16-20 over last 36 games

Tony-OH

When it rains it pours. I’ll always remember the 2018 Washington Capitals as about the 8th best regular season team of the Ovechkin era. Arizona and Texas both were 90 win teams last year. There will be growing pains with this team but hopefully will pay off in the end.

7 hours ago, casadeozo said:

Really well articulated. I’m sure every fan watching these games is feeling the same.

Tony what sort of changes would you make? For the hitting getting rid of a player like Mountcastle is priority 1. His impatient approach I feel has made normally patient hitters like Adley be more homer happy.

I could also see us not resign Santander with his homer prone swing. 

that said there really just needs to be more balance to this lineup. Seeing hitters like Kwan and Ramirez really make you appreciate pure hitters.

We have to hope that Holliday is one of those "pure hitters" that will take pitches and work counts and have good at bats because both Adley, Gunnar (to a lesser extent) and Cowser have given up that approach for the thirst for power.

Mountcastle has always been an undisciplined streak hitter and that's not going to change.

It's clear to me that the Orioles hitting philosophy has changed at the major league level at the very least. They've gone back to the Duquette era low OBP, power guy approach even with hitters who should have been taught better about swing decisions.

I think we've also seen the issue with having data driven coaching vs experience level coaching in the minor leagues and at the major league level. The poor fundamentals and approaches are product of what players are being told. I have zero issues with adding the analytics and technology into players developments, but having guys that have been there and done that are also important. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

From June 6 to September 8 last year, the Rangers went 36-44.

Hopefully our stretch of bad play won't last as long as theirs did.

The Rangers were obviously the example to the point I made about getting in and getting hot at the right time. They looked unquestionably pretty bad over a long stretch of time, but then got white hot when it mattered the most. 

We obviously can't forget this point, but it's painful to watch a team wallow over a long stretch of time for the first time since 2021 (without looking up 2022). 

I know I’m very negative and critical of this team and my outlook has changed a tiny bit with Efflin. However, I’m telling you guys, I’d say there is atleast a 50% chance we miss the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

Why is this poor stretch of games more indicative of our talent than the good stretch earlier?

You think that Gunnar has lost the ability to hit HRs forever?   You think that Adley really is a .160 hitter?

Why are we defined by our worst stretch (which is just 5 games under .500 for 37 games)?   Texas had a 36-44 stretch last year, basically a stretch like ours but twice as long.   But it didn't define them as a team.  

We aren't as good as we appeared to be when we played .650 ball for 74 games.   And we aren't as bad as we appear to be when we have played .450 ball for half that length of time.   

I don't know why every is assuming we played great for 74 games, and poorly for 37, and that somehow that proves the 37 game stretch is what we are.   Yet there seem to be an awful lot of people around here assuming it.

Probably because it's the LAST 37 games we've all seen. I agree with your points overall, and the Orioles do have talent. It's just hard to watch when you see them not just get beat, but look overmatched by another good team. They have way too many guys underperforming both offensively and defensively.

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Probably because it's the LAST 37 games we've all seen. I agree with your points overall, and the Orioles do have talent. It's just hard to watch when you see them not just get beat, but look overmatched by another good team. They have way too many guys underperforming both offensively and defensively.

Not ragging on Hyde but I think his leadership needs to come into effect here. I think working with the analytics department and hitting coach would be my first start. The plan against Carasco last night was embarrassing. The plan at the plate hasn’t been good for months. We are supposed to parade we hit Toronto with a Triple A pitching staff. How many times did the Orioles broadcast repeat 32 runs in 4 games and 44 hits.

It’s all about consistent starting pitching.  It all goes back to the starting rotation breaking down.    If we can get that we’ll be fine for the regular season.

I’m going to enjoy watching this lineup develop and cross my fingers on the pitching staff.    Right now, I don’t like our chances against anyone in a short series but a lot can change in 1-2 weeks or 1-2 months.

14 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Not ragging on Hyde but I think his leadership needs to come into effect here. I think working with the analytics department and hitting coach would be my first start. The plan against Carasco last night was embarrassing. The plan at the plate hasn’t been good for months. We are supposed to parade we hit Toronto with a Triple A pitching staff. How many times did the Orioles broadcast repeat 32 runs in 4 games and 44 hits.

Hyde has to show more fire when it comes to his young players getting terrible pitch calls. Holliday alone has been rung up on pitches way off the plate. He's got to get into the umpires ear or even get tossed to show his team he's willing to fight for them.

Sometimes you never know what will spark a team. All I know, its either that or get everyone in the shower and call them lollygaggers! :D

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hyde has to show more fire when it comes to his young players getting terrible pitch calls. Holliday alone has been rung up on pitches way off the plate. He's got to get into the umpires ear or even get tossed to show his team he's willing to fight for them.

Sometimes you never know what will spark a team. All I know, its either that or get everyone in the shower and call them lollygaggers! :D

Haha. All I know is I’m trying something new every series. 

We don't know what Hyde does or doesn't do behind the scenes but I do agree we need a little "Earl" (pardon the pun) on the open stage. These young guys are coming from an environment where a plate umpire can be challanged to one where challenges are very risky. Hyde should step in at times. However, if McCann's Message didn't fire up this team, I really don't know. Maybe this team just isn't as good as we all think? Cleveland ain't bad. 

We lost our #2, 4 and 5 starters to injury along with our best lefty reliever and Bautista last year.  The spare parts did a good job for a bit but fell apart in the dog days of summer.

You have to have great pitching to win 3-1 games where your offense is comprised of 3 solo homers.

The good news is that at the current pace, no MLB team is going to win 100 games.  The postseason will be interesting.

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Hey it could be worse. We could be the White Sox. They haven’t won a game since July 10th. 

We’ve already had several years in that rat hole. There really is no excuse where we should end up in that end of the pool