Yanks Release JD Davis, Any Interest? (Update: O's sign him)

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

We could theoretically cut Slater or Jimenez for him.

The latter is unlikely IMO, but maybe on the former.

No way on Slater - they want the OF help.  Unlikely but yeah possible on Jimenez.  I'd be pretty surprised if they gave up on him already though, especially for someone as marginal as Davis.

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

No way on Slater - they want the OF help.  Unlikely but yeah possible on Jimenez.  I'd be pretty surprised if they gave up on him already though, especially for someone as marginal as Davis.

He's marginal, but he is arguably a better fit since the IF is in pretty rough shape if Mayo and/or Holliday struggle.

I would not sign him btw, but I think it would be a perfectly defensible move after the Westburg and Mateo injuries and Norby trade thinned out the IF depth so badly.

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He's marginal, but he is arguably a better fit since the IF is in pretty rough shape if Mayo and/or Holliday struggle.

I would not sign him btw, but I think it would be a perfectly defensible move after the Westburg and Mateo injuries and Norby trade thinned out the IF depth so badly.

Agreed.

19 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Absolutely not. 

Any particular reason why? He's arguably a better roster fit for us than Jimenez and Slater after the decimation of our IF depth.

19 hours ago, Say O! said:

No on JD Davis. 

As far as other recent DFAs, I think a guy like Derek Hill is potentially more interesting than Slater.  Hill scores better against LHPs, sprint speed, defense.

He does not play IF, which I think is a greater area of concern than the OF presently.

The Orioles have very little depth in the infield after trading Norby and the Westburg/Mateo injuries. The problem is that Davis isn't very good in the field (although he is likely better than Mayo). I trust Urias to be a better fielder and Mayo to have the better bat, so I dont know if there's a place for him. I'd be all for it if he would accept an assignment to the minors, but I'm doubtful on that.