Keeping John Means Y/N

HowAboutThat

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I absolutely expect that any team that signs him will have him under control for 2026.   I’m guessing whatever contract he signs will have a low base salary, at least one team option, and some incentives based on IP.

Definitely. I just wonder if a team will wait until ‘26 to sign him. I guess it depends on if he’ll be available to pitch at all next year. 

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree …. For me I’d pass. Means inability to stay healthy makes it hard to spend resources and have any real expectations with him. I like Means and appreciate his contributions during the dark years. But he’s just a liability now.

But it's not real resources, and you don't have to have any big expectations. Why not sign him to a low-dollar, incentive-laden deal with some options or thresholds? It's not like you're signing him for $10M with the expectation that he's going to pitch 200 innings. It's a couple $million out of a payroll that'll likely be $125M+ to see if maybe he can contribute in 2026.

It's not a huge deal either way to me, but I can't see signing him as anything but low risk.

• Upvote 1

Means expects to return next season. He had an internal brace procedure, so the recovery time is shorter(?) but he does expect to pitch next season.

Id hope for a ML deal for ‘25-26, with a performance triggered 27 option, at a low price for 25-26 and a higher more competitive price for 27.

To add. There have been a number of Oriole players in the past that have gotten millions and either not earned their keep or have been the kind of person I have not respected. John Means was our best pitcher at a time when the club was bad. John Means owns the latest Oriole no-hitter. John Means is a battler and a good guy. I know history and I know you arn't supposed to let sentimentality get in the way, but I hope the Orioles can work somrthing out with him IF they think he can pitch again. John Means has battled injuries - hence has not made anything near what a healthy John Means could have made. I root for him - I root for players that endure what he has endured and keep trying. Perspective - Chris Davis got 9 million this year and for what? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, waroriole said:

Definitely. I just wonder if a team will wait until ‘26 to sign him. I guess it depends on if he’ll be available to pitch at all next year. 

Nobody knows that with certainly.  He had his surgery on June 3.  It typically takes 12-18 months, averaging 15.  So that’s anywhere from available next June to not available at all.  

I feel pretty confident that Means will be signed by the Orioles on an incentive loaded contract. And I believe he had an internal brace procedure done, not Tommy John reconstructive surgery. The expectation is a shorter recovery time. 

On 8/29/2024 at 6:29 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Here’s what I don’t understand… why would anyone say no?  It’s not our money. Aren’t we supposedly not poor anymore?  Oh wait…

Because the "it's not our money" argument is silly? The argument should be about how no team has unlimited resources, and how do we maximize the use of those limited resources to win the most games.

If you want to have a discussion about signing players and building rosters without any consideration of the costs because it's not your money, I'm not interested in participating.

On 8/28/2024 at 2:05 PM, Too Tall said:

To add. There have been a number of Oriole players in the past that have gotten millions and either not earned their keep or have been the kind of person I have not respected. John Means was our best pitcher at a time when the club was bad. John Means owns the latest Oriole no-hitter. John Means is a battler and a good guy. I know history and I know you arn't supposed to let sentimentality get in the way, but I hope the Orioles can work somrthing out with him IF they think he can pitch again. John Means has battled injuries - hence has not made anything near what a healthy John Means could have made. I root for him - I root for players that endure what he has endured and keep trying. Perspective - Chris Davis got 9 million this year and for what? 

Absolutely… i let sentimentality in because John Means was amazing to have sent a message and called my police officer brother who was in the ICU with Covid when Means pitched his nohitter and met with him weeks later at Camden Yards. 

John Means is Aok with me forever!! 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1