Saturday 7-13-24 Screw the Yankees Game Thread

FlaO'sFan

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He isn’t a fan. It wouldn’t be good for his job to emotional. It would be terrible in fact. 

Of course, but that is beside the point, which is that he may decide the current team is adequate and do nothing. He wants >.500, a playoff spot, and everything else is gravy.

Then use his prospects to replace the current outfield, use the savings to buy some pitching, draft carefully, and continue next year, ad infinitum. And the Os keep winning 90+ games.

Not a bad plan, but it means no big trades, and basically standing Pat from year to year.

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

I have no doubt that he wants to win a World Series and will have the flexibility to do what he needs to do. I was speaking to more about him not being in panic mode during a terrible stretch of baseball. They'll snap out of it.

Yes, I think he wants to win a World Series, but no, I don’t think he’s going to trade all of his prospects and roll the dice on a single year. I think he won’t make any significant trade if the cost is too high, and as we have seen so far, whatever the cost is, it has been too high. He’s trying to make improvements inexpensively and so far they’re not working.

Everybody wants to win a World Series, but if we have, say, 10 consecutive years of playoff appearances, I doubt he will complain too much.

Lots of other people will, including all of us, but I doubt he will.

Just now, HowAboutThat said:

Yes, I think he wants to win a World Series, but no, I don’t think he’s going to trade all of his prospects and roll the dice on a single year. I think he won’t make any significant trade if the cost is too high, and as we have seen so far, whatever the cost is, it has been too high. He’s trying to make improvements inexpensively and so far they’re not working.

Everybody wants to win a World Series, but if we have, say, 10 consecutive years of playoff appearances, I doubt he will complain too much.

If he does this I hope he gets fired. If we have 10 years of playoff appearances and people aren't satisfied with the job he's doing, they should pick another team to watch, preferably the one that is leading in the 9th in the clincher game of the World Series each year. 

2 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Of course, but that is beside the point, which is that he may decide the current team is adequate and do nothing. He wants >.500, a playoff spot, and everything else is gravy.

Then use his prospects to replace the current outfield, use the savings to buy some pitching, draft carefully, and continue next year, ad infinitum. And the Os keep winning 90+ games.

Not a bad plan, but it means no big trades, and basically standing Pat from year to year.

Bottom line is this. I’m not directing this at you but in general.

There are very few arms that are good enough to deal the Orioles high end talent for. I’m not sure any of them will be available this deadline. People need to accept that. 

He will add but it’s not like there are multiple high end arms sitting around on bad teams waiting to be dealt. Crochet has a great arm but also questions since this is his first year starting. 

2 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I worry Elias plan is no longer working!  Our hitters weaknesses are being figured out as well as our pitching.  Proper coaching is needeed help corrections!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Remember that he may have different goals. He wants a consistent pipeline that produces long term success, and he may be less interested in paying a high price to insure a WS. 

if he thinks we can get into the playoffs with the current team, despite the lousy play right now, he may well be willing to save his ammo for next year, and use the guys to replace the departing guys and have a good cheap team next year, and use the savings to buy some pitching.

If Elias doesn't spend some of his capital (talent or dollars or both) on improving a team that has been among the top teams in baseball all season, he either has a much more negative view of this team than mine, or (IMO) he's making a big mistake. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

It’s almost impossible to be that consistent back to back years. 

I said during the offseason this was probably going to turn out like 2012 and 2013.  The team will be better the second year but will end up with fewer wins since it won't be as "lucky".