Trade proposal...

Cuellar35

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They have said they want to lower payroll. If that’s true, not sure how else they do it.

Mike Elias paid about 10-20% of a dumb contract once given James McCann...maybe he'll do the same for Andrew Benintendi.

Looking at their Cot's, Nicky Lopez estimated for Arb4 at almost $5M feels like a non-tender waiting to happen.    I still have a feeling Urias and Mateo set to be $3M+ aren't both locks - Amed Rosario falling to under $2M was one of last winter's outcomes that most surprised various crowdsourced guesses.

5 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I really doubt he's trying to go full strip down to like a $50M payroll, though I'm sure they'd be thrilled if anyone was dumb enough to take Benintendi.

Benintendi is a sharp example how any terrible FA contract effectively makes the player a permanent free agent.    He isn't on free agent lists, but if any club wants to pay him like 1/4 - you or I could sign a 1-day contract with the Orioles to be traded for him and all but a few million of his contract's remainder.

Kris Bryant is a sometimes interesting player for me if a winning ballclub has faith he is done a Roger Dorn chapter of his career.   From Matt Harvey to Craig Kimbrel, I think Elias has a little taste for big name ballplayers.   I don't believe the Rockies anytime the next few years will coax out whatever good play he might have left to give the game.

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Frequently injured, RHB in a park that plays poorly for RHB, and some attitude questions. He is owed $15M. If they paid his salary I might do it, otherwise I would offer a much lesser prospect package. He is interesting in that he could platoon with Cedric in CF while also picking up some AB's against RHP.

If the Sox want to cut payroll I highly doubt they will eat salary maybe a little bit but nothing significant. 

3 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

If the Sox want to cut payroll I highly doubt they will eat salary maybe a little bit but nothing significant. 

Why do they need to cut payroll? If I were them, the top priority would be acquiring MLB quality prospects. Regardless, if I am the Orioles, I am not paying $15M and a team top 5 prospect for a guy now with perhaps negative contract value. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Why do they need to cut payroll? If I were them, the top priority would be acquiring MLB quality prospects. Regardless, if I am the Orioles, I am not paying $15M and a team top 5 prospect for a guy now with perhaps negative contract value. 

I'm not sure..I remember hearing the Sox had a pretty high demand on Robert, has the price come down again I don't know. I believe the owner said that payroll could get lower this year. Shoot there is rumblings he may sell to the franchise to the Dave Stewart group who then would moved them to Nashville. At least this is what I read recently. 

If the Sox want to get rid of payroll, it won't take three players - any three players - to do it, let alone a top 7 org prospect (or whatever Bradfield is currently).  Offer them a non-pitching lottery ticket and offer to take on the contract.  Why give up anything else of value?

Some great replies.

While I personally would hate to lose Bradfield especially,  there is also the idea that you can never truly forecast how a prospect will do in the bigs.  Obviously there are warts on Robert's game but there is no denying his talent.  For those that say Elias hangs on to his prospects too long this would be an opportunity to cash some of those chips in.  I can see both sides of the argument here.

6 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

If the Sox want to get rid of payroll, it won't take three players - any three players - to do it, let alone a top 7 org prospect (or whatever Bradfield is currently).  Offer them a non-pitching lottery ticket and offer to take on the contract.  Why give up anything else of value?

That only works if no other teams values him more highly.