I sort of don't get Elias's plan

gtman55

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But we can read.  (Yes I know these are all sadly out of print and expensive and no, I haven't read the first one)

https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Baseball-Strategy-Paul-Richard/dp/B000OM8WTK

https://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Waxahachie-Richards-Baseball-American/dp/0870745565

I’m sure the Paul Richard’s estate is thankful for the plug.

I believe THIS is Elias' strategy for the next 3+ years:

C - Adley / Basallo

DH - Basallo / Adley

1b - Mayo / O'Hearn / Basallo / Adley

2b - Holliday / Norby

ss - Henderson / Norby

3b - Westburg / Henderson

lf -  Cowser / Beavers 

cf - Fabian / Cowser / Bradfield

rf - Kjerstad / Beavers / Norby / O'Hearn

SP - Burnes (resigned 5 years / $150M)

SP - GrayRod

SP - FA starter / Bradish (when he returns)

SP - Povich / FA starter

SP - McDermott / Johnson / FA starter

CL - Bautista

That's a cost controlled, all world baseline squad with massive positional depth and the financial flexibility to add super star players at any position of need via Free Agency.

If Povich / McDermott / Johnson don't work out, you sign a FA starter or trade from minors to fill that spot in.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Dude, what is your problem?

You just haven't had an argument with me in a few days so you want to give me blow back for posting links to BOOKS?

That's just embarrassing.

A few days?   Seems a lot longer.   99% of the posters on here can get all of the information they likely desire here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Richards_(baseball)

Can, for those of us that can remember, your point is well taken. Richards was the one who built the foundation of the Orioles of the 60's to early 80's. Dalton enabled it to thrive and last a long time. Elias started with zip and not the greatest owner in the world. He's built a farm system - an international presence - and a winning major league team at a time when there are many more teams and obsticles to overcome and manage. Plus he's still here so the script if you will is still being writtten (and debated on this site daily.) It's hard to say who is/was the best of the three but Elias has to be in the conversation and probably if they each were measured by some standard metric that factored in all the givens -  the favorite. Whether you agree with all of Elias's moves or not, he has done one hell of a job under at best, trying circumstances. We use to complain on here that the Orioles had no plan. Well they have one now whether we understand or agree with it or not. And, that plan with all it's percieved flaws is on pace for another 100 win season.

3 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Can, for those of us that can remember, your point is well taken. Richards was the one who built the foundation of the Orioles of the 60's to early 80's. Dalton enabled it to thrive and last a long time. Elias started with zip and not the greatest owner in the world. He's built a farm system - an international presence - and a winning major league team at a time when there are many more teams and obsticles to overcome and manage. Plus he's still here so the script if you will is still being writtten (and debated on this site daily.) It's hard to say who is/was the best of the three but Elias has to be in the conversation and probably if they each were measured by some standard metric that factored in all the givens -  the favorite. Whether you agree with all of Elias's moves or not, he has done one hell of a job under at best, trying circumstances. We use to complain on here that the Orioles had no plan. Well they have one now whether we understand or agree with it or not. And, that plan with all it's percieved flaws is on pace for another 100 win season.

I wasn't speaking out against Elias at all.

My point was simply that I don't think Richards gets enough credit.  I think he's been lost to history to a degree.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't speaking out against Elias at all.

My point was simply that I don't think Richards gets enough credit.  I think he's been lost to history to a degree.

And I didn't respond thinking you were. The rest of my essay was expressing my appreciation for Elias not directed at you. This OP is about Elias's Plan.