Orioles acquire Gregory Soto

eddie83

I think it was a good pick up, certainly a gamble. He has swing and miss stuff. He is flawed, sure. Most hard throwers are. It is an opportunity to see if we can tweak something here or there and get late inning outs in meaningful games. He has experience closing and playoff experience.

if they can get him to be effective, he makes the pen better. It’s a gamble, but there wasn’t much out there that was better. Unless you want to part with Mayo or Basallo. 

11 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I think it was a good pick up, certainly a gamble. He has swing and miss stuff. He is flawed, sure. Most hard throwers are. It is an opportunity to see if we can tweak something here or there and get late inning outs in meaningful games. He has experience closing and playoff experience.

if they can get him to be effective, he makes the pen better. It’s a gamble, but there wasn’t much out there that was better. Unless you want to part with Mayo or Basallo. 

Gambles aren't what Elias should have been trading for at the deadline when one of the team's biggest needs was to upgrade the bullpen around an unreliable closer.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Gambles aren't what Elias should have been trading for at the deadline when one of the team's biggest needs was to upgrade the bullpen around an unreliable closer.

Ok, so what else was there? Tanner Scott, who is better, but not reliable really. And they wanted a fortune for him.

Ultimately, is Soto better than Akin or Vespi? I think it’s an improvement. The only question for me is will he be better than Cionel in high leverage situations? He has a decent track record, with some ups and downs. It may take some time to help him adjust a thing or two. It doesn’t happen in a day. Perhaps it’s a mental adjustment. IDK.

I’m not saying Elias isn’t flawed in his trades. Personally, I’m going to wait and see how it turns out in October. We don’t know why he did what he did. Soto had a terrible outing last night. Sure. I am going to give it some time to see how it goes. I am not going to trash the deal based on his first appearance. That seems extremely short-sighted. 

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Ok, so what else was there? Tanner Scott, who is better, but not reliable really. And they wanted a fortune for him.

Ultimately, is Soto better than Akin or Vespi? I think it’s an improvement. The only question for me is will he be better than Cionel in high leverage situations? He has a decent track record, with some ups and downs. It may take some time to help him adjust a thing or two. It doesn’t happen in a day. Perhaps it’s a mental adjustment. IDK.

I’m not saying Elias isn’t flawed in his trades. Personally, I’m going to wait and see how it turns out in October. We don’t know why he did what he did. Soto had a terrible outing last night. Sure. I am going to give it some time to see how it goes. I am not going to trash the deal based on his first appearance. That seems extremely short-sighted. 

A fortune?

Going by some lists not a single top 100 prospect was traded at the deadline.

Scott couldn't have gone for that much.

45 minutes ago, interloper said:

Two SP prospects for him was tough but I was in favor of the deal. Hoping it was just a bump in the road. 

Nothing much else to do with this team except watch and hope for the best. 🤷‍♂️

For me, neither one is a SP down the road. Johnson is on his last option in 2025. He cannot get out of AA yet, and he missed a lot of time with TJ. He isn’t built up and will likely have to break in as a pen guy. The stuff has not been consistent at all.

Chace has the stuff, but likely a pen arm too. He’s rule 5 eligible this year as well. Maybe we would have lost him for nothing this Winter, maybe not.

They may be solid BP guys years down the road, but we needed the BP depth and some swing and miss stuff. Gotta give to get. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

For me, neither one is a SP down the road. Johnson is on his last option in 2025. He cannot get out of AA yet, and he missed a lot of time with TJ. He isn’t built up and will likely have to break in as a pen guy. The stuff has not been consistent at all.

Chace has the stuff, but likely a pen arm too. He’s rule 5 eligible this year as well. Maybe we would have lost him for nothing this Winter, maybe not.

They may be solid BP guys years down the road, but we needed the BP depth and some swing and miss stuff. Gotta give to get. 

I expect we would have lost Johnson, but Chase would have made it through the Rule 5 draft. He is the one we might miss.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

We are being buried by ex Phillies relievers

Perhaps when a WS contender is dumping RP you should hang up the phone.

Yeah no kidding. Lol. Elias moves for Rogers and Soto aren't winning any fans over that's for sure. What a brutal start for those 2. I know Rogers came from the Marlins but wanted to throw him in there too. 

Edited by Baseball fandom

7 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

https://fansided.com/posts/baltimore-orioles-mlb-trade-deadline-mistakes-mike-elias-regret

3 Baltimore Orioles MLB trade deadline mistakes Mike Elias will regret

The Orioles are going for it, but were their additions at the deadline enough to win it all?

Elias and sig have always seemed to be about trying to find undervalued assets they can try to take advantage of. Yes they  made moves for guys who weren’t in peak form or the elite options, but that is also probably why they didn’t give up a ton to get them (Rogers cost is including 2 years of control and other players were in a 40 man crunch). They like to go get guys with attributes they really like to try to get more out of them. I trust them to get to get more out of Dominguez, Soto and Roger’s than they had shown recently. Does it lock in a ws? No. But it would be hard to guarantee we be the favorites without giving up multiple of Jackson / Mayo / basallo…and that is something they weren’t interested in doing.