You can dismiss it as "one bad game"...but it's very telling.

The Orioles have serious pitching problems....thats not breaking news...but the truth is besides Burnes, G-rod, and maybe Kremer and Albert...this team has virtually nothing else in the pitching department..Absolutely no depth....The Orioles have somehow gotten by for most of the first half of the season with stop gap pitching in the back of the rotation, and an extremely questionable bullpen.Sure. every team has bad games, and so do top pitchers...it happens. But Povich , though he had some decent outings, is NOT Major League ready and should be sent down for Chayce McDermott. McDermott's numbers at Norfolk dont dazzle either, he too has severe command issues...but we have to see "what we have" before the deadline. The Orioles may need 2 veteran arms to provide depth in thee rotation...and definitely need an arm or two in the pen. Going into today, incredibly,the Orioles had the second best ERA in the majors...but it's been a very deceptive stat. Our pen is grossly overworked and the starters cant afford another injury to the rotation. I'd move Irvin too. He's been awful..maybe he can work on some things in Norfolk...but the Orioles have little or no options after McDermott....not a single starter at Norfolk has impressed. I think you'll see major moves at the deadline. We could see Mountcastle traded..and or Hays...Stowers, Norby, and others will go too... I wouldn't trade Kjerstad, Mayo or Basalo...but anyone else in the minors  and some veterans is a consideration. Povich was awful today, from literally the first batter...Orioles need to send him down and see if McDermott is any kind of option. I kind of think he's not  SOS.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Malike said:

You shouted from the rooftops that Povich needed to be brought up and now you're doing it for McDermott. You will never be satisfied and there is absolutely nothing "telling" about this game. It's a loss and even when the Orioles were losing 108 games they managed to blowout playoff teams like the Guardians who won 93 games and got blown out by the 108 loss O's 13-0 two days in a row.

First of all, I dont shout. Second, at the TIME he(Povich) pitched well and actually had some good outings here and there..But he has been exposed. He has major control issues and doesnt throw hard enough or isnt deceptive enough to fool good hitters.Mc Dermoitt has to be brought up as a kind of showcase to see what we have.Of course, it's one game..but if you think this team has enough of a rotation with all looming issues and potential injuries... youre fooling yourself. We need starters and one or two bullpen pieces...this is just not enough. I never said this isnt a good team, it clearly is. But the Orioles need depth and badly in the pitching department...

• Downvote 1

I think everyone agrees the Orioles need to add some pitching quality at the deadline.   They would need to do that even if we had won 10-0 today.

Today's game isn't all that "telling".   An inconsistent rookie starter who has had some good games and some bad ones had a really, really bad one.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

First of all, I dont shout. Second, at the TIME he(Povich) pitched well and actually had some good outings here and there..But he has been exposed. He has major control issues and doesnt throw hard enough or isnt deceptive enough to fool good hitters.Mc Dermoitt has to be brought up as a kind of showcase to see what we have.Of course, it's one game..but if you think this team has enough of a rotation with all looming issues and potential injuries... youre fooling yourself. We need starters and one or two bullpen pieces...this is just not enough. I never said this isnt a good team, it clearly is. But the Orioles need depth and badly in the pitching department...

When you were asking for him everyone that had been paying attention was aware that he had control issues and didn't throw hard.

The only question was if he could somehow be deceptive enough despite those flaws.

• Upvote 1

We have known we have had to add pitching since Bradish and Coulombe went down. And actually long before that with Means, Bradish and Wells being injured early on. Or arguably even in the offseason with Felix having surgery. I don't think I have heard ANY fans here or elsewhere who think we should just stay the course pitching-wise. So yeah today sucked, but it doesn't really change anything...unless you think getting embarrassed by a not-so-great team is going to somehow light a fire under the front office's butt. I'd like to think they are well aware, however.  

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

The Orioles have serious pitching problems....thats not breaking news...but the truth is besides Burnes, G-rod, and maybe Kremer and Albert...this team has virtually nothing else in the pitching department..Absolutely no depth....The Orioles have somehow gotten by for most of the first half of the season with stop gap pitching in the back of the rotation, and an extremely questionable bullpen.Sure. every team has bad games, and so do top pitchers...it happens. But Povich , though he had some decent outings, is NOT Major League ready and should be sent down for Chayce McDermott. McDermott's numbers at Norfolk dont dazzle either, he too has severe command issues...but we have to see "what we have" before the deadline. The Orioles may need 2 veteran arms to provide depth in thee rotation...and definitely need an arm or two in the pen. Going into today, incredibly,the Orioles had the second best ERA in the majors...but it's been a very deceptive stat. Our pen is grossly overworked and the starters cant afford another injury to the rotation. I'd move Irvin too. He's been awful..maybe he can work on some things in Norfolk...but the Orioles have little or no options after McDermott....not a single starter at Norfolk has impressed. I think you'll see major moves at the deadline. We could see Mountcastle traded..and or Hays...Stowers, Norby, and others will go too... I wouldn't trade Kjerstad, Mayo or Basalo...but anyone else in the minors  and some veterans is a consideration. Povich was awful today, from literally the first batter...Orioles need to send him down and see if McDermott is any kind of option. I kind of think he's not  SOS.

For you being a journalist and writer?  I am disappointed that you can't use paragraphs.  I mean this is literally grade school writing 101. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

In addition to needing SPing, the stat I saw about them being 2nd to last in MLB producing w/ the bases loaded and less than 2 outs is very telling (ironically the A's were last). I don't care if they are "leading" MLB in all of these offensive stats. The eye test says this team does not hit consistently in the clutch. They pile up a lot of garbage time runs like today, but when it's clutch time its a big fat choke. This is not the makings of a WS contender.

They pitched a rookie starter who probably is not ready for the MLB, arguably their worst RHH RP, their long man, and James McCann. None of those guys are likely on their playoff roster and if they acquire a starter and 2 relievers, it’s possible that only one of them is even on the roster in August. 

Typical reactionary Roy thread. I will give it to Roy for being nothing else but consistent!

”Prospect X is the answer to all that ails us.” Then Prospect X struggles. “Send them back! They are not ready!” “But the solutions is Prospect Y”. Then Prospect Y struggles. *rinse repeat*

Then concurrently, “We need to trade for pitching!” But (predictably) “Don’t give up any players or prospects of significant value (for a fair exchange).” *rinse repeat*

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

They pitched a rookie starter who probably is not ready for the MLB, arguably their worst RHH RP, their long man, and James McCann. None of those guys are likely on their playoff roster and if they acquire a starter and 2 relievers, it’s possible that only one of them is even on the roster in August. 

You forgot about Cole Irvin…lol

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

Listed him as their long man! He’s down bad right now though. 

The magic of his first two months has worn completely off and the league adjusted to him attacking the zone early in counts.