Wanted to share the piece I produced on Coby Mayo from a few years ago.

If Mayo does anything at all early (or really at any point) in this call up, I suspect national writers will pick up on this angle of his story, as well they should.  Looking forward to seeing this giant of a kid play tonight and into the future.  Go out there and mash Coby!!!

I met him at Spring Training in Sarasota this year as well as his parents.  He was the last player on the player on the field after the game and was very kind to a group of young kids waiting for him by the dugout.  The last autograph he signed that day was the back of the spring training shirt my 15 month old daughter was wearing at her first game.  The first time he tried to sign it she squirmed and he jumped back and said "oh wow she moved".  I held her tighter and he signed the shirt.  It is hanging in her closet for safe keeping.  I thanked his parent who were standing up the aisle as we left and they all seemed thrilled with his four hit day.  I wish this kid nothing by the best today and for his career.

25 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I had never met Coby before I did that story. But I became convinced that this young man has a great destiny in baseball. I certainly hope so. Its a great story.

Great work, my friend., ...Hey Roy, seeing how persuasive you are, I was wondering if I gave you my boss' number could you call him and get me a raise? Like seriously, you got Mayo up here!

Great piece Roy.  So good to see the Orioles drafting and developing so many great kids.   I wonder if Coby will use this first-hand experience with such a horrific tragedy to help others; talk at local schools, etc... I can certainly understand if he never wants to revisit it again.   

Also, you are looking good as well.   Good to see.  

Thanks for posting that interview, Roy.  I had never seen it.  As a Middle School Tech teacher, it's horrifying this has become for students the world we live in.  I hope all the best for Coby.  It's a chilling life experience to have, but seeing someone thrive after such a thing becomes a powerful lesson to others.

On a lighter note, I saw a picture of you in your feed, at what looks to be you at 14 years old, conducting an interview with Howard Cosel that I clicked and enjoyed too.  As a kid, I hated him for his unabashed love of the Yankees, but I in my early teens I saw a humorous side of him in an interview - maybe with Johnny Carson? - that completely changed my opinion of him.  I could listen to that voice all day talking about sports. ;)

16 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

Thanks for posting that interview, Roy.  I had never seen it.  As a Middle School Tech teacher, it's horrifying this has become for students the world we live in.  I hope all the best for Coby.  It's a chilling life experience to have, but seeing someone thrive after such a thing becomes a powerful lesson to others.

On a lighter note, I saw a picture of you in your feed, at what looks to be you at 14 years old, conducting an interview with Howard Cosel that I clicked and enjoyed too.  As a kid, I hated him for his unabashed love of the Yankees, but I in my early teens I saw a humorous side of him in an interview - maybe with Johnny Carson? - that completely changed my opinion of him.  I could listen to that voice all day talking about sports. ;)

Oh, do I have STORIES about Howard. Maybe some day I'll post them here. 

• Like 1