Eflin on the injured list….

Br10n

52 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, with Webb, Coulombe, and Bautista for the 7th/8th/9th.

If all those 8 guys were 100% healthy, even if they were all we had, no Burnes or anyone else on the staff, we might be still in the top half of the 12 teams going into the postseason based on the Top 8 Pitchers who would probably pitch 95+% of a team's competitive innings in the postseason.

I honestly don’t feel it’s exaggeration or extreme homerism to say that that group might be better than every top 8 outside of Philadelphia. 

Some of the current playoff teams might have us beat in the bullpen, but those teams’ starters probably wouldn’t measure up to Bradish/Grayson/Eflin/Means. 

Obviously, if everybody gets to have their injured stars back, that would change things (especially for teams like LAD or ATL). But in terms of who the other 11 teams have at the moment, I think I’d take that group over anyone but the Phillies.

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I honestly don’t feel it’s exaggeration or extreme homerism to say that that group might be better than every top 8 outside of Philadelphia. 

Some of the current playoff teams might have us beat in the bullpen, but those teams’ starters probably wouldn’t measure up to Bradish/Grayson/Eflin/Means. 

Obviously, if everybody gets to have their injured stars back, that would change things (especially for teams like LAD or ATL). But in terms of who the other 11 teams have at the moment, I think I’d take that group over anyone but the Phillies.

Do the Dodgers get Ohtani back as a starting pitcher?

I don't see the problem.

Burnes pitches tomorrow on his normal 4 days rest.   Povich has been called up to take Eflin's spot in the rotation on Thursday.  He looked very good in his start over the weekend.

If the O's want to go to a 6 man rotation Young is ready.    Selby and Smith both have options.

The rosters expands on Sept 1st.    O's add a pitcher.

Eflin back on Sept 4th.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

Optimist take: guys who don’t have season-ending injuries will rest, recoup, and stagger back with enough time to get in a groove just as the playoffs begin. The Os go in as a wildcard, catch a hot streak they are capable of with current roster talent, and replicate what the Rangers did last year. 🏆

• Upvote 1

I’m not ready to throw in the towel, but yeah this feels like the dagger. However, I didn’t feel great about the team prior to this. The bats are really killing us right now, and the Loss of Westburg seems to have been about as bad or worse than any of them. 

4 minutes ago, IllinoisOsFan said:

Optimist take: guys who don’t have season-ending injuries will rest, recoup, and stagger back with enough time to get in a groove just as the playoffs begin. The Os go in as a wildcard, catch a hot streak they are capable of with current roster talent, and replicate what the Rangers did last year. 🏆

They have to get in first, though.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do the Dodgers get Ohtani back as a starting pitcher?

Yeah, I think they gotta get him back too. 

They’d be able to match bullets pretty well with the Phillies if they were able to get Glasnow, Yamamoto, and Ohtani back on the mound.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don't see the problem.

Burnes pitches tomorrow on his normal 4 days rest.   Povich has been called up to take Eflin's spot in the rotation on Thursday.  He looked very good in his start over the weekend.

If the O's want to go to a 6 man rotation Young is ready.    Selby and Smith both have options.

The rosters expands on Sept 1st.    O's add a pitcher.

Eflin back on Sept 4th.

Assuming no setbacks this does not have to be a big deal, but any time you hear shoulder that is a bright red flag that it could be worse than we're being told. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

I think as lomg as our best is healthy and hit their stride in early October, we should ne good as long as we can keep counting on Suarez, Kremer, and Povich to get us into the playoffs while the other starters recover and prepare for high leverage games in October.

If I'm the Orioles I don't include Rogers in any part of the equation. Send him to Norfolk with Coach Ramsey to get him fixed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Their fame started with Babe Ruth, they got him for money from the Red Sox, a lot a players feel special to put on their uniform.  There's a movie pride of the Yankees. They are the most famous team in all sports.  People in the UK wear a Yankee cap.

Yeah we know, but the Guardians looked like the best team in the AL for much of the season while the Astros and Royals are currently the hottest.  And that's just the AL.  It's not like this Yankee team has been close to their dominant teams of the past, even if they do have two of the 4 or 5 best hitters in the AL.  

The Orioles just have to hang in there for a month or so and see who comes back healthy and effective.