McDermott to start Wednesday?

Tony-OH

Very interesting they’re doing it now when they could keep Burnes and Grayson on normal rest. Wednesday would also line him up to start one leg of the Monday double header, but they could have just had him debut as the extra man for that. So does having McDermott debut now mean they might view him as a more permanent rotation member? They don’t need to be calling him up yet.

Are they able to do something funky roster-wise with the double header rules where they can call him up Wednesday, option him after and then he’s still eligible to be the extra man for the double header (despite just being optioned)?

Very curious how this will play out. McDermott has been either great or horrible recently in AAA with no in between. 

1 minute ago, vab said:

Everybody will say showcase but do teams really put any real stock in a kid pitching one game in the majors? 

If any other teams send a scout to the game to see McDermott, then yes.

Bottom line is that it's always preferable for scouts/front office to see a potential trade piece face big leaguers instead of minor leaguers. Even if a 1 game sample doesn't mean much compared to a body of work in the minors. It's simply full due diligence.

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Chayce McDermott was placed on the Orioles taxi squad and the Orioles have Wednesday's starter down as TBA. I imagine this is a good indication he'll start Wednesday. It probably also means Povich could be available in relief today.

Povich is penciled in as Norfolk’s starter tonight.

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Chayce McDermott was placed on the Orioles taxi squad and the Orioles have Wednesday's starter down as TBA. I imagine this is a good indication he'll start Wednesday. It probably also means Povich could be available in relief today.

I thought Povich is down until 7/28. 

Any thoughts of Povich in the pen is foolish IMO. The first two innings of most (all?) games he has started usually run close to 50 pitches. He tends to settle down, but not a reliever.

• Upvote 1

So I guess McDermott is being considered instead of Povich? And if that is true, then Povich wasn’t adequate even as a fifth starter? 
If so, then this is why I don’t think Hancock would be a helpful pickup, nor Montas.

If we get a rotation pitcher, it has to be someone better than our current number three, because otherwise we are just making a more or less lateral move. Raising the floor is important, but a better 5th guy isn’t meaningful. A better THIRD guy is definitely meaningful.