Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

13 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

Very reasonable.  That is where I am.

Yeah and you could probably sub Mayo for Basallo. But I think:

1) Holliday is in his on tier where none of the other top 4 can be packaged with him

2) Basallo and Kjerstad is rich and there's limited things I'd add (so just Norby + a low level guy here)

3) If there's no Kjerstad, you need to provide a lot. Povich/Norby/Bradfield I'd call "near top 100 prospects" and that's the value you need to offer.

It's going to be expensive. But Skubal + GrayRod for 2.5 years is super valuable. (Plus Burnes/Skubal/GrayRod for the playoffs is probably the best trio in baseball).

Bonus point: Skubal is a lefty. An elite lefty in OPACY would be hugely valuable. 

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Right, people here think he's a bust, there is no denying it, it's truly astonishing.

Who here is saying he’s a bust? Oh, just you ok. You trade him because it’s from a place of strength on your major league team already. Nice job jumping to conclusions. 

2 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

Yeah and you could probably sub Mayo for Basallo. But I think:

1) Holliday is in his on tier where none of the other top 4 can be packaged with him

2) Basallo and Kjerstad is rich and there's limited things I'd add (so just Norby + a low level guy here)

3) If there's no Kjerstad, you need to provide a lot. Povich/Norby/Bradfield I'd call "near top 100 prospects" and that's the value you need to offer.

It's going to be expensive. But Skubal + GrayRod for 2.5 years is super valuable. (Plus Burnes/Skubal/GrayRod for the playoffs is probably the best trio in baseball).

Bonus point: Skubal is a lefty. An elite lefty in OPACY would be hugely valuable. 

And they are not getting a better package from anyone else.  I really don't want to deal Holliday.   I prefer 2 or 3.  

2 minutes ago, Spakman said:

Who here is saying he’s a bust? Oh, just you ok. You trade him because it’s from a place of strength on your major league team already. Nice job jumping to conclusions. 

He is agreeing with what I was saying about  where a lot of fans had him in esteem now vs where they had him 3 months ago.  

3 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

And they are not getting a better package from anyone else.  I really don't want to deal Holliday.   I prefer 2 or 3.  

All of them make me uneasy. Lol. That probably means it somewhat close. I think #2 would be the hardest to swallow. There's probably 3 long-term starters heading out - and two top-30 prospects in the game. 

Holliday isn’t a bust. But he IS incredibly valuable. And you can’t get a great player without giving a great player. Add in that Holliday is a daily player and Skubal is 30 games a year and JH becomes even more valuable.

So it’s not suggesting he’s a bust to be willing to trade him. 
I think ME wants to trade guys that aren’t appealing enough, and refuses to trade the guys who are appealing enough.

3 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Holliday isn’t a bust. But he IS incredibly valuable. And you can’t get a great player without giving a great player. Add in that Holliday is a daily player and Skubal is 30 games a year and JH becomes even more valuable.

So it’s not suggesting he’s a bust to be willing to trade him. 
I think ME wants to trade guys that aren’t appealing enough, and refuses to trade the guys who are appealing enough.

The people that are saying that other people are thinking he is a bust are the people that think he’s a bust.  Using him to trade for a position of weakness on a team does not mean you think he’s a bust it means you think he’s extremely valuable, He has nowhere to play on his team. His value is at shortstop and we ain’t gonna need a shortstop for a long time. And if you’re talking about perceived value now by people.  He should’ve never been called up. He is way too young. Nobody comes up that young.

I’m very conflicted on this one to be honest.  I would obviously love to add Skubal but the injury history is a little worrisome.  Do you give up one of these guys to get him?  

It’s so tough and while I don’t want to trade any of them, you can make a case to trade any of them to varying degrees.

If I knew for sure I was going to have a healthy Skubal for the next 3 offseasons, I would trade any of the big 3 for him. With that being so uncertain, I think I’d rather take my chances with crochet, who I think we could get for less than Skubal will cost.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m very conflicted on this one to be honest.  I would obviously love to add Skubal but the injury history is a little worrisome.  Do you give up one of these guys to get him?  

It’s so tough and while I don’t want to trade any of them, you can make a case to trade any of them to varying degrees.

If I knew for sure I was going to have a healthy Skubal for the next 3 offseasons, I would trade any of the big 3 for him. With that being so uncertain, I think I’d rather take my chances with crochet, who I think we could get for less than Skubal will cost.

I agree it’s obviously a really tough decision. And I’m glad I don’t have to make it.😂

26 minutes ago, Spakman said:

The Os currently have 6 IFers…2 of them are keepers and 4 of them are role players.  What ML strength are you talking about?

51 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

Most I'd offer:

A) Holliday, Povich, Norby, Beavers

B) Basallo, Kjerstad, Norby, lower level pitcher

C) Basallo, Povich, Norby, Bradfield, Fabian

46 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

Very reasonable.  That is where I am.

Honestly I think all of those are massive overpays. I don’t mind giving up Holliday for him but I wouldn’t include much of anything else with him. 

Skubal is great..but he’s yet to throw 150 innings in any season. 

We are treating him like an ace that has had multiple seasons of dominance.  That just isn’t the case with him.

Not trying to diminish his talent but for me he has to show it more to warrant some of the packages people are throwing around.