Jackson Holliday playing SS tonight

Pat Kelly

Not sure if JH is an everyday ML SS but ability to play there occasionally and allow GH to rest or DH will only add to his value.  Likely JH is a better defensive SS/2B than Westburg. 

Edited by Pat Kelly

5 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

Not sure if JH is an everyday ML SS but ability to play there occasionally and allow GH to rest or DH will only add to his value.  Likely JH is a better defensive SS/2B than Westburg. 

Unfortunately, committing two errors in his return to the position suggests that he may not be quite ready to step in behind Gunnar at the ML level at the moment.

• Haha 2

FanGraphs released their updated rankings and dropped him from a 70FV to 65FV with his defense notably falling to 45FV…for 2B. A 65FV is nothing to snooze at but national publications are beginning to write more about the defensive limitations that have been posted here for a while. He’s only 20 and will hopefully improve with maturity but he’s not a major league SS. Improving enough to be a serviceable fill-in would be a big step.

Perhaps another team wanted to see him play SS and that’s the reason for him being there tonight. I hope those two E’s were worth the price of admission. LOL

Stick him in center and get it over with already. 

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

He's started 10 games at SS and played 14 there. Maybe Vavra was dinged up, they had him DH tonight.

Matón can play SS but he was at 2B or 3B.  They have been easing Holliday back in to 2B with every other game at DH.  Seems odd/interesting that they’d expose him to the more demanding throws from SS as they’re being careful with him.  I had the same thought.  Maybe someone wanted to see him make the more difficult throws, either to gauge how healthy is arm is or just to get a last look at him as a SS.  Probably nothing but you never know.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Matón can play SS but he was at 2B or 3B.  They have been easing Holliday back in to 2B with every other game at DH.  Seems odd/interesting that they’d expose him to the more demanding throws from SS as they’re being careful with him.  I had the same thought.  Maybe someone wanted to see him make the more difficult throws, either to gauge how healthy is arm is or just to get a last look at him as a SS.  Probably nothing but you never know.

This crossed my mind too. Maybe they wanted more stress on the arm to make sure he's good to go before he comes up. Like you said, you never know.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

This crossed my mind too. Maybe they wanted more stress on the arm to make sure he's good to go before he comes up. Like you said, you never know.

I suspect he feels fine physically and they have been cautious with him.  

18 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I initially thought the thread title was mocking Holliday with the “@SS” not realizing it meant @ SS, but it’s good to see Holliday playing again at shortstop. 

Me too...Lol

• Pat Kelly changed the title to Jackson Holliday playing SS tonight

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The fumble was on Rosengarten.  He let Chris Jones to the outside when Faalele was supposed to be helping him to the inside.  Really awful play by Rosengarten.
    • Did you think he was hurting the team at shortstop in the first half?
    • I was trying to figure out who Jackson looks like then it hit me - the vkeyboardist for Nena  
    • Except Hyde has done EXACTLY just that - he plays waiver wire nobodies like Rivera and Maton over Coby Mayo. And a trash trade acquisition in Jimenez (who should be on waivers) over Mayo at the DH spot as well. And Hyde played a former waiver wire pickup in O'Hearn over Kjerstad. As if O'Hearn is some sort of established star.  O'Hearn has a .658 OPS over the past 30 days, and a .729 OPS in the 2nd half this season after a .756 in the 2nd half in 2023 - so he's had two straight seasons of significant 2nd half declines. O'Hearn doesn't deserve to be treated as some sort of established commodity, but Hyde does so to the team's detriment. Not playing and developing a top 10 hitting prospect in all of baseball in Mayo is irresponsible and egregiously terrible roster management by Elias and Hyde. Especially considering awful players like Rivera and Jimenez are getting playing time over him.  
    • Again, it couldn’t have been said better.   Gunnar is in his second year and will more than likely get better at everything he does as a baseball player.  Which is something to look forward to.  
    • One good Bud Norris year out of Rogers would be nice.  Two would be amazing.
    • Except he really isn't hurting the team at SS.  Again, he's an 8+ WAR player this year.  I don't know why anyone would want to argue for moving him off a position where he's performing at an MVP level.  This season is already as valuable as Ripken's '83 MVP season and more valuable than any other season Ripken had except 1984 and his monster 1991 campaign. I saw Cal play at shortstop, too.  And I think when we all think of Cal at shortstop, we think of the refined version....the guy that made 3 errors in a season (and somehow lost the Gold Glove to Ozzie f'ing Guillen) and the guy that had a whole chapter dedicated to him in George Will's "Men at Work." You neglected to respond to the idea that Gunnar can get better at the position.  There's a lot to like with him defensively already, but he's not a fully finished product and I don't think anyone here is arguing that he is.  I suspect that if you took Cal in his second season and matched that up with Gunnar, you'd see some similarities.  I also suspect that Gunnar isn't the defender that he'll be in 5 or 6 years from now, just like Ripken wasn't the best defender at SS in his early seasons. Gunnar is a 5 tool player.  There's nothing that he can't do on a baseball field and I'm sure if you put him in a "traditional power position" like a corner outfield spot, he'd be just fine. But I find it funny that you want to be called old fashioned, yet here we are discussing Cal Ripken, the guy that broke the mold for what a shortstop can be and turned it into a power position.  Ripken was ultimate anti-traditionalist of the position and responsible for the slew of power hitting shortstops that came in after him.  And quite frankly, I don't know why we're talking about power when we're debating defense.
  • Popular Contributors