What the Os did at the deadline will matter

Sports Guy

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias isn’t giving relievers 3+ year contracts. 

I think he would consider 1 3-year contract for a stud reliever. Multiple, definitely not. 

I would sign Scott to a 3/$50 all day. Team needs an answer for the setup spot that isn't Cano or Coulombe. 

• Upvote 1

Even a few weeks after our season ended, I am still amazed at how boring and weak we were for the last 90 games of the season (including the 2 playoff games). I don't live in Baltimore, but if I did, there would have to be something done to move the excitement needle to get me to the stadium after the way this past season played out. One single (error-aided) walk-off win since May 15. Losing almost every game they played when trailing after 6 innings. Highly touted rookies who are unwatchable at the plate. The offensive tailspin to close out the season. Lame. 

I will never forget when Roberto Alomar signed with us in the 1995/1996 offseason.  Now that was a huge signing and even though we underachieved in 1995 given the talent on that roster, I felt super excited heading into 1996 mainly because of Alomar. And the 1996 and 1997 teams were more entertaining and successful in the postseason than last year's crash and burn Os. When I feel way more confident in Tommy Edman in a big playoff moment than any one of our young talents, that is a problem. 

The attendance at those playoff games was very telling. I don't remember Games 1 and 2 of the 2014 ALDS against Detroit looking that way. So I am hoping something is done this offseason to generate at least a little excitement and hope.

59 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

In that scenario what is the marketing pitch to sell or upgrade season tickets?   

-Rubenstein is going to be under pressure to add payroll by MLPA and a very influential faction of owners.  The Orioles have not yet been added to the MLBPA grievance re: teams not spending their revenue sharing funds (Oakland, TB, Pittsburgh, Miami).  This will be a HUGE issue in the next CBA and something  that new ownership given their visibility (both inside and outside MLB) would like to avoid at all costs.

Marketing - rerun that Gunnar Henderson and Cal Ripken commercial a whole lot :)

From this fan's perspective, it is win-win if Rubenstein makes some kind of notable splash.    I agree Angelos Orioles were close to the worst actors from the MLBPA's perspective.

Ryan Mountcastle, AAA MVP, was a perfect storm of a talented player having his career launch constrained by circumstances.    Him and everyone else who occasionally wears Powder Puff girls suits might have the kind of hard feelings for the Club that Corbin Burnes had for the Milwaukee Club.

A notable splash turns down the heat on Baltimore as a bad actor for the entire union, and maybe even wins a little equity with championship caliber players as a place to stay.    I do still feel like Elias would recommend Bregman above Burnes as a place to invest a bunch of money long term.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I think he would consider 1 3-year contract for a stud reliever. Multiple, definitely not. 

I would sign Scott to a 3/$50 all day. Team needs an answer for the setup spot that isn't Cano or Coulombe. 

Unless I'm wrong, and it's very possible that I am, Mike Elias has yet to sign a single free agent to a multi-year deal.  I believe the last FA we signed to a multi-year deal remains Alex Cobb back in 2018.

All that to say, I'd be pretty stunned if Elias' first significant FA signing is a reliever.

10 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Unless I'm wrong, and it's very possible that I am, Mike Elias has yet to sign a single free agent to a multi-year deal.  I believe the last FA we signed to a multi-year deal remains Alex Cobb back in 2018.

All that to say, I'd be pretty stunned if Elias' first significant FA signing is a reliever.

You are indeed correct. This will be the first offseason where he probably has the leeway to sign a free agent for more than 1 year. 

Ultimately, I doubt he does sign a 3-year reliever deal. I just don't think it's out of the question for the right guy.