Holliday, Mayo or Basallo

Pick one  

104 members have voted

1. 1. If you could acquire a player you wanted and you had to trade one of the big 3 prospects, who do you choose?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

If Mayo ends up at first, who is your second baseman? 

I'm not entirely sure.  And it's not to say that I don't care, because I would...but I'm assuming the Orioles as constructed in this scenario with Mayo at 1st, Gunnar at SS and Westburg plus whatever I got back from Holliday and Adley and Cowser and Kjerstad and Basallo...like, if I don't have second base nailed down, it's not the biggest issue in the world.

I suppose trading Holliday would open up the biggest hole on the team if you trade any of the 3.  That's a problem, but again, it's not the biggest issue.  Especially if Holliday were to bring back some pitching, I'd be alright.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

NORBY … Also we still have Vavra who has a .803 OPS

Vavra?  lol. He’s not a consideration for anything.

Norby? Not great defensively at second at all. I doubt the Os stay with that.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Vavra?  lol. He’s not a consideration for anything.

Norby? Not great defensively at second at all. I doubt the Os stay with that.

We don’t need a star at every position. If you have Westburg at 3B, Gunnar at SS, and Mayo at 1B you probably have one of the best infields even without considering 2B. 

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

We don’t need a star at every position. If you have Westburg at 3B, Gunnar at SS, and Mayo at 1B you probably have one of the best infields even without considering 2B. 

We don’t need a star at every position, but that’s what we have. 

Trade NONE of them!  Keep Holliday, Mayo, Basallo!   (I'd even try to keep Kjerstad too!).

Package Stowers, McDermott, Norby, Bradfield, Beavers and 2 other lower minors guys!  

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If Mayo ends up at first, who is your second baseman? 

Keep Holiday and when he’s ready , install him at 2B , keep Westy at 3B , Gunnar at SS and Mayo is our 1B . Then after we’re set at infield.

keep one of Urias , Mateo or Norby as our utility backup. 
I love Basallo but he’s the one ( if we plan on Skubal) to sacrifice 

Just my opinion 

Since I currently have Basallo 3rd, guess I have to be consistent and say he would go first. 

I think Mayo and Basallo have the chance to be absolute impact power bats while I think Holliday has a chance to be a very good OBP guy with some pop. 

I'd only say Basallo because he has more risk than the other other two and Orioles seem to be gradually transitioning from catch to 1B (he's basically split time between C and 1B since he was allowed to throw. Saying that, Basallo may have the highest ceiling bat wise of the three. 

Mayo is the safest bet because he's major league ready now and has developed that game power now. The arm strength gives him a chance to stay at 3B for a bit but even if he transitions to 1B or RF he'll have value. Holliday hit just .222 in June in AAA but had a .444 OBP because if his ability to draw walks, walks that he might not get with major league umpires until he establishes himself. 

Really, I'm not trading any of them, but if I had to, it's Basallo followed by Holliday.

• Upvote 1

I have concerns about Holliday. I know SSS and the O's put a lot of pressure on the kid. T-shirt day, his first appearance. Really?? Who the F planned that? Still, I saw nothing that impressed me, hitting, fielding or arm. I know all the scouts had him one or close to it. I sometimes wonder if their ratings had anything to do with his father's success. So, the O's send him back down to fix him. I think this kid lived baseball and was probably given the best coaching on a near daily basis by his dad, players and coaches on the Cardinals. He's young and may be great. Sell high.

Mayo...everyone looks at the O....where to hide him?  No way 3rd. This site is pretty tough on players that play poor D.

40 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No you don’t need a star but Vavra is below replacement level.  Norby may hit enough to justify his defense but the Os aren’t likely to go with poor D up the middle.

2 hours ago, Orioles5258 said:

He's 6 foot, he's taller than the number 2 and 6 all time home run leaders; What size does a second basemen need to be these days?????  

Compared to Mayo and Basallo.  Those two are big dudes with big power.   Holliday not so big but with good power.   Holliday could still be a .310/400/500 type or better with 25-30 homers but I don't see it without some major adjustments.   Actually,  one adjustment.    He'll probably make it at some point and then I'll change my mind.

I have zero interest in trading any of these guys, but I think Holliday is still a cut above the other two because he’s going to produce a lot of defensive value at 2B (or CF). I still have faith in his bat, his minor league production at the age/levels he’s been at (including after going back down to AAA) is too good to think he’ll completely flop at the MLB level.

Basallo and Mayo are very tough. Mayo is a simply incredible offensive prospect, and MLB ready now whereas Basallo still needs some development. I’m more excited to see Mayo at the plate than any other of the recent Orioles prospects, I think he’s going to be amazing. But his upside defensively is still limited compared to Basallo. At best he’s an average 3B. Basallo at best is an above average C, and even if he’s just average or even below average (but startable) at C that’s more valuable.

Mayo may have an edge as a prospect over Basallo just by being closer to the majors, but there’s a better path for Basallo to contributing defensively for the Orioles’ current team composition by starting 60-80 games behind Adley (in the next 3 years we have Adley).

@Greg Pappas I was one of the only people who post on Greg‘s thread, so I can only repeat what I said there, which is that I don’t care who Mike trades and I don’t have any untouchables.

by the way, I don’t know anything about Billy Beane except  what I learned in Moneyball, but he was a five tool player who failed.

I’ve never done any kind of comparison, but every time I think of Jackson, I think of Billy.