What other Orioles deserve to be on the All Star Team (11 reserves, 12 pitchers)

Frobby

What other Orioles deserve to be on the All Star Team?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which other Orioles deserve to be on the All Star Team?

• Corbin Burnes
    • Craig Kimbrel
    • Ryan Mountcastle
    • Ryan O’Hearn
    • Grayson Rodriguez
    • Anthony Santander
    • Jordan Westburg
    • Other (specify)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 07/07/24 at 21:30

Burnes and Westburg definitely. Probably Kimbrel. You could make a case for any of the names up there, but I wouldn't take Santander on account of his defense dragging down his WAR, O'Hearn because he's a platoon bat, Grayson because he's missed time and been inconsistent. Mountcastle is the most debatable, but I feel like there's probably just enough first basemen better than him to leave him off the roster.

If Burnes or Westburg weren't to make the All-Star Game (of course Burnes will), they'd be legit snubs. 3B is pretty deep, though.

The other guys, I don't think they'd be snubs. Mountcastle could make it at 1B because it's such a weak position. Kimbrel could make it because of his name value. I don't think the rest of them make it. 

They could game it a bit and take Westburg as the backup 2B.

He doesn't really deserve a spot at 3B over Devers, and you have to figure Paredes will be the TB representative. Even behind those two, it’s pretty much a toss-up with Josh Smith (who has the managerial edge). 

There’s nothing behind Altuve at 2B, though, and Westburg has played enough there that no one could really make a stink if he gets the slot (as a much better player this year) over guys like Semien or Gimenez.

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

They could game it a bit and take Westburg as the backup 2B.

He doesn't really deserve a spot at 3B over Devers, and you have to figure Paredes will be the TB representative. Even behind those two, it’s pretty much a toss-up with Josh Smith (who has the managerial edge). 

There’s nothing behind Altuve at 2B, though, and Westburg has played enough there that no one could really make a stink if he gets the slot (as a much better player this year) over guys like Semien or Gimenez.

But why would Bochy game it?

It could happen but I'm not expecting it.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But why would Bochy game it?

It could happen but I'm not expecting it.

I guess the only strong reason would be a sense of obligation to do right by the best players. Jordan has clearly been one of the two best guys to play a solid amount of 2B this year, so maybe that’s enough. 

Or maybe MLB would give a little push. The Orioles are among the best and most marketable teams in the league at the moment, but I think there’s a very real chance that they’ll only end up with two reps at the game (with Burnes picked but declining to participate). If I was in the league office, I’d probably prefer to see a bit more orange and black on the roster. 

But realistically, you’re right. No real incentive for Bochy to do that, when the obvious other choice at the position is his guy, who has enough name recognition and cachet that selecting him wouldn’t cause any kind of stir.

If the AL is going to take 8 starters and 4 relievers I like Kimbrel's chances a lot more than Grayson's.  For the relievers, they usually chose the top closers aka the guys with the most saves.  It's hard to argue that Grayson is a top 10 starter looking at the stats, plus there are guys who are almost guaranteed a pitching spot as their team's sole selection like Crochet, Miller and Anderson.  I don't see Grayson making it unless multiple guys decline invitations.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s a plausible candidate but there are others like Josh Naylor who arguably deserve it as much or more.  

He wasn't the runner up though, Mountcastle was. Why isn't he automatically the reserve just based on that alone?

It used to be with the old ways of voting whoever was first got the start and usually the person who came in second was a reserve and they worked around the needing a representative from every team. I wish they just did that instead of the second round head to head vote.

23 minutes ago, CynBeth said:

It used to be with the old ways of voting whoever was first got the start and usually the person who came in second was a reserve and they worked around the needing a representative from every team. I wish they just did that instead of the second round head to head vote.

I think the 2nd round H2H is a way to try to keep one team's fans from stuffing the ballot box.  FWIW I think they got pretty every position right this year (at least in the AL) so it seems to have worked.