Do the Os have a SS problem?

Pat Kelly

Gunnar is a great athlete but lacks a bit of the fundamental approach you saw with a Hardy, Ripken, or even Mateo to a degree. However, Gunnar will make plays that Hardy, Ripken, and even Mateo could never make; the trade off for those types of plays can also be the reckless style you see with Gunnar at times. I feel athletes like him are best fit at CF or 3B; reactionary and quick reflexes to make the tough plays that even the most fundamentally sound SS couldn't dream of making.

Adam Jones was a SS that moved to CF, that's been a route for many in the past.

On 7/30/2024 at 12:33 AM, sevastras said:

Gunnar isn’t half the defender that Jeter was in his off years. 😆

That twitch that Jeter had at the plate kept his reflexes as sharp as a paisley dress shirt. It carried over to his defense 😆

Gunnar will be fine

Edited by Chuck Toedan
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Gunnar is a great athlete but lacks a bit of the fundamental approach you saw with a Hardy, Ripken, or even Mateo to a degree. However, Gunnar will make plays that Hardy, Ripken, and even Mateo could never make; the trade off for those types of plays can also be the reckless style you see with Gunnar at times. I feel athletes like him are best fit at CF or 3B; reactionary and quick reflexes to make the tough plays that even the most fundamentally sound SS couldn't dream of making.

Adam Jones was a SS that moved to CF, that's been a route for many in the past.

Man, I’m already tired of hearing that Gunnar would make plays that the other guys wouldn’t get to. Hardy was a good defensive SS and Cal was a master at positioning and rarely made errors on balls he touched. The fact that Gunnar “gets to more balls” doesn’t excuse throwing errors on routine plays. It just doesn’t ! That said I expect he will come out of this … I’m really hoping it’s soon.

Edited by Roll Tide

Another Gunnar error caused by him trying to do a glove only scoop and throw on the run

on a ball that fundamentally should have been gotten in front of, fielded with glove and hands in front and between legs leg plant and strong throw.

Unless Gunnar changes his approach his days as a ML SS will be numbered. 

As he ages and loses athleticism it will be more and more difficult to field with his lack of fundamentals

• Upvote 1

It’s interesting because there were no issues with his fundamentals before this slump. It just seemed to work for him. I hope he can get back to the guy before this slump, even if he isn’t the most methodical with it.

This is a concern at the moment though for sure. He’s lost out there and can’t quite trust himself at the moment it seems. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

4 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Another Gunnar error caused by him trying to do a glove only scoop and throw on the run

on a ball that fundamentally should have been gotten in front of, fielded with glove and hands in front and between legs leg plant and strong throw.

Unless Gunnar changes his approach his days as a ML SS will be numbered. 

As he ages and loses athleticism it will be more and more difficult to field with his lack of fundamentals

I don't buy this because it seems half his errors have been made in the last 2 weeks.  Suddenly he has lost his athleticism?  His fundamentals are suddenly worse?  I get it, he should probably chill on the running throws on the catcher w/ the 10% sprint speed, but I don't think he's become a different SS in the last 2 weeks. 

The only problem the Orioles have at SS is that they don't have two Gunnar Henderson's because he is not a twin and if he is, his Mother made a mistake by not naming both kids Gunnar. My favorite Orioles players since Cal Ripken