Colin Cowherd bashes O's fans for Tex boo's

isestrex

You're not looking "beyond the obvious", you're looking beyond the perfectly legitimate points of view that multiple people have tried to explain to you, and which you insist on blowing off as if they're ill-founded.

Nobody says you can't think what Tex did is fine and dandy if you want to. But I fail to understand why you're being so stubborn and insistent about rejecting everyone's point of view except your own. You seem to think that everybody should see things the way you do about a matter that is highly subjective. I can't imagine why you would think that.

Okay. I'm not interested in arguing in this tone.

Oh, I bet there would definitely be people talking about his character flaws -- Yankee fans.

Yes! I'm clearly just annoying people so I'll try to put this together one last time and then forget about it :P

Mark Teixeira used some specific negotiating tactics during the offseason that included negotiating with several teams in a way that was going to leave at least one team, probably two or three, feeling jilted at the end. This is proven because Boston and Baltimore fans are both annoyed by how things turned out.

If you grant that if Teixeira had chosen Baltimore, most of the people calling him out now would have praised him for making the right decision, I don't see how you can consider his tactics a sign of some personal flaw. He used the same tactics in this hypothetical, he just chose us over them.

So what I'm saying is: if you admit that Teixeira coming here would have wiped the slate clean for 99% of O's fans, isn't it hypocritical to pretend that choosing the Yankees makes him a bad person? That's what it comes down to. The only difference between Teixeira getting deeply involved with three teams and choosing the Yankees and Teixeira getting deeply involved with three teams and choosing the Orioles is which team he chose, and I simply cannot accept that choosing one sports team over another makes someone a bad person.

This whole thing is only in response to the people earlier in the thread who were trying to justify comments like these:

I agree with you. However... what Tex did to us reflects poor character as a person. If his family gets harrassed, I will understand it, not necessarily support it.
Well... I could be wrong... but when a parent endorses their child's wrong doing... aren't they also guilty? Kind of puts them between a rock and a hard spot.

Those quotes really irritate me. Either he's in it for the money, in which case he only got the Yankees involved because he thought he was worth more (which he apparently was), or he really wanted to be a Yankee, in which case his thoughts were as selfless (!) as if he'd really wanted to be an Oriole.

My only problem with this whole stupid Tex saga is the constant flood of opinions that show no empathy, no big picture view, and therefore no real attempt to understand the situation. If all you want is reasons to hate someone, or (more attractively) reasons to keep the rivalry going, then keep digging. But I think it's boring. It's really become a conspiracy theory, where you substitute an overload of evidence and a lot of bias for any kind of coherent, plausible working theory.

So let me say that I have no problem with booing, I have no problem with hating a team or a player. I have problems when people seem unwilling or unable to step back from the game to see the bigger picture, or to admit that things aren't always black and white. My example of blown calls earlier - sure, in a game, I don't expect anyone to stop cheering when your team scores on a bad call, but people (and I know plenty) who then continue to defend the ump's decision for weeks and months when it was clearly wrong just because it benefited them are incredibly annoying. Like a Yankees fan who tried to tell you what Jeffrey Maier did was okay.

One reference to pull it all together: "This is bush league. This is why good people hate us, this, right here, this thing."

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red Sox fans boo Yankee players, what's the big deal? It's called rivalry, Cowherd. However, regarding Tex it's a bit deeper. Think of it like this: Damon said he'd never join the Yankees, and he turned around and did. He received an equally as harsh reception in Boston as Tex received in Baltimore, and you know what? He deserved it. I will continue to boo Tex loud and hard for two primary reasons:

1. He's a two faced liar

2. He's a Yankee

That's all there is to it. For all those conservative pantywads on this forum and abroad that get offended by people booing and holding up the "I hate" signs..please, get a grip on reality. Noone is going to be out to hurt this man or his family. It's part of the game. I'd much rather there be passion than not at all.

Cowherd is a shock jock, no talent clown. Anita Marks has more talent in her pinky than he has in his entire body, and that doesn't say much at all. Talking about the Orioles as if it in 6 years they'll continue to be the same, throwing out insult after insult after insult is not only just petty, but hypocritical in that he's doing exactly the same thing he's *****ing about...only worse.

I think I'm going to fire up the ole blog just to pile on Cowherd. He'll never be a Gammons or anything reputable. He's just a joke.

Email the local affiliate and request they drop Cowherd's show. I did....that is the best way to get back at this jerk. He wants to dump on our city saying that we are hate filled??? And then in the same breath criticize us for our CRIME RATE??? So a "responsible" journalist is going to make fun of our city about a serious social issue???

DUMP COWHERD!! LET 105.7 KNOW HOW YOU FEEL.......We don't have to listen to this jerk. He was not there on opening day..he was 3500 miles away so why he thinks he knows what went on is beyond me...I was there and I saw a proud fan base simply having a good time with Tiexiera...and Tiexiera got it..he understands..why can't the DUMB ESPN MEDIA get it!!! Baltimore should get over it Cowherd? Maybe you, Kurkjian, Rosenthal, and the rest of em should get over it. The funniest part is, Rosenthal and Kurkjian GOT THIER STARTS HERE...They of all people should understand the passion. It was not hate...it was a crowd having some fun on opening day. GET OVER YOURSELVES ESPN!!!!

It explains why none of the teams you cite were offered the opportunity to bid higher.. it was a farce.
Offered the opportunity? The Nats did come in with a second bid and the Red Sox flew all of their top brass to Texas. No one, but the Orioles, stopped them from making a higher bid.

The facts are these, the Orioles offer was the fourth highest of four total offers on the table. The other three offers were reported again and again. Right up until the announcement, MacPhail's party line is "we're in it, until they tell us we're out of it." Therefore, IMO, any naivete about where the Orioles front office believed their offer stood relative to the others is flat out disingenuous.

If the Orioles made a more substantial offer, it's open to speculation as to whether or not Tex would have taken it. My sense is, it wouldn't have mattered - sorry O's fans. Therefore, the fans' reaction toward Tex was more than justified. Take that CowTerd, Rosenthal et.al.

I submit some resentment should be left for the front office, on the however slim chance, that if they were more aggressive (dare I say it, made their "wow offer"), it may have made a difference. I guess the spin is there, congratulations to Andy for not getting played for a sucker. Why then, didn't he man up and announce, realistically, we were out of it, before the Yankees sealed the deal?

So what I'm saying is: if you admit that Teixeira coming here would have wiped the slate clean for 99% of O's fans, isn't it hypocritical to pretend that choosing the Yankees makes him a bad person? That's what it comes down to. The only difference between Teixeira getting deeply involved with three teams and choosing the Yankees and Teixeira getting deeply involved with three teams and choosing the Orioles is which team he chose, and I simply cannot accept that choosing one sports team over another makes someone a bad person.

I think you're missing the biggest difference between Tex signing with any other team and signing with the Orioles, and that's the fact the most sports fans would say that the Baltimore Orioles are his hometown team.

Whether or not it would have been an intelligent move, many Orioles fans saw this as a chance for a premiere offense player to come back home and be a major part of the rebuilding effort. Comparisons to Cal are ridiculous for any number of reasons but I think there was an element of nostalgia for what he brought to the team, the city, and the fans, too.

So there's a sense of betrayal that is completely different from, say, Vlad deciding to sign with the Angels. It sounds to me like you think the two are the same -- "I simply cannot accept that choosing one sports team over another makes someone a bad person" -- and they're just not the same.

Now, you also have to admit that Tex signing with any other team other than the Yankees and Red Sox would also have been different. If he'd signed with Pittsburgh, many of us would probably feel sympathy for the guy. But to go to a division rival, one that outspends us and out-performs us on so many levels, added insult to injury. It's not just a case of the rich getting richer, it's the rich getting richer because a guy we thought was one of us decided to go help them beat up on us some more.

Personally, I don't blame him, and in hindsight I think giving that much cash to one player wouldn't be a prudent move for us right now. But I also think that he missed out on a chance that not many athletes are given -- a shot to come back home and be seen as a hero, and perhaps even restore some of the former glory to a team that was once seen as elite.

Oh well, we certainly are whaling away on this deceased equine. I think I'll grab a cold beer and try to forget about this whole non-issue! ;)

Red Sox fans boo Yankee players, what's the big deal? It's called rivalry, Cowherd. However, regarding Tex it's a bit deeper. Think of it like this: Damon said he'd never join the Yankees, and he turned around and did. He received an equally as harsh reception in Boston as Tex received in Baltimore, and you know what? He deserved it. I will continue to boo Tex loud and hard for two primary reasons:

1. He's a two faced liar

2. He's a Yankee

That's all there is to it. For all those conservative pantywads on this forum and abroad that get offended by people booing and holding up the "I hate" signs..please, get a grip on reality. Noone is going to be out to hurt this man or his family. It's part of the game. I'd much rather there be passion than not at all.

Cowherd is a shock jock, no talent clown. Anita Marks has more talent in her pinky than he has in his entire body, and that doesn't say much at all. Talking about the Orioles as if it in 6 years they'll continue to be the same, throwing out insult after insult after insult is not only just petty, but hypocritical in that he's doing exactly the same thing he's *****ing about...only worse.

I think I'm going to fire up the ole blog just to pile on Cowherd. He'll never be a Gammons or anything reputable. He's just a joke.

Absurd. Last i checked Cowherd seems to be doing quite well on ESPN with his little talk show as some would put it.

Archived