8/7 @Toronto

eddie83

7 minutes ago, DEOriolesfan said:

Reflects leadership. Ultimately falls back on GM & the manager. Hyde isn’t the guy and this year has show that.

Hyde has his flaws but I can't help but be more critical of Elias.  I know it's harder to buy at the trade deadline than it is to sell, especially these days, but it's difficult to remember a worse deadline for a team this talented yet with obvious needs.  Thank goodness Eflin and Dominguez have looked pretty good (knock on wood).

10 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I must've responded to the wrong comment...someone said "Roy...no excuses." Sorry...

Roy I am not blaming you for touting CM so much.

We all have our favorites and he was playing great in AAA.

But he is horrible.  JH this spring horrible.  Maybe worse.  Your judgement was 10000000000% wrong.

The issue is we have no one to replace him right now. 

I say you send him back down for a week to 10 days and try again.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

These umps are terrible, but Adley ain’t exactly known for his pitch framing.

https://theanalyst.com/2022/08/how-catcher-adley-rutschman-has-transformed-the-baltimore-orioles/

He has done all that with the stick while being a true difference-maker behind the plate. Rutschman has excellent communication skills with his pitchers, a competent throwing arm, smarts, leadership qualities and incredible framing skills.

Framing is basically when the catcher increases called strike probability on a certain pitch with his mitt work. Catchers do this because batters are at an obvious disadvantage in “pitchers’ counts” (0-1, 0-2, 1-2 and even 2-2). The league-wide batting average in those counts is much, much lower than in “hitters’ counts” (3-0, 3-1 or 2-0).

Rutschman excels at pitch framing. Before Thursday’s games, he was fourth in the league with 10.3 framing runs, ahead of defensive stalwarts such as Alejandro Kirk, Austin Barnes, Sean Murphy and Jacob Stallings. We equate that as Rutschman saving the Orioles 10.3 runs over the course of this season.

A couple years ago he was absolutely known for his pitch framing.

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

The error was charged to Mountcastle, but the throw was awful. I wonder whether guys who are victimized by bad D are resentful. It would only be human to be annoyed.

I will reiterate that I did not want to bring Mayo up because defense is important. Put him at DH, or let him get better, but don’t say”it’s ok if you suck with the glove, so long as you hit a lot.”

The team was marvelous after AR was called up in ‘22 because he was so solid. Now people are making excuses for really inexcusable play.

My beef is with Rogers. Elias was mainly interested in him because he’s a cheap warm body for two years. That’s  a really really bad reason to get a guy.

They charged Coby. They took away his error in 1st.  

2 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

The vibes around this team are all wrong. Too many injuries, underperforming (or I should say, performing at the expected level) trades, a manager who seems out of answers, and so on. They have managed to barely hang on for the past few weeks, but it seems inevitable now that a long losing streak will be arriving sooner or later, probably sooner.

That is on coaching and the vibe that he creates all year.  Hyde has gotta go.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Yeah not have to do with 4 of the 5 starters on il.  One of our best relievers on the team out for 3 months.  The all star third baseman hurt it is the leadership of the GM and manager.  Elias clearly didn’t think Mayo was ready even though the fans were screaming for it for months now but then the all star third baseman breaks his hand and he forced to bring him up.  

GM refuses to make a move other than trading for fringe guys and attempted reclamation projects.

Means was shut down last year for elbow issues following TJ surgery. Wells was hurt last year. The writing was on the wall when Bradish was diagnosed with a sprained UCL in January. Not exactly shocking developments for them to be out. Elias has punted pitching early in the draft since he took over, opting to take bats. You knew that bill was gonna be due at some point… 

Hyde has no fire and passion from what I see. It’s like he has no pulse. Just once defend your players. Lifeless team with a manager who isn’t the guy. He can’t manage the bullpen (Webb and Coloumbe injuries both due to being overworked). 

• Upvote 1