I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I agree with this, but Roy's not doing him any favors on the board with these types of posts.

I’d tell him to show up early every day and take ground balls. Not saying he’s not doing that.

1 minute ago, theobird said:

I agree whole heartedly, except I will be surprised if Westburg is able to return. I love that kid, but I’m afraid we have seen the last of him in 2024. 

I question his training. IF he were in the shape he should be in that hand would not be fractured! 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

The reports on Mayo’s defense have not been positive at all. Can’t it just be that simple?  He’s not good enough yet?  And if he’s sitting in AAA at 22, years younger than the average AAA player, after watching guys like Norby, Stowers, Ortiz, Cowser et al bide their time like professionals (I think), and bitching about his position, then he isn’t the person we all think he is. By all accounts this is a kid who’s got his head straight on his shoulders. It would be pretty disappointing to me if he’s disgruntled at this point, given he has clear skills to work on, and clear examples that patience and hard work will pay off for him. He’s a better person, IMO, than Roy is giving him credit for.  

If it’s a performance thing, that’s fine. My issue is if they keep him down because of the rookie stuff..that’s absurd.

I just don’t buy it’s performance based off of him almost coming up a few months ago and what Elias has said 

I would love to see Mayo get called up right now. Having said that , is a few weeks delay really that big of issue ?  Keep in mind , even when he finally arrives here , there will be other challenges that he would have to deal and overcome with . 

13 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I said I would be resentful if it were me. I also said he's been a "good soldier"while everyone around him was called up. I have no information on how HE feels.I know how I would feel. 

Thanks for clarifying this Roy.  

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If it’s a performance thing, that’s fine. My issue is if they keep him down because of the rookie stuff..that’s absurd.

I just don’t buy it’s performance based off of him almost coming up a few months ago and what Elias has said 

I don't know if it's so much his performance (though certainly part of it) as it is how the team is constructed now.

Earlier in the year, the defense was solid, you had Mateo as insurance, Holliday didn't work out, Hays was injured, it made more sense. Now we have Jimenez, we have Gunnar's issues, Mateo is gone, the defense has been really rough, and it's completely understandable to want to settle down the defensive picture with Urias and Soto, and give Holliday his shot. 

There's just a lot going on. Players have to be added today, there's going to be a bunch of roster moves. 

I think the O's want to get through this road trip and then see where they're at. Mayo could be up at the next homestand for all we know. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

Very little posts in 13+ pages about the elephant in the room.

We have a 4-alarm fire at SS right now, and Holliday isn't ready to play there. Gunnar might have to temporarily be a 3B this year. We absolutely need a real SS on the roster.

Hopefully this all becomes a moot point, but SS is a real emergency right now.

• Upvote 1

Mayo's bat is probably MLB ready, but reading through MILB game recaps, it looks like his glove still needs refinement.

Also, is everybody prepared to allow for rookie struggles on a team in a late season pennant race?  Each of the rookies struggled for a couple months ( Adley, Gunnar, Cower, Westburg). Holliday really struggled his 1st call up. Do the Os have time this season to allow Mayo to adjust to the Major Leagues only being up.5 game on the Yankees?

13 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I said I would be resentful if it were me. I also said he's been a "good soldier"while everyone around him was called up. I have no information on how HE feels.I know how I would feel. 

Thank you for clarifying that. I've never heard a bad word ever about Coby's makeup. He would not be human if isn't disappointed to not be in the major leagues, but he's still grinding. I'm sure he's doing whatever he can to be better at both 3B and 1B. 

I still get the feeling he's getting the Gunnar treatment, just a year later than Gunnar did.

My guess he's promoted on Aug 30th or 31st and he ends up getting less than 130 ABs.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

We have a 4-alarm fire at SS right now, and Holliday isn't ready to play there. Gunnar might have to temporarily be a 3B this year. We absolutely need a real SS on the roster.

Gunnar has the yips a bit at SS, but it's way too early to call for his replacement at SS. It's basically a defensive slump and he'll pull out of it.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Gunnar has the yips a bit at SS, but it's way too early to call for his replacement at SS. It's basically a defensive slump and he'll pull out of it.

I don't know if he's calling for his replacement so much as a capable/experienced backup SS on the roster. Soto is that guy, hopefully. I'm sure Hyde would love to give Gunnar a DH day here or there and see if he can unlock his home run power again, and he needs a real shortstop to do that. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Henderson is a SS.  One of the most talented 2-way SS in baseball.   He’s tough mentally.  He hasn’t been tentative at all.  He’ll get through it.

Maybe, just maybe there are big questions about Coby Mayo and his ability to play 3B?

If you want to call him up to play 1B...over who? Mountcastle and his near 800 OPS and plus defense? O'Hearn with his near 800 OPS against righties? 

OK, so say he doesn't play 1B. Do you bring him up just to DH? DH opportunities are few and far between. They've been used by Santander, Kjerstad, Adley. 

So, you want to call him up to not have many opportunities. It really doesn't make sense. Now, if he could actually play 3B well? That's a different story. Call him up yesterday. But that's not the case.

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Henderson is a SS.  One of the most talented 2-way SS in baseball.   He’s tough mentally.  He hasn’t been tentative at all.  He’ll get through it.

I feel like everyone is not reading his post right. He's saying we need a SS on the roster to replace Mateo. Not to replace Henderson.

• Upvote 1

SIGBOT's watched him every day over 4 years now - I don't believe anything in the next few weeks will change its overall assessment.

It is just a question of do you accept the Offense-Defense tradeoff vs. Urias.

I do believe it means something for a player to have 2 months not 1 acclimating to MLB game speed, though Evan Carter didn't seem to be bothered much a year ago.    Is Coby Mayo Evan Carter good?