The Red Sox Series, 9/9-9/11

Just Regular

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looking forward to Bello schooling us again like he has all season.  3 games, and our slash is .180/.286/.279 against him.  That's right, our slugging is lower than our OBP against him.

I might not even watch tonight.  

I mean, who am I kidding?  I'll watch, but it'll be hate-watching.

He’s an awful matchup for Cowser

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's an awful matchup for everyone in our lineup, dude owns us.  

Was hoping Cowser would finish the season strong but it looks like he's slumping to the finish line.

We did score 6 runs off of him in the first 2 starts of the year (in 10.1 IP). His ERA is 4.75 and his FIP, while better, isn’t that much better. 

May not matter for this offense right now but he’s certainly gettable. 

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looking forward to Bello schooling us again like he has all season.  3 games, and our slash is .180/.286/.279 against him.  That's right, our slugging is lower than our OBP against him.

I might not even watch tonight.  

I mean, who am I kidding?  I'll watch, but it'll be hate-watching.

Which means you'll be in the game thread was everyone "hate watching!" 🤣

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's an awful matchup for everyone in our lineup, dude owns us.  

Was hoping Cowser would finish the season strong but it looks like he's slumping to the finish line.

Every pitcher is a bad matchup for this offense currently. :D

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

We did score 6 runs off of him in the first 2 starts of the year (in 10.1 IP). His ERA is 4.75 and his FIP, while better, isn’t that much better. 

May not matter for this offense right now but he’s certainly gettable. 

I must have been looking at some wrong information then when I typed out the slash line.  

4 hours ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

Their median runs per game based on baseball reference data is 4. So it is almost a full point lower than their mean of 4.93/game. So what that is saying is there has been many more games with 4 or less runs than 5 or more runs. FWIW, the mode is also 4 runs/game which is probably expected based on the other data points. My personal opinion is that the median/mode are much more powerful numbers after 144 games than the mean. Would need to compare this to other teams to see if there is as big of a delta or not.

Just looked at the Yankees and they have a mean of 5.03 runs/game and their median is 5. So their unbiased average is much closer to their biased average which is different than the O's.

It's not that different.   The Yankees have scored 5+ 73 times, the O's have done it 67 times.   So, I think your comparison exaggerates the extent to which the Yankees score more consistently than we do, though I do think they are a bit more consistent.   

Big game tonight. As mediocre as the O's have been, they've stayed afloat by avoiding long losing streaks. This is their first 3-game losing streak since July 21-24 against Texas and Miami. 

There's something to like about the matchup: Crawford has one good, one bad, and one OK start against us this year, in that order, but the O's won all three of those games. Meanwhile Suarez has only seen the Sox once and threw 6 shutout.