Is it possible that our organization's emphasis on new technologies, data driven analysis, etc has perhaps gone a little too far...

SteveA

There could be some interesting stuff to talk about here, or individual cases where what you're saying is true, but I think the short answer is no. Analytics are going to be more accurate overall than the old-school axioms-- the axioms that are provably true are probably still coached.  

On point 1 we definitely have some players struggling to make adjustments and some of that may be that they're coached to hunt barrels at the expense of contact. The O's are built to maximize power and you can see that in their results (1st in SLG but 9th in AVG). Maybe a different approach could help some guys break out of a slump more easily, but it's hard to know because there are always struggling players no matter the coaching approach. Were the the Showalter O's missing old-school wisdom when they let Adam Jones continue whiffing on low and away sliders? 

Point 2 I probably buy the least because pitching analytics across MLB have been so generally effective in helping players maximize their game. Probably there are ways the O's could be using their data better. Not every decision and result will be perfect. But analytics is golden for pitchers. 

On point 3, is there any reason to think the O's are generally weak on defensive fundamentals compared to most teams? Gunnar had his recent error binge but that's all I can think of and that seemed more like a personal thing to me. 

Yes, it's possible.   But we don't know the extent to which the "old school" stuff is still taught.   I wouldn't assume it is ignored or underemphasized.   But, perhaps it is.   Nobody was asking that question last year or the first 2.5 months of this season, though.   I doubt the approach was any different when we were playing .650 ball than it is now.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

In the spirit of the upcoming Boston series; David Ortiz said two things that are worth quoting in this tread:

1. "Baseball is a hard game to play; so no matter what uniform you wear, you have something in common with the guy in the other dugout: we all fail. The game is built that way."

2. "Listen, bro: If you can hit a baby doll head with a broomstick, you can hit an inside cutter. You don’t need a batting cage in the Dominican. You just have to love the game. And you need to be able to fight off your sister when she comes looking for her baby doll.” 

IMHO this game lends itself to over analysis. It's a kid's game. It's just that in the MLB everyone is making huge amounts of money to play it. They all have to justify their salaries. But in the end, it's still just a kid's game.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

In the spirit of the upcoming Boston series; David Ortiz said two things that are worth quoting in this tread:

1. "Baseball is a hard game to play; so no matter what uniform you wear, you have something in common with the guy in the other dugout: we all fail. The game is built that way."

2. "Listen, bro: If you can hit a baby doll head with a broomstick, you can hit an inside cutter. You don’t need a batting cage in the Dominican. You just have to love the game. And you need to be able to fight off your sister when she comes looking for her baby doll.” 

IMHO this game lends itself to over analysis. It's a kid's game. It's just that in the MLB everyone is making huge amounts of money to play it. They all have to justify their salaries. But in the end, it's still just a kid's game.

I like David Ortiz just a little better now from reading those quotes, especially the second one.  But I still basically can't stand him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think one the best things that Elias brought to the team is having everyone on the same page.    The GM, Manager, Coaches both majors and minors leagues, the  players and the scouts.    That was  not where the O's were before Elias.   I think there is a real benefit to that.

I think the problems with the O's can be summed up in a few words.

1) Injuries.    2) Breaking in rookies.   3) Fatigue  4)Pitchers not holding runners

I think its a waste  of time to point out how many pitchers the O's have lost to a group on the OH.  Everyone knows.   And they know the pitching would be much better with all the O's pitchers healthy.

Losing Westburg hurt the team on both sides the ball.  Gunnar has play 142 of the 144 games. 140 of those were at SS.   If Mateo was healthy during the dog days of summer would Gunnar have gotten a few days at DH that helped him get some rest?    

You can say a lot of things about Hays but when he was in left the ball consistently and accurately was on target to 2nd base.   And the other team knew it and often did not run.  Cowser has a strong arm but the accuracy is a work in progress.   That is what happens when rookies are developed in the majors.    

Holliday has the same rookie problem.  It will get better but it does affect the team,

The offense is 2nd in the majors.   But what we are seeing in the 2nd half has a lot to do with fatigue.

Both  Burnes and Kimbrel concentrate more on getting the hitters out and little on holding the runners.   And the other team takes advantage.

For me looking at whether the current analytics based approach could use more old school in not really the point.    Any problems the O's have are more:

1) Injuries.    2) Breaking in rookies.   3) Fatigue  4) Pitchers not holding runners

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

In all the interviews with the front office folks, nothing makes me think they are tossing things out the window because of an organizational approach. Like Frobby said, approach hasn't change between the first half of the year and today, and I do not think the level of O's analytics is going to ignore obvious things like that. These are just not going to be things they haven't thought about before.

I do worry some about defensive fundamentals which have been lacking since the Bobby Dickerson days, though I think that has nothing to do with analytics (which is more about positioning) and more to do with the fact that Dickerson was very good at his job and whoever is doing that work now is not as good.

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

1) Injuries.    2) Breaking in rookies.   3) Fatigue  4) Pitchers not holding runners

To me #3 is the item that doesn't belong here, since there's no reason to think the Orioles should suffer more from fatigue than any other team. If anything the roster age skewed toward youth/prime years should be in their favor. The one detail that might make a difference is having your franchise player be a catcher (Adley), or older player (Kimbrel), where fatigue could have more of an impact.

Injuries in general, probably yeah. Every team has them, but I imagine ours are objectively worse than most this year. 

Edited by now
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, now said:

To me #3 is the item that doesn't belong here, since there's no reason to think the Orioles should suffer more from fatigue than any other team. If anything the roster age skewed toward youth/prime years should be in their favor. The one detail that might make a difference is having your franchise player be a catcher (Adley), or older player (Kimbrel), where fatigue could have more of an impact.

Injuries in general, probably yeah. Every team has them, but I imagine ours are objectively worse than most this year. 

He's only played 92 games at catcher (88 starts).  I'm not one to equate a day at DH to a day off but he hasn't been overworked.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

I wish we went back to the dead ball era, so that homers become very difficult, and singles, doubles, stolen bases, etc, become valuable again.

Aren't we kind of living the dead ball era in Birdland right now?  Homers ARE difficult to come by, and I am finding that any singles, doubles and stolen bases ARE valuable again.  Be careful what you wish for.

I was sure hoping that one Hangout "prophet" would be right when he suggested that just turning the calendar page to September would be the Orioles signal to turn it on and start playing well again.  Maybe that will happen on September 16th., but if I had my way, it would start on like, October 1.