Mayo coming back up

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

So if you’re so worried about retaining his ROY status for next year, why call him up on August 2? Why not wait until mid August when he’d still retain it for next year? What if he didn’t suck when called up? Elias was ok with losing the status then?

Yes, the Westburg injury created an opportunity. It looked like Mayo may have been the best option to help the team if he could hit. He didn't. At that point the extra two weeks of Mayo wasn't worth giving up a shot at ROY. Makes sense to me.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Does he go down when Mountcastle is ready?

Cross that bridge when it happens but we will have the extra roster spot to play with. However, I would guess we get rid of Jimenez, Soto, or Rivera before sending Mayo back down. Could depend on how Mayo does but I think if he hits he sticks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Yes, the Westburg injury created an opportunity. It looked like Mayo may have been the best option to help the team if he could hit. He didn't. At that point the extra two weeks of Mayo wasn't worth giving up a shot at ROY. Makes sense to me.

I just don’t know what anyone could’ve seen since he was sent down that would make you want to bring him up now. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

17 at bats over 7 games while being on the roster for 12 games is hardly enough to come to any conclusion. Every hitter on the roster will go through something similar to 1/17 and that is with far more consistent paying time than what Mayo got. Would I have loved him to go 8/17 with a few homeruns? Of course, but He was set up to fail last time in my opinion. 

If you are looking at his skillset in an entirely objective manner, he plays primarily at DH in 2024 at the MLB level. Unless you believe he's an adequate defensive 3B at the MLB level, and I would love to hear why you would think that, his defensive value is meaningless this year. You want his bat in the lineup. The O's have guys who can play 3B. I've heard no one describe him as even an adequate 1B at the MiLB level, so that seems like a no go for a team trying to win the division or make the play offs. 

While he hasn't had much opportunity in RF this year (and therefore shouldn't be thrown out there in the middle of a playoff race either), I think his best potential position is RF. It's just going to take most of the off season and spring training in 2025 to get him ready to play there. His arm is very powerful and seems to fit just fine in RF. To me, he's a RF. Is he going to be elite? Probably not. But if he's adequate defensively his bat will win the day. Just my $0.02

19 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I just don’t know what anyone could’ve seen since he was sent down that would make you want to bring him up now. 

It's not about anything he did in the two weeks he was down. It's about ROY eligibility. If the rules were different he probably would have stayed.

19 minutes ago, terpoh said:

17 at bats over 7 games while being on the roster for 12 games is hardly enough to come to any conclusion. Every hitter on the roster will go through something similar to 1/17 and that is with far more consistent paying time than what Mayo got. Would I have loved him to go 8/17 with a few homeruns? Of course, but He was set up to fail last time in my opinion. 

If he had hit right away, like 1.000 OPS, he would have gotten more AB's. And I don't think you demote a player like that. I think he would have stayed. Of course, I can't prove it. 

Regardless, I think it is clear from the timing that he is back now because of the ROY rules, which implies he would have stayed if not for the rules. 

5 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

If you are looking at his skillset in an entirely objective manner, he plays primarily at DH in 2024 at the MLB level. Unless you believe he's an adequate defensive 3B at the MLB level, and I would love to hear why you would think that, his defensive value is meaningless this year. You want his bat in the lineup. The O's have guys who can play 3B. I've heard no one describe him as even an adequate 1B at the MiLB level, so that seems like a no go for a team trying to win the division or make the play offs. 

While he hasn't had much opportunity in RF this year (and therefore shouldn't be thrown out there in the middle of a playoff race either), I think his best potential position is RF. It's just going to take most of the off season and spring training in 2025 to get him ready to play there. His arm is very powerful and seems to fit just fine in RF. To me, he's a RF. Is he going to be elite? Probably not. But if he's adequate defensively his bat will win the day. Just my $0.02

Have you watched him run/move?

He's bottom heavy.

He's not a RF.

• Haha 1