Burnes certainly hasn't pitched like an ACE

Roy Firestone

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Last year Burnes had a 3.98 ERA and 1.263 WHIP in August and a 2.51 ERA and a WHIP under 1 in September.    

Do you really think it’s about pressure?    I doubt that.   I think it’s fine to question if he is an ace or to say he’s not pitching like an ace.  Just don’t tell me he’s an ace in July, not one in August, and then an ace again in September.   Either you feel he’s an ace or you don’t.   Aces have slumps too.

It's been a long time since I felt the Orioles had a real ace, maybe all the way back to Mu$$ina. 

I have high standards for an ace. I don't think Aces wilt under the August pressure of a stretch drive. I don't think Aces give leads right back up after their teams come back for them. I don't think Aces put up 7+ ERA over a 6 start stretch in August.

You can. I have no issues if you feel Burnes is an ace because really, there is no true definition. Is he the clear #1 starter on this team, yes, he should be. Could Eflin be that guy if he returns and pitches like he did before his injury, sure. Eflin was proving to be that guy before the injury. As you said before, Burnes wasn't exactly dominating. He was pitching well, but it's not like he was going out there with unhittable stuff more times than not. 

Burnes was not missing the bats like an ace should and he has struggled in the 5th inning most of the year. 

So yes, I'm going to say Burnes is not an ace. He's solid #2 going though a rough patch.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's been a long time since I felt the Orioles had a real ace, maybe all the way back to Mu$$ina. 

I have high standards for an ace. I don't think Aces wilt under the August pressure of a stretch drive. I don't think Aces give leads right back up after their teams come back for them. I don't think Aces put up 7+ ERA over a 6 start stretch in August.

You can. I have no issues if you feel Burnes is an ace because really, there is no true definition. Is he the clear #1 starter on this team, yes, he should be. Could Eflin be that guy if he returns and pitches like he did before his injury, sure. Eflin was proving to be that guy before the injury. As you said before, Burnes wasn't exactly dominating. He was pitching well, but it's not like he was going out there with unhittable stuff more times than not. 

Burnes was not missing the bats like an ace should and he has struggled in the 5th inning most of the year. 

So yes, I'm going to say Burnes is not an ace. He's solid #2 going though a rough patch.

I’m not calling him an ace.   I just think if he has a hot September and playoff a lot of people who are saying he’s not an ace now will be calling him an ace then.   It seems like you’re open to that as well.  No?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I’m not calling him an ace.   I just think if he has a hot September and playoff a lot of people who are saying he’s not an ace now will be calling him an ace then.   It seems like you’re open to that as well.  No?

If he pitches like an ace in September and in the playoffs will I call him an ace? I'd say he pitched like an ace.

Is he a legitimate ace that you can count on to pitch a good game when you need it, he just showed us this August he was not. Honestly, while he was pitching well, he wasn't exactly dominating like aces do anyways so no, I will call him a good #2 who was pitching like an ace.

Let's hope I can say that.

I think it is an interesting barstool topic, more about how Friedman and Driveline have goofed up baseball, to consider if Corbin Burnes is a Hall of Fame pitcher.

All these runs are being prevented*, yet no one individually does that much.    Somebody probably should be a Hall of Fame pitcher, probably not Nick Anderson or Shawn Armstrong.

Burnes is not in HOF, All-Star, or any kind of good form now but we're mostly going to remember his Oriole-dom by 1 or more postseason outcomes.    He could no hit the Yankees in the final week to clinch the division, and it'd barely register if a couple bad October games follow.

*ESPN just did a piece observing Ruth's 1921 AL hit about .050 points higher than Judge's 2024 AL, and that Babe hit about .475 the 3rd and 4th time through the order.

Looking at Burnes last 3 years, he hasn't had a month remotely close to how bad his August has been. Here are his "worst" months of those respective seasons:

• June: 3.22, 1.388 WHIP, 13.7 SO/9
    • August: 4.81 ERA, 1.188 WHIP, 9.4 SO/9
    • June: 4.99 ERA, 1.174 WHIP, 8.8 SO/9

His August 2024? 7.36 ERA, 1.597 WHIP, 7.7 SO/9. 

There's nothing to like or way to sugarcoat things. He's either hurt (his velocity doesn't seem to suggest it), head isn't in it (new twins), or the O's/Burnes are trying too many things to get him right and it's messing with him. 

Yeah, it's possible that this is just a blip, and he'll rebound, but boy howdy he's atrocious now. Easily our worst pitcher this last month and it's not particularly close. 

To put things in perspective, Irvin's July was miserable and got him kicked out of the rotation and he "only" put up a 6.30 ERA during that time (with a 1.700 WHIP). 

Edited by LookitsPuck

5 hours ago, theobird said:

This one is not on Burnes. This one is on the defense. And I know it’s not popular on here, but your ss cannot be a butcher. Henderson needs to right the ship, or he needs a new position

It's still Burnes' fault then.  If we hadn't traded for Burnes, we could play Joey Ortiz at SS.  😄

• Haha 1

Why throw the same exact pitch/location to Hernandez on the fourth and sixth pitch of that at bat?  Same exact curveball shape in almost the same exact location.  It stands to reason that the pitch will less effective the second time.

4th pitch —> https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=9575ccd6-9f7a-49a4-821a-4387669e6fc8

6th pitch —> https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=49aa5596-501d-4341-89c0-ac28594a2dfd

better result vs Ryan Bliss on July 4th —>  https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sporty-videos?playId=9e260228-c0eb-4417-a6ac-3b5deedf6d96

I know what Only One Oriole say:

"He's definitely not an Ace because of his leg kick to home, now if he did proper training like say a tennis player, bowler or a trotting horse........He also doesn't have a hot enough wife to be considered an Ace-she's got to be at least 9/10th's asian like my internet wife".   Now Trevor Bauer-that's an ace-look at his social media prescense-Burnes is hardly even on-line. "Oh by the way I don't miss OH at all, lots of trading going on-making millions"

• Haha 1