Roch: Tex speaks

Frobby

Wait until he goes into a 2-for-22 slump during a Yankees' homestand and see where the fairweather fans lie. Ask Jason Giambi what it's like for the new, high-dollar Yankee when he can't hit in his home park for any length of time.

Man...between Mt. St. Joe's and Georgia Tech, you'd think the guy would be bright enough to keep his mouth shut. What's the old saying? "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Good point... I wonder if Yanks fans have taken to heart that he's a slow starter.

If they had owned Teixeira on their fantasy teams the last 3 years (as I did) they wouldn't have to be convinced.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am REAL curious to see how the Yankee fans treat him if he gets off to one of his notorious slow starts. However, like someone else already said, the whole soap opera has gotten stale and I am particularly glad that the O's didn't sign him. Watching the game yesterday, I am more pumped up about the prospects of the Roberts-Jones-Markakis 1-2-3 punch, and watching that trio abuse opposing pitchers. Watching this team grow and mature and improve is going to be fun to watch. At least for me.

I read the posts in that thread. After doing so, I thought to myself, "Didn't the Yankees adamantly boo their own players i.e., A-rod?" I just don't get it.

Yeah, but that's because they expect greatness, so it gives them the right to boo their own players yet maintain their self-declared "class" while they boo.

This topic has probably been brought up before...but I've never read a thread about it.

I was watching Mike + Mike discuss the Texiara booing and Greenie said that if any of the fans in OPACY took a second to think about it they all would have done what Texiara did in taking the Yankees money.

Well I was a fan at Camden Yards yesterday booing Texiara and I have taken many a second to think about it. While I can't say this for sure because I have never been given an offer of 140 million or 180 million, but I think that if I was a play of Tex's caliber and had the oppurtunity to go and play for the O's for 140 million, and be possibly the next Cal Ripken or the Yankees for 180 I am pretty sure I would have gone with the O's.

I am wondering if I am in the majority on this or is it really like Greenie said and I am just a naive loony?

This topic has probably been brought up before...but I've never read a thread about it.

I was watching Mike + Mike discuss the Texiara booing and Greenie said that if any of the fans in OPACY took a second to think about it they all would have done what Texiara did in taking the Yankees money.

Well I was a fan at Camden Yards yesterday booing Texiara and I have taken many a second to think about it. While I can't say this for sure because I have never been given an offer of 140 million or 180 million, but I think that if I was a play of Tex's caliber and had the oppurtunity to go and play for the O's for 140 million, and be possibly the next Cal Ripken or the Yankees for 180 I am pretty sure I would have gone with the O's.

I am wondering if I am in the majority on this or is it really like Greenie said and I am just a naive loony?

If you choose the Orioles you are a hero to the fans and have a little less money, better be careful it's easy to blow through 150 mill. :rolleyes:

If you choose the Yanks, you have more money, more fans will like you, but you would have to expect the O's fans to boo you. He chose the latter and he probably doesn't care. There are Yankee fans in every stadium that will cheer him. This is, and should be, a big deal to us O's fans to hear the boos, but I really don't know why the media is freaking out.

The media is full of morons...None of them actually do a damn bit of research.

Most people are pissed at Tex because he has talked out of both sides of his butt...In one article, he discusses how it would be a dream come true to play in Baltimore...In another, he says the same about the Yanks.

In one interview he states that playing for Baltimore is a life long dream...That he grew up an O's fan, etc...

In another, he says the same thing about the Yanks.

Baltimore fans get behind hometown guys as much as any city, if not moreso.

So, when there "native son" says all that stuff about playing with the Orioles and then turns around and says the stuff about playing for the hated Yankees and, on top of that, actually signs with them, people are going to be pissed.

Personally, I have no issue with his decision...He did what was best for him...Got paid a lot more money...went to a winning franchise.

My issue is that he is now acting as if he has some great loyalty to the Yankees.

It is obvious why he says it(the media and trying to get on everyones good side) but the bottom line is he is saying it and that is pissing people off.

Had he signed with Kansas City and said all of these things, no one would care as much.

The idea that he signed for a team that everyone hates just makes it that much worse.

What's really funny is I think Tex is saying all this stuff to try to convince himself he made the right choice. Money isn't everything, and I think Tex wonders deep down if he probably made the biggest mistake of his career. The fact his dad never wore his Yankee hat until Opening Day and it didn't seem right to him makes me think there was a bit of a conflict in the Teixeira household...

$180 million can remove some doubt, but it can't remove all doubt...

"Anybody in my situation would have done the same thing (picked the Yanks over the O's)," Teixeira said. "It wasn't a crazy decision."

Really, the guy should just put a cork in it. He's incapable of saying the right thing. He reminds me of A-Rod who does much the same thing. He thinks he's got the words right but is fairly clueless about how those words are perceived.

You are not naive. I would have taken 150 million over 180 million to play for the team I grew up rooting for. Absolutely, no question. I was there and I was booing, and I definitely won't apologize for it. The fact that he keeps bringing up his childhood loyalties and associations with Baltimore makes it even worse.

I do wish, however, that Orioles had matched the 180 million offer to make Tex make a decision with money being equal from both sides.

You are not naive. I would have taken 150 million over 180 million to play for the team I grew up rooting for. Absolutely, no question. I was there and I was booing, and I definitely won't apologize for it. The fact that he keeps bringing up his childhood loyalties and associations with Baltimore makes it even worse.

I do wish, however, that Orioles had matched the 180 million offer to make Tex make a decision with money being equal from both sides.

What do you think MacPhail and Angelos would of done if T-bag had gone to them and said I got this 180,000,000 offer but you know I really would love to be an Oriole. You give me 180 and I'm yours. Leaking such a moment would of put enormous pressure on. He would of gotten it from us also. He just wasnt willing to then say. I wont accept a greater offer if NY bumps it some. He is a greedy jerk.

Personally, I do not blame Tex for taking the money, nor do I blame MacPhail for refusing to match it. Both men did what they had to do, and that's fine.

I just wish Tex would have the stones to come out and say: "I picked the Yankees because of money, and because I think they have a better chance of winning."

Might not be my choice, but I could at least respect an honest answer. I do not respect his constant double-talk.

Plus, he's a Yankee. He gets boos strictly based on that. But yeah, it does strike a deeper level because of the context. I don't think he "owed us;" I just think he's a liar and a coward.

Archived