Rubenstein Article

SouthRider

53 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Well it’s $25MM in additional payroll across 2024 and 2025, so it’s not peanuts.

Jimenez isn't coming back in 2025, and the White Sox paid most of what was left on it for 2024. The O's basically got him for free. Eflin's salary was only partial, too. Granted, Eflin next year is a decent chunk in 2025. But we'll see if Rubenstein spends real dough, because Angelos was responsible for Burnes ~$16m salary on the books in 2023 and the increase in payroll of nearly 40% YoY at the start of the season. 

I'm reserving judgement on Rubenstein until we see some medium/long term deals both in free agency *and* via extending young players. He basically inherited a ~$100m payroll and added minimally to it throughout the year. This offseason is going to go an incredibly long way to judging just how much of a change there really is. So far, the two benefits have been: he likes mingling with the fans and says the right things and no drama (Kevin Brown, thin skin situations, etc.). Rubenstein is doing a lot of the same things that Angelos got heat for: T Rowe Price, land rights, etc. And while I don't think those are bad, we haven't seen much from Rubenstein materially, yet. 

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Jimenez isn't coming back in 2025, and the White Sox paid most of what was left on it for 2024. The O's basically got him for free. Eflin's salary was only partial, too. Granted, Eflin next year is a decent chunk in 2025. But we'll see if Rubenstein spends real dough, because Angelos was responsible for Burnes ~$16m salary on the books in 2023 and the increase in payroll of nearly 40% YoY at the start of the season. 

I'm reserving judgement on Rubenstein until we see some medium/long term deals both in free agency *and* via extending young players. He basically inherited a ~$100m payroll and added minimally to it throughout the year. This offseason is going to go an incredibly long way to judging just how much of a change there really is. So far, the two benefits have been: he likes mingling with the fans and says the right things and no drama (Kevin Brown, thin skin situations, etc.). Rubenstein is doing a lot of the same things that Angelos got heat for: T Rowe Price, land rights, etc. And while I don't think those are bad, we haven't seen much from Rubenstein materially, yet. 

This year was definitely the honeymoon phase for Rubenstein. This next year is where the relationship can go any direction. 

As for the T. Rowe deal, I feel pretty confident in speculating that a compromise had to be made after Angelos secretly agreed to give them the stadium’s naming rights prior to the sale being announced/finalized with Rubenstein. Hopefully the Orioles are still getting some kind of meaningful revenue from the advertising because it was pretty widespread.