and plays on a terrible team.  I promise you that's as far as they've thought it through.  Pay no attention to them.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, casadeozo said:

I don’t think we can call Crochet an ace by any definition. He has certainly had an. Awesome first half of the year but he has literally never started a game in MLB before this season. 

I wasn’t saying Crochet is an ACE. I was only trying to see what boxes would have to be checked for people to be willing to trade any of the Big Three. In math it is possible to define so many constraints on an acceptable solution that there aren’t any.