How does Povich fit into your 2025 plans?

Sports Guy

Povich is in the rotation for me unless one of two things happens:

1. He's a total flop (like a 8-9+ ERA in the spring)
  2. We somehow sign or otherwise acquire 2 arms better than him

Neither of those things is impossible, but I think it's fairly unlikely that he'll be that bad in spring training. I like what I saw from him after the demotion/recall, and hope he's able to build on it. We'll never know what we have in him if he doesn't get a long term shot. 

The tough part is that we are 1,000% in win-now mode, and management may not think we have time to evaluate him for the full season next year, hence, signing or acquiring 2 arms.

6 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Neither of those things is impossible, but I think it's fairly unlikely that he'll be that bad in spring training. I like what I saw from him after the demotion/recall, and hope he's able to build on it. We'll never know what we have in him if he doesn't get a long term shot. 

The tough part is that we are 1,000% in win-now mode, and management may not think we have time to evaluate him for the full season next year, hence, signing or acquiring 2 arms.

It only takes 2 arms if you'd have him in the rotation over Suarez.

Personally, I'd have Suarez in the rotation over him going in to next year as things stand now.

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It only takes 2 arms if you'd have him in the rotation over Suarez.

Personally, I'd have Suarez in the rotation over him going in to next year as things stand now.

OP made the assumption that GRod, Eflin, and Kremer would be in the OD rotation. So I actually put Suarez and Povich in the same boat, but Suarez makes the OD roster almost without question because he can pitch effectively out of the bullpen. 

1 hour ago, mcneck said:

He reminds me an awful lot of Brian Matusz. His command needs to be nearly perfect to be effective. The stuff is decent but not great and in this day and age where guys are turning around 100 MPH fasrballs he's very hittable.

Povich has better stuff than Matusz.

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

I believe Elias plans to bring in two more SP's, the quality isnt what im sure about. But no question he'll want to replace Burnes. Which is why I didnt comment in this thread yet because Povich might not have a spot open at the beginning of the year.