On The Record: Who you'd have taken in the 2024 Draft

The MLB Draft is not the same as the NFL Draft because some teams try to strategize their available bonus pool, as opposed to the NFL Draft where it's far easier to just take the best guy in each round. So, it's not necessarily fair to compare your choices to those actually made.

With that said, I'd like us to go 'On The Record' and share who we'd have taken, at least with picks 22 & 32.  I'll start and we can laugh at these picks in a couple of years. :)

• 1st Round (22): RHP Brody Brecht, Iowa, 6'4-235
  • Comp Pick (32): RHP Bryce Cunningham, Vanderbilt, 6'5-230
  • 2nd Round (61): RHP Luke Holman, LSU, 6'4-201

• 1st Round (22): LHP Cam Caminiti
  • Comp Pick (32): RHP Ryan Sloan

I don't know enough about the guys that were available at 61, but I would have taken another pitcher.

Edited by Go_Os
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Would have taken Brecht at #22 and Tyson Lewis #32.   With hindsight, knowing Brecht was available at #32, would have taken Kellon Lindsey #22 and Brecht #32.    

I was 60/40 on Brecht and Lindsey at 22, so I get you.  I thought Cunningham was underrated a bit and chose him over another HS guy in Ryan Sloan.  The bonus pool was the factor there, as I didn't know where the O's were in that regard and Sloan was expected to ask a lot.  Holman was another close call over yet another HS guy in Dasan Hill.  Would have preferred Hill but knew Holman could arrive much quicker as a collegian and that turned out to be the theme for me.  That is not how I normally go about my own 'Who I'd Have Taken' each year, but the need feels great.

• 4 weeks later...

In 2023, I did the 'Who I would've taken' draft thing, as well:

ORIOLES GREG
17  CF ENRIQUE BRADFIELD JR CF ENRIQUE BRADFIELD JR
53  OF MAC HORVATH LHP ALEX CLEMMEY 
63  RHP JACKSON BAUMEISTER LHP CAMERON JOHNSON

In 2024 I did the same:

ORIOLES GREG
22  CF VANCE HONEYCUTT RHP BRODY BRECHT
32  SS GRIFF O'FERRALL RHP BRYCE CUNNINGHAM
61  C ETHAN ANDERSON RHP LUKE HOLMAN

After the first couple of rounds, it gets muddy in trying to access signing bonuses and draft pool strategies.  So, I usually stop after the first few picks.  Elias will likely have the better choices in the picks I've illustrated above, but I felt the need was great last year too.  HS arms are usually taboo for me, in the early part of the draft.  But even I break down and partake on occasion.  This past draft (2024) I really focused on pitching, despite that being something I don't normally do. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• There is no crying in baseball! Just surprised that 1/2 are fairly low as the “best teams”
    • Take things a little too serious sometimes maybe? Where on the doll did the word Karma touch you?
    • Just like Ripkin and Wieters, there grateness compels us to spel they're names wright,
    • Who would youplay at 3B other than Urias (remember Westy is IL) Please dont say Mayo because cant play Third. Slater And Mullins have been a pretty good platoon the last month Aaron Hicks? SSS of OPS of .524 with Nyy. Picked him up from NYY to play CF when Cedric was hurt. Did that and OPS .804 with Orioles and WAR of 1.6 with 65 games with the O's. And all of that for minimum wage. That Elias, what an idiot
    • Actualy there was an 8-13 stretch that contained TWO 5 game losing streaks early in this 50+ game everyone talks about, and we have consistently been a .500 or slightly above team since.    Now ".500 or slightly above" is not great, and we need to be better.   But eveyrone pointing at the "under .500 for 50+ games" over and over again, is deceptive.   We had a horrible stretch before the break where we were 8-13 with two 5 game losing streaks, which accounts for all of the "under-500-ness" of the entire 53 game period and then some. We are 17-15 since that stretch ended (16-15 since the All Star Break over a month ago) We haven't lost more than 2 games in a row since before the All Star Break, not one single time. We haven't been swept since early July during that 8-13 stretch. We have only lost ONE series in the month of August so far Note that I am not saying our recent stretch of .500-ish is good enough.  We are going to have to do better to win the division.  But anyone who is going out of their way to glom that 8-13 stretch from late June / early July onto any snapshot of the season to try to make a point about the team, is deliberaely going out of their way to paint a negative picture.   We have been a .500ish or slightly better team for over a month now, but all the glass half empty folks find a need to start counting in late June to be sure to include that really bad stretch so they can make their dramatic point about how bad we are.  They are cherry picking the worst possible stretch to try to make their sky is falling point when the really bad segment of that stretch is the farthest removed in time. It doesn't make sense that 53 games of 25-28 is somehow indicative of "who we are now" than 32 games of 17-15, not when the worst play was back in late June / early July.   Why, because it's a bigger sample size?   OK, let's go back 14 games further, where we are 35-32 our last 67.     No, we have to cherry pick the sample of games starting exactly after our record peaked on June 21, and measure everything from there, to paint he worst possible statisitcal picture, to support the fact that huge chunks of the sky are landing on our heads.  
    • A 5.64 ERA is still awful and did you just try and compare Irvin to Burnes? Burnes has a career ERA+ of 128.   Irvin's career ERA+ is 88.  The track record speaks for itself.  Besides, the stretch from Burnes you are referring to is 15 IP.  Irvin's was 44 IP.  That's nearly triple the amount.    
    • MODERATORS: Could one of you please correct the OP's misspelling of Zach Eflin's name? Let's not add insult to inflammation.
  • Popular Contributors