17 Runs after Gunnar getting drilled. Was that enough fire from Hyde?

36 minutes ago, frankwhite said:

Can of cope. You are the one bringing race into a baseball chat. 

Can of cope is funny, I’ll give you that. And you’re right about the race baiting. There was no reason for him to make that comment. But that’s what he does. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

In all fairness, it was a questionable way to end his initial post and I feel unnecessary. Players in every league have "policed" themselves by throwing at hitters since the game was invented. Race had nothing to do with it.

That's fair.

It was an attack on the idea of the good old days somehow being superior.

They weren't.  Discrimination wasn't right.  Throwing at people isn't right.  We are better served with today's game.

Hopefully the last vestiges of the mentality that leads people to throw at others are on their way out.  I think it's a good sign the O's didn't retaliate.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's fair.

It was an attack on the idea of the good old days somehow being superior.

They weren't.  Discrimination wasn't right.  Throwing at people isn't right.  We are better served with today's game.

Hopefully the last vestiges of the mentality that leads people to throw at others are on their way out.  I think it's a good sign the O's didn't retaliate.

I basically agree on everything. The good old days mean different things to different age groups. Being a brown man who's lived in the US for 5 and a half decades the good old days to me are the 70's. I understand the history of discrimination, but the point of players being thrown at was not reserved exclusively for the segregated game. I don't think anything good comes out of beanball wars.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

In all fairness, it was a questionable way to end his initial post and I feel unnecessary. Players in every league have "policed" themselves by throwing at hitters since the game was invented. Race had nothing to do with it.

Pitchers also batted which held them accountable.  Guys like Gibson, Drysdale, Sal "the barber" Maglie all owned the inside but they also went to the plate.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SemperFi said:

Pitchers also batted which held them accountable.  Guys like Gibson, Drysdale, Sal "the barber" Maglie all owned the inside but they also went to the plate.

I see that mentioned a lot.

Are there any records of pitchers actually getting thrown at themselves?

Did anyone throw at Gibson?

Maybe they did, I don't actually know, but I've never heard of it.

I just looked up Gibson, 8 career HBP in 1489 PA.  I don't think other pitchers retaliated.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I see that mentioned a lot.

Are there any records of pitchers actually getting thrown at themselves?

Did anyone throw at Gibson?

Maybe they did, I don't actually know, but I've never heard of it.

I just looked up Gibson, 8 career HBP in 1489 PA.  I don't think other pitchers retaliated.

Would you throw at Bob Gibson knowing you had to bat against him?

That's exactly my point, that in the "good old days" pitchers could not hit guys with impunity as they had to bat.  The guys I mentioned were noted not for hitting guys rather that they pitched inside and were respected.  HBP's are now at a rate much higher (~30%) than they were in the 60's so guys certainly weren't headhunting more in the "good old times" than today.  "And for those who say, "Well, maybe Gibson didn't hit a lot of players, but he certainly knocked down a whole bunch," Gibson himself has this retort: "I hear all the time that I threw at hitters. It's ridiculous. If I threw at a batter, I hit him."

Edited by SemperFi

Just now, SemperFi said:

That's exactly my point, that in the "good old days" pitchers could not hit guys with impunity as they had to bat.  The guys I mentioned were noted not for hitting guys rather that they pitched inside and were respected.  HBP's are now at a rate much higher (~30%) than they were in the 60's so guys certainly weren't headhunting more in the "good old times" than today.  And for those who say, "Well, maybe Gibson didn't hit a lot of players, but he certainly knocked down a whole bunch," Gibson himself has this retort: "I hear all the time that I threw at hitters. It's ridiculous. If I threw at a batter, I hit him."

I don't see how what I said supports your point.   I don't think there is much evidence that pitchers that threw at guys got thrown at in return.  Maybe I'm wrong on that but I don't recall it.  By what you are saying Gibson should have a lot of HBP as a batter since opposing pitchers would be protecting their guys by throwing at him.

I don't think that today's HBP numbers reflect guys "Head hunting".  I think more folks were thrown at intentionally back in the day and that more guys are hit unintentionally in today's game.  Some of it is guys not having great control, some is guys crowding the plate, some are guys with gear leaning into pitches so of it is higher velocity and movement being harder to avoid.

We had a fair number of HBP in the Yankee series, I think you can only make a case for one of them being intentional.

22 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

COOL!  You can break someone's hand!  That will show everyone how tough you are!  Maybe you can even end a career.

Pfft.  We're adults, we should act like it.

By old school baseball the way it was meant to be played do you mean whites only?

Poor ole corn head, bet he got a lot of participation trophies growing up, probably looking at them now in his moms basement. the wussification of America and Americans sports, dont want your hand broke don’t hang out over the plate, as far as whites only, you are a total POS to even bring that up, 

On 6/21/2024 at 5:35 AM, Sports Guy said:

No issues with Judge or any player being upset that they get hit in the hand.  

But acting like it was intentional and that the Os are head hunting despite all the stats that say different showed the Yankees to be weak.

The Os didn’t cry when the Yankees hit 5 batters in the first series.

I like Judge and think he’s good for baseball but he looked like a p***y the other day.

Yup, and not the first time.

On 6/21/2024 at 5:44 AM, nevadaO said:

Especially after he missed only...... ONE GAME

Next week: "Judge misses 2 games due to hangnail"

Or, he refuses to play in protest at Camden Yards because of that mean LF wall they constructed.

Boo hoo, Aaron. 😥

Edited by Il BuonO